So Aggravating

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gus B, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Gus B

Gus B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feburuary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had tinnitus since February 2016. Had no idea what was going on. This noise just popped in my head while sitting on the couch watching TV.

Thought it would just go away in a day or two, but that didn't happen. Still ringing away and never stops. 48 years old and all of a sudden I get this noise in my head! Been to my GP and a ENT doctor. I have some hearing loss, so they thought hearing aids would help? Nope. I hear better, but still ringing. Ringing is the word everyone uses, but it like a loud static, almost like a TV set when the I was a kid and late at night there would be no show on and the channel would just be static.

And when it gets really loud it gets a high pitch to the static. I've had an ultrasound to check blood flow to my brain and it was fine. Then an MRI to see if I had something wrong with my brain? Everything turned out ok with that too.

But being in the MRI machine was the worse tinnitus experience I've had. I thought the noise would distract me from the tinnitus? Couldn't have been more wrong. It was the loudest its ever been!!!! If it was that loud all the time, there is no way anyone could live like that. Thank god it didn't stay that loud.

Going online trying to find what caused this and how to get rid of it is so aggravating!!!

There seems to be a thousand things that causes it and a thousand things that MIGHT help. But there is no actual proving cause or cure. I thought I would join this website because I really don't have anyone to talk to about this that would understand what its like.

I have my wife, but she has a high pressured job and I hate to bother her with it. I do my best to act normal and not let it bother me when she's home. Sometimes its just not possible.

I end up taking some sleep medicine so I taker a nap and get some relief. Sleep is the only way to get any relief.

I was amazed to find how many people have this problem. Don't wish it on anyone, but its kind of nice to no I'm not alone.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. PMc
      Creative

PMc Member

Manchester, England (now living in Lincolnshire)
      Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely due to antibiotics after a major operation
      A massive welcome @Gus B ... It's so good that you've decided to join this Support Forum because all of our members have experienced very similar things to what you have described in your post and we are with you all the way!

You are certainly not on your own because we all understand what you are going through, and tough as it is, there will be a way through all this. Keep asking those questions that are particularly causing you the most concern and you will find so many caring members who wish to offer you their help, because of what they themselves have suffered.

So stay positive and remember that you are certainly not alone in all of this! ....................... Paul

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gus B

Gus B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feburuary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the welcome.. Much appreciated. I'm not use to talking about myself, so it may take a bit to talk on the forum. But I do need to talk about this to someone. I feel a little better just reading some of the post. Just knowing so many people are experiencing the same issues should make it easier to open up? Once again, thanks for the welcome.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. PMc
      Creative

PMc Member

Manchester, England (now living in Lincolnshire)
      Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely due to antibiotics after a major operation
      My pleasure @Gus B ... Don't ever be afraid of sharing your particular problems with us here on the Forum. There are so many members on board with lots of different and effective ways of dealing with their version of T... so do stay tuned.

The way it works for me ... and I know it would not be everyone's choice ... is to treat it like a 'noisy neighbour'. Many years ago, my wife and I did live next door to very noisy neighbours. The more I concentrated on the noise they were making, the 'louder' it became, and then the more anxious, depressed and upset I became ... whatsmore, it didn't solve the noise problem in any shape or form!

For me, the answer was to try and not listen to their noise as best I could. I know that is much more difficult with our version of T because we can't escape it ... but that's the way that I've tried to combat it in order to make sense and continue with my everyday life.

Do keep pressing the Quick Navigation button, top right of the page, so as to keep updated with the Links and Lists and I'm sure you will find so much help out there amongst our members ................................... Paul

• Like Like x 1
    5. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Gus B hey, welcome! I agree! This is a great place to get some relief and feel like you're not suffering alone. It's very difficult for those who don't have it to understand and I too, try to limit how much I complain about it as you do try to retain some normality. I'm 45 and mine started Jan 2016, woke up one morning with it. Was hoping too it would go but sadly not. Definitely a condition the medical profession need to research more! X

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Good REM sleep is one good way to tame T whereas sleep deprivation is a sure way to fire up T. If you don't like to addict to using prescribed sleeping drugs, you can consider these natural alternatives. Here is a good site on this:

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

Yes, tens of millions have this condition world wide. If you ask around your social circle, you can be amazed by the number of people who have had T but kept quiet. After all these years, I found out dozens of people in my social circle with this. Even household celebrity names have this condition. Google celebrities with tinnitus you will find a long list of names. Here is a video of two gentlemen you may know, David Letterman & William Shatner talking about their T back in 1996. I had a good laugh watching it and I felt better knowing that people with bad T 7/24 seem to be able to function and carry on with life. Take care. God bless.

David Letterman with William Shatner - March,...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1