Sleepy

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert1534, Jul 9, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Robert1534
      Tolerant

Robert1534 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/14
      So it hasn't been too long since I've become aware of my T, but I've already accepted it so I can speed up my habituation. A lot of the anxiety that I've had in the beginning has faded, but I can't say that it's completely gone. My real problem is staying asleep at night. I can fall asleep no problem, but my T gets much louder in the middle of the night and tends to wake up me up every couple hours. I don't have too much trouble going back to sleep, but waking up so frequently keeps me from getting a proper nights rest. I leave a fan on and my window open so that's it's not silent in my room and I'm trying not to take any medicine to get me to sleep. If I didn't have this problem, I think I'd have a much easier time coping with my T. Does it usually take a long time before people start sleeping normally again? Thanks

2. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Is it really your T which wake you up?

Tinnitus induce a stressful situation, which is really hard for sleeping. And stress is insidious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Robert1534
      Tolerant

Robert1534 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/14
      Actually, you're right. Last night my T didn't seem as loud when waking, but my heart rate was still elevated.

4. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If it's your tinnitus waking you up then try a pillow speaker. May help take your mind off the t even while you're asleep.

5. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Or a little fountain.

6. Ken219
      No Mood

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Robert1534 The fact that you fall asleep is great. Could it be the stress of the day that causes you to awake then you hear your T. Are you totally relaxed?

7. Teri
      Artistic

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I have good days and bad day.....good nights and bad nights (where I am waking every 2 hours). I read somewhere that when we sleep we go in and of REM (or deep sleep) and when we do, we then hear the T. I have a sound machine and some nights it helps but other nights not so much. I try not to nap the next day after not sleeping well so that I will be more tired the next night. I try VERY hard not to take medicine.

8. MikeA
      Curious

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Robert1534 , Yes it often takes a while to get back to sleeping well. Give it some time. It's only been a few weeks and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the awareness of tinnitus has caused just enough stress to be leading to interrupted sleep. You have a good attitude. Expect that within another couple months or so you'll be back to old sleep pattern. That's what happened to me recently when I had a T spike several months back. I used sleep meds a bit for several weeks, then tapered those meds to natural sleep supplements, and now just some magnesium and a cup of tea or scotch on the rocks.

9. Robert1534
      Tolerant

Robert1534 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/14
      I'm as relaxed as I can be. My days have gotten a lot less stressful since I've accepted my T, but like I said, my anxiety isn't completely gone. The times when I get a lot of anxiety are usually when I'm somewhere that's really crowded and loud because I feel like it's making my T worse, but that's not too often.

10. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      What works for me is trying to be active during the day and going to bed only when really tired. If you are exhausted I see no reason why you shouldn't sleep. However Im on meds and occasionally I still have days when I sleep only 4-5 hours and although Im tired Im not able to sleep longer. Our minds can change from negative to positive in one second but or bodies remember the stress and pain for a time much longer than that. Therefore dont expect fast results and be patient. A couple of sleepless nights a month is not going to do anything for you and most people function normally during the day even if they haven't slept for a night or two in a row.

11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      It takes time...I am not exaggerating..I slept 1 hour max per night for around 9 weeks. Again, I am absolutely serious about this. I was knocking myself out with sleeping pills, 15 min sleep time per pill. I would wake up in sheer terror and anxiety very quickly after my body would let go and crash. Almost like I didn't actually fall asleep.

Give it time, your body will adjust. I now after about 7 months sleep well again.

Making it through the day on the other hand, thats the tough part for me still, but like sleeping, I hope to get this conquered as well.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      I took me about 4 month to get a solid 7 hours of sleep. In the first 2 month I was awake every 1.5 or 3 hours. After that I started to notice that I was pretty well rested despite being awake every 1.5 to 3 hours. At that point I simply started to worry less and slowly but surely it got easier to fall back to sleep. The rest just faded away. I started sleeping 4.5 hour stints ---> 6 hours ---> 7 hours. The last couple of weeks I actually started to enjoy sleeping in on sunday's.

Getting some magnesium and melatonin can help to relax get you sleepy. some mild physical exercise will help as well. I used Benzo sleeping pills as a back-up. My doctor gave me 10 pill to use in case of a panic attack or in case i simply could not fall asleep. Just having them on the shelf helps me relax.

Don't worry, relax and it will fade away....!

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      btw, it is very normal to be awake at night. My dad told me that he is a wake 1-3 times a night, and falls back to sleep more or less instantly. Very shallow sleep is a normal part of the sleeping cycle. If there is some stressor it simply might just be enough to grab your attention and fully wake you.

Did you know that people are able to sleep next to the rail road tracks without much problems, while saying there name at even moderate loudness will wake them up! Your "I need to wake-up" sound filter just needs some retuning, it will take some time.

14. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      We've all been there. I'm actually still there, in fact, but getting better with time.
      Like Telis mentioned, you may get little sleep or 'weird' sleep for a while (i actually spent some nights in a weird half-awake/half asleep dreaming limbo state).
      It took me about a month to get some solid 3-4 hours of good sleep, nowadays it's back to normal.

A (take it or leave it) suggestion: Don't be intimidated by pills or medicine!
      You can get some melatonin. It's a natural sleeping 'hormone', has some other very positive properties as well.
      You may alternate melatonin with valerian, also a mild natural anxiolytic/sedative product/herb.
      You can eat bananas (magnesium) and cherries (melatonin). You can drink some chamomile.

Also, having some (zolpidem based) pills next to your bed won't hurt much. You may never touch them, but if you are having a particularly difficult night, they may come in handy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      This is so true!!!!

16. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You can also try phytotherapy if you want to avoid strong pills.

Pills with plants can be good without Making you a zombie at the morning.