Singulair (Montelukast) — Anyone Here Use It/Have Any Experience with It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SteveSkis92, May 13, 2016.

1. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      Hi all, just a quick question for you guys. I recently visited a Pulmonologist who diagnosed me with exercise induced asthma. Not at all surprising as I had asthma as a kid and I nearly watched my Dad die of an asthma attack skiing in Colorado a few years ago (exercise induced as well)

Long story short, he gave me an inhaler and prescribed me a 10mg daily dose of Singulair (Montelukast sodium).

Does anyone here use Singulair? Any effect on your tinnitus? I was prescribed Singulair for about 10 years when I was a kid, but I outgrew my asthma (or so we thought) and got off of it. The only side effect I can remember is that I did have LOTS of nightmares as a kid, which kind of worries me... any advice?

I'm kind of curious as to what an anti-inflammatory would do to my tinnitus (potentially in a positive way because I suspect my tinnitus might be largely inflammation/allergy based) but I don't want to risk it if people have had bad experiences.

Any advice is appreciated! Hang in there everyone!
      -Steve

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @SteveSkis92,
      I take it as I'm a severe asthmatic on lots of medications and under the care of the severe asthma unit.
      Singulair is fine and should not affect your tinnitus at all. I have been taking it many years...

lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. SDroses

SDroses Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I started taking Singulair when I was misdiagnosed with allergies and it was the one medication I noticed seemed to help. I figured this out by starting and stopping medications and supplements for weeks at a time and documenting what I heard/how I felt.

4. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Since I've recently re-acquired a very intense vibration like bass in my ear from somehow a combination of crying/stress from my grandfather dying and using new earplugs that I'm assuming created a lot of negative pressure (since it molds to your oute rear) in my ear from pushing it in over and over to mold it to the out ear, I've been told that most likely I've created a perfect storm scenario of issue, supposedly a combination of ETD and perhaps fluid. I suspect this is all false and I probably have Middle Ear Myclonus, but I'm holding out hope it's not.

Flonase and Allegra-D have done nothing for the 3 weeks I've been on it, and my Dr. thought I should change it up to Singulair as he said the mechanism of it works much differently.

Has anyone take this? There seems to be a lot of hype online with people saying it causes a lot of severe mental disorders, anxiety, depression, tics, spasms, suicidal thoughts etc., More than usual amounts about this, which has me nervous.

Has anyone had success with this medication?

5. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Hi everyone,

I got noise induced tinnitus this January after a loud new year's party my office organised.

In the 10 months I’ve had it, I would say it has slightly increased (or at least my perception of it?).

I am also an asthma patient (mild/moderate) and have to take my preventive asthma medicine “Singulair (Montekulast) 10mg” daily. I know I’ve asked this before but never really got enough replies, so just putting it here again, is this medicine known to cause/increase tinnitus?

I’ve done a quick Google search and one website stated pain in the ears as a side effect (don’t have that, other than hyperacusis). Has anyone got any experience / used this medication and if it ever did anything to their tinnitus in a negative way?

Thanks for your support!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Mikejt

Mikejt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Montelukast?
      I just started taking Montelukast and have noticed loud tinnitus recently. I stopped taking it for a couple of weeks and the tinnitus almost went away completely. I started taking it again a few days ago and the tinnitus is back. So I have stopped taking it again.

I have not found a link when searching google but do suspect Montelukast is causing tinnitus in my case.

7. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      I no longer take Montelukast but it didn't have bad effects on my tinnitus.

8. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      I was prescribed Montelukast prior to getting tinnitus. I never took it but was thinking about trying it out since it’s an anti-inflammatory and may help with tinnitus and ETD like issues. Most of the anecdotal reports I have read seem to say it has helped people with tinnitus but I guess it also depends on individual anatomy and cause of tinnitus.

Curious to hear others’ experience with it.

9. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      I took Singulair for years but stopped because of the cost a few years ago. I don’t even think I noticed my tinnitus until long after switching to other inhaled medications.

I thought I recalled reading recently that there was some side effect from Singulair more recently discovered?? I’ll read up.

• Like Like x 1
    10. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I have been taking Singulair for many years. I take it at night. It works great. No side effects at all. To me it's been beneficial.

• Like Like x 1