So Habituation Does Happen!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Shortstuff, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      hi everyone.

Finally decided to join the group after trawling through for the last 10 months trying to find answers. I’ve had tinnitus since April 17 and for the first few months or so I was so low. The reason for posting is to hopefully help anyone who has recently acquired this wonderful condition;)

Brief history; My tinnitus started at a time of extreme stress and anxiety I was suffering from. I was given 10mg of Citaolpram to help with the onset of anxiety. I went up to 20mg and that’s when the fun began. Started hearing a faint ringing while sitting watching tv one day. Went into an absolute panic because just as I was getting a handle on the anxiety and stress, tinnitus started. I reduced the dose slowly but the sound remained the same.

Looking back I’m still not sure if it was the tablets or the general stress I was under that caused it but I’ve finally got to a point where I don’t really care.

And, in my opinion, I think that’s the trick. I know it’s not easy but the less you think of it, the quieter it gets. I honestly didn’t think it would be possible to get to this point but it has happened. I would be constantly sticking my fingers in my ears hoping and praying that there was some improvement, but looking back I now know that that was making me focus on it and then making it louder.

I wouldn’t say I’m out of the woods yet but I’m certainly getting there. With each day that passes I seem to be more and more calm about it.

Anyway, I hope this gives hope to anyone that has recently acquired T. It will get better.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Congrats on the progress

my T started a week before yours did. and while it did almost dissapear after 4 months, i set myself back by going to a loud concert. But now 8 month later im starting to see some improvements again. Hopefully it goes away after a few months or I habituate

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI Medication, Movie Theaters, or Gaming Headphones
      Your story is the same as mine! The anxiety, the Citalopram, and of course, the ringing. I was on 10mg too, and noticed a faint ringing. Freaked out, weaned off it over 2 days only as I had only been on it for 7 weeks. Ringing non-stop ever since. They say anxiety causes this, but it's obvious it was the pills as myself, you, and many others around the internet got the "rare" side-effect listed with this medication. Agree with you that it doesn't really matter how we got it. Appreciate you sharing your story, as I'm 3 months in and at times it feels like I'll never habituate to it, since it was caused by medicine, not loud noise. You give me hope!

• Like Like x 1
    4. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Wait, your t almost disappeared? Was it after a loud concert or acoustic trauma too?

5. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      it almost dissapeared 4 month after the initial trauma from a club. then i went to a concert and it came back

6. lillejulie
      Panicky

lillejulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25/10- out of the blue, maybe stress, 31/10 night club

Didnt you use earplugs at the concert??

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    8. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I did. However earplugs can only do so much for you at 110+db and 6 hour concert.

9. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Why don't guys or girls like me!?
      1466484201493s.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1