Silent Scan MRI

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gio Makyo, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Gio Makyo

Gio Makyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/19/2014
      Has anyone had an MRI using the new GE silent scan technology?
      It's supposed to be only about 3 dB louder then whatever the ambient room noise level is. That seems hard to believe, given that most MRI scanners are around 100 dB or more. If anyone has had one of the scans please report how it went.

2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I had a normal MRI recently and had no problems at all wearing earplugs + ear protectors. It was just mainly dull as hell to lie there for 20-30 minutes. It gets hot btw at the end.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gio Makyo

Gio Makyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/19/2014
      I can't use your plugs or earmuffs due to extreme air pain from hyperacusis. That's why I'm looking for the quietest MRI possible.

4. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have used both. It is much quieter and less invasive (no long white tube). However as Sound Wave said, I just wore ear plugs and relaxed. I do prefer the newer MRI machines. I think eventually they will all be this way.

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      just had my first 3 T MRI - 20 minutes of scanning time total about an hour inside the machine

Although it wasn't really quiet it also was okay with good earplugs.

Maybe loud like riding an old subway train..not exactly quiet but again not acoustic-trauma loud like shooting ranges/nightclubs etc..

Mostly low frequency sounds with a series of mid frequency beeps at the end. Overall good experience

I was in the latest state of the art Toshiba Vantage Galan 3T machine which is supposed to be the quietest in its class at the moment.

Its also wider inside

The GE silent scan is only using the software to reduce noise but only in some scans such as head - for deep thorax scans they use full power and its not going to be silent at all according to the operators I spoke to.

Look for hospitals using any of the Toshiba Vantage line, those are the quietest MRI devices.

for 3 T you cannot use earmuffs even in plastic as it creates image noise in the scans, we tried with some muffs and a rubber band I put together around my head, using peltor x5a muffs detached from the metallic head band.

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Was it an open MRI machine? That is not the same as a silent scan. I've had a GE silent scan and it still involved a long tube.

7. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I've had two MRIs with GE Silent Scan machines and they had to be repeated with a regular MRI machine because the quality was lacking. A large spot that I've had on my brain did not appear with the silent scan, but it was still very much there and it was important that my doctors monitored it.

As @Bobby B said, some particular scan sequences will be a similar volume regardless of what machine is used.

I cannot remember what the regular MRI machine was, but it was relatively new. The MRI techs gave me earplugs, earmuffs, and put huge foam cushions around my head. I could barely hear the techs when they shouted. With that much ear protection, it sounded as quiet (maybe even quieter) than the silent scan machine.

Oh and if you do the silent scan, still where ear plugs. It's really not that quiet.