Smoke Detectors — Some Causes of False Alarms.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jimH, May 30, 2015.

1. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It's no fun when smoke detectors goes off in the middle of the night while sleeping. Many homes have their detectors hard-wired so that if one goes off, they all do. So, then you've got to check every floor and location asap. That's my situation and my home has three floors. Anyway, I had the second such experience within a two week period last night. Having H in addition to T compounds the stress of the experience..

That said, after doing some internet searching for lesser known causes for "nuisance alarms from smoke detectors," I thought that I might share it with the forum members. Some of these you might already know about but perhaps there's one or two you don't:

Dust, Dirt and Insects
      • Smoke alarms placed in dusty areas like attics or garages often get dirt, dust or insect buildup. The dirt and dust are detected just like smoke particles would be, so the alarms sound. Dirt and dust can also make the alarms extra sensitive, and live insects can trigger alarms as well.
      Condensation
      • Similar to dust and dirt, steam particles can flood detectors. A smoke detector near an outside door or window may sound a false alarm when condensation gets inside the device. This can happen when a door opens to the colder air outside. Also, don't place smoke detectors too close to bathroom doors where steam from showers escapes.
      • Old smoke detectors may begin to fail, and false alarms can be a symptom. Detectors should be replaced every eight to 10 years. If you inherited a smoke detector, check the back of the device for the date.

2. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      ...and when you replace an old smoke alarm-if it isn't hardwired in-pulled the battery. If you don't, it WILL start blaring in the middle of the night, and you will be calling your electric company to complain about the "noisy transformer!" Then you will find yourself standing in front of a less than pleasant Electric Troubleman as he hands you YOUR old smoke alarm.

3. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      The above post is true. I responded to this type of electrical trouble call about once a month for the twelve years I worked as a Troubleman. These weren't pleasant to work because it meant that you had to root around back yards in the middle of the night trying to locate the correct trash pile to pull the battery on the discarded smoke alarm.