Some Advice

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Chris Alexander, May 1, 2016.

1. Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey folks - so someone mailed me seriously depressed and thinking about hurting themselves. I typed a pretty long reply and while I'm sure it's all been said before (spelling mistakes and all!) I think it's always good to keep this stuff at the forefront of your mind - especially for new people. I have posted my reply below and kept the persons name out of it - for all of you newbies, read and absord!

Hey...

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles at the moment. I can definitely sympathise and totally understand.

Listen, we all feel like this for the first while. Everyone. I still feel a bit down sometimes. The important thing you have to remember is that you can live your life the exact same as you did before - you just need to use ear plugs in noises environments. I literally do everything I did before I got my T.

I was the same as you in thinking my life was over - however this is the anxiety talking, not YOU talking. Trust me on this, anxiety is amazing at making you think somethig that's not true. Same for feelings as well. Thus you need to sort out your anxiety and once you do you will feel a whole lot better.

I advise you do the following.

Go to the doctor and get anti depressants and vallium to calm you down.

Get some sleeping tablets to help you sleep

Take up excercise - go for long runs and walks and go to the gym - this is great for anxiety

Read all the success stories and STAY AWAY from horror stories

As for counselling, take on a new counsellor of the current one is not working.

Talk to your family and friends - I guarantee you that someone you know will have tinnitus. Seriously. DO NOT bottle up how you feel.

Another MASSIVE price of advice is to continue living your life - go find some girls, play computer games, go drinking (in moderation - do NOT take the piss as anxiety will not tolerate it) and more
      Importantly have fun - you may not want to but do it anyway. It will become natural in time.

All of the above advice is based on my own experience - and everyone on this forum has been here before.

One last thing - you will be suffering from intrusive thoughts - my T is going to get worse, I'm going insane all this shit. This is a by product of anxiety. it makes you think all sorts. So get a book - 'at last a life ' by Paul David. It seriously helped me over come my panic, and improved my anxiety a lot. Specifically it teaches you to see thoughts for what they are - just thoughts without any evidence. It's how you react to them which make you feel crap, not the actual thoughts. Get it and absorb it. It will do you wonders.

Killing yourself is the anxiety talking a not you. Trust me buddy - with time, a positive attitude and a new way of thinking, you will be back to your old self. Killing yourself wouldn't be worth it. It's a waste of a life for something that can be fixed - specifically with the advice I've given you. If you feel like you cannot go on then you MuST go to hospital...... Or speak to your family or both. Trust me buddy, this is fixable. Ask yourself - if it was that catastrophic, would you have all these success stories??

I hope I have been of help - take care

Chris

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      @Cillian i have no idea how to
      Measure the loudness.

I can tell you that I can always hear it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. dragonjax

dragonjax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for sharing that, Chris. I'm not new to tinnitus, but new to this forum. Reading about how others cope and live their lives is so very helpful and inspiring.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      @dragonjax

Hey man thanks. Follow the advice given by all the people on here and you will come through it - we all Rememebr how shit the first while is.

Good luck

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      It can also spike and be louder for a few days the goes down again. I don't have what I assume is really intrusive tinnitus - however when I go to sleep I can hear it really loud - it's like someone howling two sea shells over both my ears!

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. dragonjax

dragonjax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks!

8. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi @Chris Alexander

Thank you, you probably helped someone. You gave the right pieces of advices.

However, I'm sorry to ask you this, does your T "ring" like sea shell? Is it not a high pitched sound? Can I ask you how came your T?

Thank you for your anwer

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey

Occasionally it is a high pitched noise but usually it sounds like sea shells!

My T is noise induced - years of drumming and loud music really.

10. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @Chris Alexander

I envy you! (in the right way). I do have sea shell in the left ear at a very low volume and it doesn't bother me at all. Sounds almost like silence (maybe I always had T?). The right one is high pitch which usually transforms in sea shell early in the morning then goes to mosquitos to high pitch hiss (the one I hate).

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you find one or the other more difficult to deal with, the high pitched or sea shell?
      That's weird that it goes back an forth for you. I have had loud super high pitched T for 4 months. I've experienced other sounds that didn't last but by far the most intrusive for me is this super high pitched buzzing that will never ever go away.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @Alue
      did you get any improvements from the am-101 lately ?
      Is it changing your T pitch into a fainter one ?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      @Alue

Hey, well I guess I have been quite lucky over all. When mine started it started as the sea shells, then went to a high pitched noise, then a low 'duuuuuuuuuuhhhh' which was really loud and then after a few weeks it calmed down to sounding like a tv/sea shells.

I think having any t is annoying tbh but ion prefer the sea shells! I do feel though that with a positive attitude anything can be achieved.

Your T is still very new - it can easily drop in intrusiveness or go completely.

14. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Chris that was a great response, I just started with Tinnitus and hearing loss , do you have hearing loss too?
      Dominic