Somatosensory Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Worker, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Worker

Worker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lots going on at the time
      Has anyone tried trigger point therapy for somatosensory pulsatile tinnitus and been successful? Apparently it is caused by dysfunction of the neck and jaw muscles feeding into the auditory pathway.

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have intermittent pulsatile somatosensory tinnitus in addition to my other constant hissing orchestra.

My understanding of this phenomena is the somatic nervous system's attempt to compensate for loss of auditory input.

Dr susan shore from mitchigan has devised a device, and is in the throes of testing this device for somatic tinnitus.

I have tried various treatments for sspt; including acupuncture and physio targeting trigger points with absolutely no impact in my somatic t whatsover.

The only thing that stops my sspt is clenching my teeth and listening to pulsating/white noise around the frequency of my hearing loss.

There is a thread on this already.
      I think from memory dr Levine was mentioned in the thread for his interest in this type of t.

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Some do have some success with trigger point therapy for somatosensory pulsatile and physical somatosensory tinnitus. More so if the c spine is not greatly over curved in relation to physical tinnitus.

An over extended c spine curve can be caused by many things, including bad posture, muscle spasms, forward bending or an accident. It's somewhat common for the c spine to over curve with age and tinnitus can result.

If a over extended curve is present from a X ray, then that could be corrected by loss of normal lordosis exercises by slowing and carefully turning head slightly in both direction.

When one can modulate their tinnitus, then the muscles and nerves are troubled and that can be caused by an over extended c spine placing pressure on muscles and nerves.

If an over extended c spine (loss of normal lordosis) is present, then that may have to be corrected for safety reasons before any muscle/ nerve therapy in the neck. I intend to email Susan Shore to see what their protocol is about those with loss of normal lordosis in relationship to somatosensory pulsatile and physical tinnitus. Loss of normal lordosis, an extended curve can also cause condition disease to happen within the neck or make present conditions worse as noted in below link.

In some cases, trigger point modulation therapy won't help until the c spine loss of normal lordosis is corrected. An over extended c spine can cause somatosensory and physical tinnitus.

There's many professional articles that talk about all of this:

https://www.geekloveshealth.com/cervical-lordosis-causes-symptoms-and-treatment/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018