Sleeping with Sounds or Silence?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TinniTom, Oct 15, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Hi all!

I'm sorry for re-open this topic but I want to ask for your experience. Do you sleep with sounds (waterfall or rain sounds or something like that or in silence?

Someone recommended me to always sleep with some background sounds.
      And now I want to ask what do you guys think about and what to you prefer and why?

Cheers,
      TinniTom

2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I prefer to sleep in silence. My t is reactive to sound so if I have any sounds when I'm trying too sleep the t just rides on top of what ever the sound is.
      When I am in silence and can actually hear the t calming down to the point I would really need to listen for it.
      My t was caused by acoustic trauma so in theory I believe the damaged hair cells being stimulated cause the interfearance in my hearing therefore the less sound the less Interfearance.

I went too a restaurant last night for dinner. Music and people talking had my ears ringing by the time I was leaving.

I went home and lay in silence for about 45 mins and the ringing calmed down.

Just one of the ways I am trying to manage this.

• Like Like x 1
    3. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I'm pretty certain there's no research on this particular matter.
      After spending quite some time on this site, I see certain people who cannot even sleep without some sort of distraction, others must have absolute silence.

It basically comes down to personal preference. I prefer silence, cause I'm used to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @TinnitusTom If you want to know more about the benefits of using sound enrichment at night, and how important it is for anyone that has intrusive tinnitus to try and avoid quiet rooms. Buy the book written by Professor Pawel Jasterboff and Jonathon Hazell TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) Jasterboff developed TRT. Available from Amazon.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      Sleeping in silence CURED my tinnitus. Try it for a few months.

6. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Most mornings when I wake up the T is so low I can't hear it. It's bliss but I know all I need to do is get up and it all starts again.

7. Mahr
      Tired

Mahr Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably hair cell damage
      Mornings when I wake up the T is loud, but that also depends if I slept well. I try to sleep in silence, no music or something else.

8. Charliemurphy

Charliemurphy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Congrats! How long did you have your T and how did it start?

9. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      I need sound..i put my ear in the pillow and play the sound and they just blur together

• Like Like x 1
    10. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I always sleep in silence, same as TinniTom, masking will make my T more noticeable

11. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Many thanks to all for your feedback. I wish you all the best and a livable and beautiful life despite having tinnitus!

12. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
    13. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      I sleep with comfort sounds. I make MP3s of tv shows that I'm really familiar with, stuff I've watched a million times. Combine that with sleeping pills on bad days and I'm good for sleep. I'm asleep within 15 mins.

The good thing with tv shows is that they interrupt your internal dialogue and give you something to focus on. I just have it playing on the lowest volume with one ear plug in one ear and my other ear on the pillow.

As a side note, you can buy pillows with built-in speakers. They're quite good.

14. STi

STi Member

I do not use background noise...I never really had a problem falling asleep with the ringing....I actually prefer silence to any background noise at all...While the ring is annoying as a mofo...You get use to it.

• Like Like x 1