Slamming Car Door Spiked Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert18, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      machine noise in factory, headphone, stressed
      My wife and I had an argument last night while driving and when we got home she slammed the car door because of too much anger and my tinnitus seems to have become louder although I was wearing earplugs. I'm worried that it could have caused damage.

Has anyone had this experience and has it settled down?

Thanks and God bless.
      Robert

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      No

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I'm sure wearing ear plugs must have provided some protection. Have you ruled out stress or thinking about it as a potential cause of the spike?

4. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Ear plugs in the car...do you wear ear plugs often? Maybe too often? Over protection makes your ears worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I always wear my earplugs when driving because our car is loud enough when accelerating and my t reacts of the noise inside and outside the car for more than 30 minutes of driving but only a couple of hours and it settle down when I got home. I might have sensitive to sounds or hyperacuses .

I might have a spiked due to stressed or a combination of loud noise.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A lot of threads in this forums mentioned about car door or home door slam spikes their T.
      Sometimes, it is unavoidable. I am glad that you wear ear plugs.
      Giving it a few days, you will feel better.

God bless !

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you guys for the reply.
      maybe the next day it will settle down or at least lower the volume .

god bless us all,
      Robert

8. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Yes, it will settle. A car door will not cause permanent damage. But yeah, you have hyperacusis so it's much easier for those of us who suffer from H to spike. If you can improve your hyperacusis you will spike less.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I had this happen to me two days ago with no ear plugs, passenger side door slammed and the next day my right ear is spiking.

I measure how loud it was and got 90db if passenger is slammed with medium force when meter is on drivers seat.

is there anyway 90db impulse noise cause acoustic trauma?

10. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Eric N See the chart below. I think it might cause a temporary spike, but I don't think it would be anything permanent. Even if our hearing threshold is reduced, a split second sound at 90 Db shouldn't cause any permanent damage.

Also the European standards are even most strict than the OSHA ones, so this is even more conservative than the normal standards.
      jauge_temps_en.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

it should not, but I am having a hard time hearing the tone from a tone generator matching the spike frequency, I am not sure if it was like before or not and I had this tone from before but its very loud now.

12. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I still think it will be temporary. Try to rest / protect your ears for a little.

13. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I think i suffer from OCD and really not helping myself. I wanted to test how loud it was again to reassure myself that it was not too loud so I car slammed the door 4 times with me outside the car with earmuffs on, from the outside it was around 85db or so , that should be ok with earmuffs but I wore the muffs on top of a winter hat for a couple of the tests, I wonder how much that reduces the protection, and now I am worried too have caused more damage.

There is no way this could have caused any issues right? It did not seem loud with the muffs on. Anxiety is a real bitch I wish I could get it under control

14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Eric N I completely understand. Even if you didn't have proper hearing protection (you did) 85 Db wouldn't be loud enough to cause permanent damage since it lasted for split second. Since you wore hearing protection I don't see any way that it could cause damage.

You are obviously fine in this care, but in the future make sure your hearing protection is against your ears with nothing in between. In this care it was fine and nothing will happen, but just for future reference if you want the full protection effect.

I would also suggest going to see a doctor or therapist to try CBT or try some medication to help with your anxiety. I would suggest def doing CBT and maybe trying some supplements that help anxiety. @another sean is very knowledgeable on this subject.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Had you not been wearing earplugs, I'd be worried. If you wore earplugs, this has got to be a temporary spike.

16. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm trying not to panic here as you mention it's very little chance of damage, but the high pitch tone that's has gotten quieter over the last couple of months has returned again with a vengeance, it to be a damn shame if I made my tinnitus worse intentionally , very stupid of me to have done this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Eric N I've had spikes due to slammed doors. All of them ended up being temporary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      If that was the case you would have an acoustic trauma everytime you sneeze.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer
      Hi Bill good day,
      During that day of spiked by a slamming car door then the next day it settle down it was temporary .
      And yes I was wearing earplugs when it happened.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ah my ears are very sensitive it looks like I am spiking so bad right now

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have some predinsone around should I try it? they are two month expired though.

I was thinking of trying one 50mg pill, its been 5 days now since the spike.

Also there is not significant change on my audiogram I had another hearing test but we all know that does not mean much for T

22. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Please don't Eric. In the last month I've had smoke detectors go off, slammed doors, broken glass, loud bedroom activities (use your imagination), and many other things that would have sent me into a state of panic when my hyperacusis was at full tilt. If my severely damaged hearing can handle it, I'm 100 percent confident that yours can.

I understand that folks are just trying to help, but I truly believe that those suggesting prednisone should be have their posts removed, this is extremely reckless advice, as it is a very dangerous drug that has been known to actually cause tinnitus in some cases. I've even heard members suggest to others to lie to their physicians to obtain it, which should result in a ban quite frankly. I would only seek out prednisone if I was exposed to something above ~130 decibels, such as a gun shot or explosion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @AZeurotuner alright I wont take it i will just let it be.

• Like Like x 2
    24. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When I was at my worst I did just that, my brother dropped a stool on the floor, my T went crazy, stress went up, and long story short... I lied to the emergency rooms doctors and said I had a motorcycle tire blow up on me when I inflating it.

Fast forward to today, I was showering and went to grab my hair conditioner, that big heavy thing slipped right out of my hand and made a very loud "thud" when it hit the floor of the tub. That was probably just as loud, or louder than the stool incident I mentioned before. I said "shit!", got mad for like 30 seconds and completely got over it, my ears feel fine as I write this, and that wasn't even close to as loud as the latest smoke detector incident I had on Saturday.

I'd seek out treatment for hyperacusis if you're not up to DIYing like it I did. It will get better if you take steps to address the H, you have my word Eric.

Best wishes,
      Ross

• Like Like x 1
    25. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      hey Ross (@AZeurotuner)

thanks for the posts - keen for some advice - will pm you (ear-related advice, not to do with your bedroom activities...)