Sleep Chemicals Could Heal Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sonic17, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      I have been noticing that when I dream I do not have Tinnitus, so I imagine my T goes off while I sleep (awwww, I love sleep). I also notice that in the couple of seconds before I fall asleep I can hear my T diminish; as when I am waking up there is a brief few seconds that I do not hear Tinnitus. When I am fully awake T comes on the same way it has for the last 9 months.....strong.

So, my question is: How many other T sufferers notice their T fades or completely diminishes when they are sleeping?

It would make sense to me then, that if T stops while sleeping, there must be some neurotransmitters or chemicals in the brain that either turn on or off during sleep that diminishes T. Couldn't a medication be developed that mimics the alterations that go on in the brain during sleep, without actually making us sleep? This way T could fade while we are awake; just like antidepressants make us feel happy even when we are not and anti-anxiety meds make us feel calm even if we are not - just by changing chemicals in our brains. Could there not be a medication similar for T?

Been thinking about this for a few days.....I need to find some expert scientists knowledgeable in sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      machine noise in factory, headphone, stressed
      I agree,
      my t gets lowered when I wake up in the morning and yogi restful sleep herbal tea helps me a lot that calms my mind and body.
      There are doctors and scientists who conduct the phase 3 trials on am 101 by Auris Medical clinic and by 1st quarter this year we hope and pray that they will succeed.

• Like Like x 3
    3. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @Sonic17, I thought almost everyone has no tinnitus while they sleep or dream. That's why I don't understand why some say they have 24/7 tinnitus. I can go to sleep almost quiet and awaken to crazy loud head noise, which is a terrible way to start out a day. People like Jack Vernon were asked this question and they don't have a good answer for awakening tinnitus.

I found this article that talks about C1-C3 affecting your ears. I will ask the Dr. about a foraminotomy of my upper cervical at my next appt. I thought your tinnitus was most likely caused by a nerve compression in your neck from your injury? I have some nasty static noise right now.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Neck-Problems-That-Cause-Tinnitus&id=7279270

https://www.spine-health.com/video/cervical-posterior-foraminotomy-video

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Check the neck, what the heck?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      @just1morething I appreciate the article and the video, thank you very much. My guess is my tinnitus is due to my herniated disc, but the neurosurgeon I saw disagrees with me. The tinnitus started 2 weeks after I herniated my disc. The neurosurgeon I saw is supposed to be one of the best in Canada.....I sent my mri to a spine clinic in Minnesota for a second opinion. I definitely have cord compression from the disc injury.....scares me to type that.
      I am not sure I would get the posterior foraminotomy. I know widening the space to relieve pressure on the nerves in the spinal canal makes sense, but removing bone from the neck would only lead to a weaker neck....causing other areas of the neck more stress and therefore more likely to get injured. I could be wrong, but it seems like they should replace the bone they remove to add more support.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sonic17, That's kinda strange as I had stinging/burning toes 2 weeks after I had something go wrong with my lower back. I was visiting my mom in July 2014 and came home and couldn't sit down. I had to plead with the back surgeon to do some injections to my lower back. The last surgeon said it's spondylolisthesis and would require a L5-S1 fusion. I'm still working on that, but the tinnitus is the major annoyance. All my tinnitus problems started out in my left ear years ago. It sounded like a high pitched siren.

I had cord compression in my lower neck, so had a C5-C7 fusion. Unfortunately I got a hematoma and almost choked to death, so I had emergency surgery and was in the hospital 10 days. I was hoping the noise would go away but it didn't. I'm thinking it's more upper cervical now, but am not totally sure. I had high pitched ringing last night only to awaken to loud hissing in my right ear during the night. I was thinking it was Eustachian tube caused so I blew them out but still have a static type hissing right now. I was using a oral appliance for my left TMJ last night. I'm looking at a bit of everything in desperation I guess.

You may be right on the foraminotomy. If the surgeon has to remove osteophytes then it would make the neck more unstable without a fusion. I certainly don't want a upper cervical fusion as your neck rotation would be severely limited. So I'm looking at TMJD, ETD, Cervical Disorders etc. as possible causes of my noise. I do have HF hearing loss too, but the noise seems too loud for that.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sonic17, Maybe it's just wishful thinking to think the noise is coming from the neck? I'm certain my toe numbness/stinging is coming from my lower back though. I will ask the Dr. next week on possible cervical tinnitus. I don't think physical therapy will fix it if it is coming from the neck facet joints.

8. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sonic17, yeah cord compression looks scary. I looked at my MRI on my computer and compared it to some on YouTube. I was a bit worried about getting more tingling or numbness in my hands. But I really thought about the tinnitus potentially being gone. I shouldn't have had day surgery in hindsight. I was originally scheduled for overnight surgery, but seen they tried calling me, so I called them back. They had a day surgery opening...big mistake. The other surgeons I had seen didn't seem to want to do anything.

I will be seeing the nuerosurgeon this Wednesday to discuss things. This noise is really bothering me, kind of a swirling noise in my head right now. I was going to try Cymbalta again, but afraid of side effects.

The thing with cord compression is that you wonder if the discs could push further into your spinal cord if you had another injury.