Slowly Going Away

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Sorin, Jan 5, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Hello and happy new year! I thought I'd share my recent experience with Tinnitus, I hope it will serve other people as well. I woke up on the 29th of December with a lound ringing sound in my right ear and also some hissing "outside" my head. I read about Tinnitus about 6 years ago and I immediatly knew that was the case. Went the next day to get tested and my nerve wasn't affected. Initially I thought Accutane was the culprit, but it turns out it wasn't, as the nerve wasn't affected, so most likely it was due to a cold I had about one month and a half ago. They told me I had about 24 hrs to get treatment, if the nerve would have been affected. I got prescribed Medrol, Milgamma (11 days) and Tinotil (5 days). After I finish this treatment, I have to take 2 Clarinase a day, for a week. My doctor said the Tinnitus could still not fade totally for about 2-8 weeks. It is definitely subsiding, the hissing and the rining sound are getting lower and lower, even though I have some spikes during the day, or after I wake up. I hope I got really lucky this time and it will completely go away. I wish you the best of luck, feel free to ask me any question.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      why the heck did the doctors start threating your tinnitus right away? when i went to the doctor i got simply told to wait till it faded away on its own. i didnt get any meds or other threatment. I have now been dealing with this for a month, and it kinda pisses me off knowing there is medicine available to reduce the chance of permanent tinnitus.

anyway, hope it goes well for you and that it goes away. keep us updated!

3. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Thanks. They actually wanted to get me iv meds and spend the night in the hospital, but I chose to take the meds at home. Have they checked your ears to see if you've got nerve damage?

4. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      my ear is fine, my hearing is fine as well. got told by the doctors that it would fade away on its own. they didnt give my any meds or steroids, thats almost one month ago, but hey, im still here.

• Genius Genius x 1
    5. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      my doctor told me it can completely go away in about 2-8 weeks, so hang on ;D good luck

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. JohnK
      Lonely

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Who says accutane couldn't have directly affected the inner ear itself?

7. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      My doctor told me that if Accutane's ototoxicity would have been the culprit, my nerve would have been damaged. She said my Tinnitus is caused by a problem in the middle ear, something about air pressure not being equalized, or something like that, I don't remember exactly.

8. shreddAr87

shreddAr87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music...history of anxiety/depression...earplugs idk
      How did they determine if there was nerve damage?

9. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      They got me 3 tests, one where they put a device in my ears for a couple of minutes, one where they put me a headset and made me click a button whenever I heard different volume and intensity sounds and then they put some sort of headset on my headbones and made me click the same button.

10. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Where do you live? I live in the U.S. and all I got (from probably around 10 doctors overall) was a hearing test, a CT and an MRI (the first was to see if I had a tumor, the second was meant to check my inner ear, but they ended up doing the same as the CT) and a lot of "Well, sucks to be you."

Also, you said the doctor said something about the pressure in your ears not being right. Do/did you have any feelings of pressure in your ear?

11. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      I'm from Romania. No, I don't have that feelings. The only thing I've noticed a few days after i got T, is that I hear some popping sound when I swallow and I hear chewing my food louder.

12. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Thanks for the response. Yeah, I started getting crackling/popping a couple weeks after my tinnitus started. One doctor tried to tell me that I was just noticing the natural sound of my Eustachian tubes, but I don't really buy it.

But anyway, I hope everything goes well and your tinnitus goes away completely.

13. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Thanks. My doctor told me that's a good thing actually (the popping sound), but I don't remember why. She also recommended me to eat tons of chewing gum.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      If you speak to your doctor again, I'd be really interested on what they meant by it being a good thing. I'm assuming they meant it's good that your Eustachian tubes are working properly, the popping sound when they open up and equalize the pressure in your ears.

Do you get a crackling sound, then a popping sound, or just the pop? I get crackling (like rice krispies, as one doctor put it) when swallowing/yawning. A couple times a day I'll get the pop in my left ear, and very rarely in my right.

15. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Don't really know how to explain it, just the popping I guess. I'll ask my doctor, but that would be in 2 weeks. I guess your reasoning might be right about the Eustachian tubes.

16. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      3 weeks update: things are getting slowly better, the Tinnitus is still there, but it's lower in volume and it's not there 24/7, sometimes is louder when I wake up, sometimes I can't even hear it when I wake up and so on. At it's worst is probably 3-4/10 and at it's best I can't hear it at all, just some sort of "hissing". It's pretty clear to me that it is improving each day, but then again, my doctor told me it can go away completely in 8 weeks. I'm going to get my ears checked again next week.

17. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sorin What if it doesnt go away completely within 8 weeks? is it permanant then?

18. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      @ceauses97 I don't know, my doctor seemed 100% convinced it will go away completely, so probably the permanent Tinnitus has to do with nerve damage/hearing loss and I don't have that. Don't know when you can decide that Tinnitus is permanent, I've read a bunch of stories from people that got rid of Tinnitus even after 6 months, a year, two years etc. Mine is definitely decreasing in volume and it seems like it goes away, but it takes a lot of time, as my doctor said. Luckily is not that bothering anymore.

19. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sorin how loud is yours ? do you hear it only in silence?

20. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      @ceauses97 yeah, but it's not as bothering as it was like a week ago and sometimes I don't hear it at all, even if it's complete silence.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Going pretty weird this week, the Tinnitus is slowly going away for 2-3 days, then one day is pretty loud, the next day is barely noticeable, then today is pretty loud again. Anyone experienced this?

22. Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Yep, I seem to get that as well. Sometimes it fades so that while it's still there it isn't so completely intrusive. Other times it will suddenly ramp up in volume so much it actually feels like it's giving me a headache. For me though it's the tone as well as the volume, it's like the squeaking brakes of a train!

23. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      You are one lucky person. When I first got mine the GP we like to wait 6 months before we do anything as it might go. So I was 6 months before seeing ENT then audiology. Then they did nothing.

24. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      thanks for your posts. got my ears checked today, no hearing loss again. the T is lowering its volume in the last 3 days, to the point where I only hear some sort of hissing and at it's worst is something like 2/10. I'm pretty confident it will completely go away, as things have gotten better each day, but as my doctor said, it can take up to 8 weeks to completely go away.

25. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      The difference in treatment is all telling.I have been to doctor,ENT,Audiologist,TMJ doc and none of them even suggested medications or any alternative ways.I'm glad I found this site though as it has given me more ways to cope with this symptom.

26. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      weird week so far, the T has been constant this time, sometimes louder, sometimes quieter, but there are moments of the day when I don't hear it. don't know what is going on, sometimes it feels like it goes away, but it comes back the next day in full force. yesterday was alright for like 7-8 hours untill I went to bed, today is so loud I can hear it even when I'm outside, or listening to music.

27. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I experience the same thing. One day it's very quite(although not fully gone), the next day it's louder than my neighbours wife screaming.

Right now its quite, hopefully thats a good sign.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    28. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      yeah, same here. yesterday was at his loudest since I finished the treatment, it was so loud it really bothered me a lot, but today, it was barely noticeable, with very few small spikes. don't know what to believe anymore, one day I'm sure it will be gone, the next day it just come back even worse. This is the 5th week I got it, hopefully my doctor was right and it will go away in 2 months.

29. shreddAr87

shreddAr87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music...history of anxiety/depression...earplugs idk
      Do you think that the steroid had something to do with your T getting worse? I was turning a corner with my symptoms all but dissaearing when I got blasted in my left ear. Now I can hear a faint whine in silent places and she I plug my ears. I just started a medrol dose pack last night since the noise assault was a week ago today.

30. Sorin

Sorin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      no, because it was a while since I finished that treatment. I stayed in the house for a few days, then I got out and it was pretty cold, then it started getting worse. Now it is a bit better, with a few spikes here and there.