Sleeping Well Makes Tinnitus Louder?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaybeee, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      Has anyone noticed that a good sleep worsens their tinnitus?

2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Good sleep almost always helps reduce my T. It depends on how you define good sleep though? Most people need between 7-8 hours, but this has to be a regular pattern with bed being at the same - or similar time - each night. Obviously this would mean getting up at a similar time as well. This will keep your biological circadian rhythm running smoothly, which in turn reaps many health benefits.

Sometimes good sleep can be mistaken for over-sleeping, which can be just as bad as under-sleeping.

I'm not suggesting you didn't have a good nights sleep, but one night just really isn't worth worrying about to be honest. See how you feel after a couple of weeks or so of good sleep.

Scientifically speaking there are only benefits; good sleep hygiene can never be bad for you.

3. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Mine just stays the same, but if I have a crappy sleep, because I start losing my mind I think I perceive my T as louder. But really it's just consistently crappy.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      My T is basicly gone for 20 minutes after sleeping.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      @Ed209 Hi Ed. I had a good 8 hours. It was bliss and I awoke refreshed. Unfortunately my T was then the loudest it's been for the whole day then. I noticed the same when I attempted using mirtazapine on two occasions - great sleep but loud T.

6. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

We're all different Jaybeee, and what I referred to is mainly anecdotal evidence (the link to sleep appears regularly). I wouldn't really link any worsening to sleep just yet because it's early days. After my T got worse it was all over the place for the first year; especially in the first 6 months.

I think your in a pattern of 'checking' your tinnitus all the time which is something I was always doing. Try not to think about it too much.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Good sleep is supposed to relax the body and relaxation should help with tinnitus..

8. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      My tinnitus gets louder if I lie flat on my back, quiets down if I lie on my side (probably related to position of jaw). So it may not be sleep that's causing the increase in tinnitus loudness, but your sleep position.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This includes the neck muscles as well.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    10. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      After I wake up from a good sleep, I only have my lower tone tinnitus (I have two-toned tinnitus, one is a static noise and the other is like a dog whistle x10 combined with a dentist drill), which is silence to me. So "silent" that even though I can't fall asleep on my side, I can once I've been asleep for a while because my tinnitus gets so quiet. Though, I still have my pulsatile tinnitus. Some days I do wake up with it louder but that's mostly when I've had a bad sleep. It's different for everybody, really.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      clearly you have found a cure for yourself, just start smoking meth and stop sleeping entirely!

• Funny Funny x 1