So I Got Contacted for a Tinnitus Study...

Discussion in 'Support' started by svg1204, Oct 15, 2015.

1. svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones maybe?not sure really.
      the title says it all, I'll know on Monday for sure, the only thing is that they are looking for candidates that have had tinnitus for over a year, but the doctor said would call me back on Monday to see if I can get in since I've only had tinnitus for less than two months.

This is what the email said

For both studies we are looking for individuals with tinnitus ages 18 to 75.
      They do not have to be participants in the first study. They could do either one based on their time and availability.

The first research study is one session for about 3 hours of their time. This is only one time/ one session study. We need 6 for this study.

The second one is a total of 6 sessions for two weeks. Sessions will be on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. This is a clinical trial, and thus, we have more sessions scheduled. The first and last sessions (sessions # 1 and 6) will be long in time, (2.30-to 3hrs) but sessions# 2,3,4 and 5 should not be more than an hour max. We need 6 for this study.

Ola A Alsalman, PhD
      Postdoctoral Research Associate
      Lab for Clinical and Integrative Neuroscience
      School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences​

I already called and passed everything except the one year thingy but I'll know for sure on Monday if I'm in

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      What kind of study is it, do you know? It's almost like the beginning of the e-mail was cut off, since it started with "for both studies".... Was there a more thorough description for it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nope this is the entire email

Additional tinnitus studies are planned by the research staff at UTD-Callier Center. Below is a note from the primary research associate, Dr Ola Alsalman. A brief study outline is also attached. Dr. Alsalman's contact information is included below. Please consider participation in one, or both, of these studies. Thank you, John Ogrizovich - DFW Tinnitus Support Group

For both studies we are looking for individuals with tinnitus ages 18 to 75.
      They do not have to be participants in the first study. They could do either one based on their time and availability.

The first research study is one session for about 3 hours of their time. This is only one time/ one session study. We need 6 for this study

The second one is a total of 6 sessions for two weeks. Sessions will be on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. This is a clinical trial, and thus, we have more sessions scheduled. The first and last sessions (sessions # 1 and 6) will be long in time, (2.30-to 3hrs) but sessions# 2,3,4 and 5 should not be more than an hour max. We need 6 for this study.

Ola A Alsalman, PhD
      Postdoctoral Research Associate
      Lab for Clinical and Integrative Neuroscience
      School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences
      University of Texas at Dallas

Callier Center for Communication Disorders
      1966 Inwood Rd.
      Dallas, Texas 75235

And the the phone number to call and I did and they asked me a bunch of questions and said everything meet the criteria except for the length of time with t, but the she was gonna ask if I could be in and would call me on Monday and got all my info

4. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Univ of Texas Dallas did studies on rTMS so I wonder if it's related to that. Also that is where Microtransponder is located I believe

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea I mean if anyone else in here is in Dallas should give them a call, I'll know for sure if I'm in on Monday and keep everyone posted,also should this thread go here on support or somewhere else's?

6. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      If it turns out to be a study you want to be a part of and keep members here updated regularly that would be cool and we can place the thread in the appropriate place. Thanks

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea anything that takes us one step closer to getting rid of this, I'll keep everyone posted if I get chosen

• Like Like x 1
    8. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Is it the AM101 trial? I know they have on in Dallas Texas. I would love to take it but I'm 17.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know honestly,I'll find out more on Monday and keep you posted are you in Dallas too?

10. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      No
      no but I live in Texas

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As soon as I know I'll let you know, or if you want I can give you the contact phone number if you want to call

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok so I found out what the study is about and it includes some type of stimulation, I don't qualify because I haven't had my t for over a year , but anybody else wanting to join here in Dallas I can give you the contact info

I am however good for another study so I'll be contacted for that one

• Like Like x 1
    13. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Thanks for the updates. Keep it up!

14. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I believe this might be this:

A blinded randomized pilot study assessing vagus nerve stimulation paried with tones for tinnitus vs. unparied tones

This is a Phase II pilot study designed to provide information on the efficacy and safety of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) paired with tones for the treatment of tinnitus. The clinical study is proposed to serve as primary support for the design and implementation of a pivotal study for US market approval; it is expected to give efficacy and safety information.

Could be wrong but it is being conducted at the same place

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea the doctor said she wasn't aloud to give to much info since I wasn't a candidate but is for people with t for more than a year and it used some stimulation, now I do qualify for another which I'll be contacted for and as soon as I know I'll let you guys know.

• Winner Winner x 1
    16. Cyndi

Cyndi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Injury as a child. Pushing something too far in my ear
      His it too late to inquire about the study ? Who would I contact? Also, are there any updates on the micro transponder?

17. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      No not really any news from Microtransponder in the last year

18. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
    19. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      All these therapies are doomed because they still do not understand the underlying mechanism of tinnitus. Without that it's like shooting in the dark.

20. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      RV,
      With due respect, you need to stop repeating that false narrative of yours. You have no idea about science nor do you understand the impetus of invention. You haven't lived in this world like I have. Invention is accident. Re-read that if you don't understand it. It has nothing to do many times even with a scientific method.
      Invention is many times a chance or a hunch with little basis in fact. Sound is a construct. I figment. Humanity will never understand it. Sound does not exist in the universe, only in our heads. This sound can be altered. People born deaf have had their hearing restored on some level. Scientists will also arrive at point one day and figure out how to unlearn or block sound frequencies. Your notion of having to understand the underlying mechanism of tinnitus is nebulous. It is already understood that neurons previously not used for hearing are enlisted which create the sound pattern known as tinnitus. The challenge is to alter this change such that these neurons are not erroneously excited. But it doesn't matter. Through dogged trial and error a solution will be forged. Throw enough mud at the fence and something will stick. That is invention. Tom Edison taught us genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration. This btw applies to success in life. Most people quit before they succeed and what separates people.

What you don't apparently understand is what you call 'shooting in the dark' is precisely how tinnitus will be solved. Enough shooting in the dark in an empty room, no walls to discovery are left.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @stophiss
      Well said Stophiss
      Any treatment for tinnitus that is less than a complete cure is seen negatively by some people.
      Michael

• Funny Funny x 1
    22. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      With all due respect, this is not known. It is only a proposed mechanism. Hearing loss and tinnitus are correlated. Look up any research on the subject. These are all proposed mechanisms. None of the research papers uses the word "cause." They all say "it is thought that this does that..." and tinnitus is "associated with hearing loss" and so on.

It is not "already understood." That's my exact point. I do think that following the hair cell and neuron thing is a good path to start on, but again, it is in no way known.

23. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not exactly. If the treatment is a step in a plausible direction, I can see the utility in it (unlike TRT). However, we must not sacrifice long term success for short term gains. Let's not miss the forest for the trees.

24. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I support a full understanding of the underlying mechanism. It is the ultimate success and quitting would certainly be a bad thing. Who would want to quit on finding the true mechanism? It seems we should both agree on this, no?

25. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps, unless it's a long windy path on a cliff instead of a room. Either way some illumination would not be an unworthy goal.