Some Helpful Books That Can Help to Ease This Fight

Discussion in 'Support' started by wishingluck, Sep 15, 2015.

1. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      I am very selective about what information I absorb nowadays. I used to read all the 'you can be the master of your destiny', 'anything is possible', Anthony Robbins, De Martini et al, trash.

This stuff sounds all good in theory, but when you try it out, you meet with reality. And reality has teeth. None of these 'authors' really live by what they preach, it's all theory and no practice, plus most of them are actually untruthful or even dishonest.

Nowadays I try to be very scientific-minded and use critical thinking. I need to, as there have always been quacks and charlatans out there, ready to make a quick buck by taking advantage of the vulnerability of people who are going through grief, illness, or other real life, really tough challenges, not just something as mundane like a break up with the girlfriend or boyfriend.

But I have found a couple of good books. Yes, only a couple, out of the dozens I have read over the years. One is 'How to stop worrying and start living' by Dale Carnegie. I recommend the audiobook version, it's really good, and I don't have as much patience anymore for reading text.

The reason why this Carnegie book is really good, is that it tells of people who have stumbled on some serious s**t, and how they dealt about it. Most stories are very interesting. Since reading that book years ago, I found myself coming back to it, and that certainly happened since my tinnitus onset.

No dumb, 'psyche me up' Anthony Robbins cheesy trash here. It can seem a bit old-fashioned, but I think that as self-help book it runs circles to most others.

Another one I picked up this week is 'Facing The Storm' by Ray Owen. I can certainly recommend it. It's written by a psychologist who has met with people who faced huge challenges, such as terminal illness patients. I have been waiting to find a book like this, truly it was just the ticket for me. I wish there was an audiobook version, but there isn't at the moment, so I am taking the time to read it.

Lastly, I am also reading memories of Holocaust survivors, such as the ones by Elie Wiesel or the one who Roman Polansky made a film about (The Pianist).

You may want to try any or all of these. They helped me, but then again we are all different. I think the first two books are really worth having. As for Holocaust's survivors, well that's a bit different.

But when I remind myself of these stories, I also remind myself saying to me years ago, after I told him I was going through a bad time, 'You may be going through bad times, you are right. But unfortunately there's always someone going through something worst'.

I have never forgotten these words. It's hard to explain. Of course I am always, and truly, saddened to think that someone has gone through this or that terrible experience, worse than mine. But at the same time, it's like a voice inside says: 'Your life may be s**t right now, but what these other poor devils you've read about in that book, would say? '.

It's not something I can really talk about. It's like some kind of inner understanding that it's difficult to put into words.

Oh, and if you buy any books from Amazon, don't forget to use this forum's link, which allows the forum to get a small commission from Amazon. It won't cost you anything!

US link:
      http://www.amazon.com/?tag=tinntalk-20

UK link:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=tinntalk-21

2. Beessie
      Relaxed

Beessie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21-01-2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? + badluck? Clubbing? IDK!
      Are their any usefull books how to cope with Tinnitus better?

My mind keeps seeing it as a big danger (the T sound) which can make me feel pretty down and panicked some days.

If you or anyone else has some suggestion I will be glad to hear.

Bas.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Beessie,
      Tinnitus comes with lots of unwanted emotions and add your tinnitus sound to it can be tough going in the early days .
      Try not think about the what iffs! What and why !!!

Learning to cope with the feelings and trying not attach negative emotions to tinnitus helps us cope with the tinnitus sound itself.

When we hit a rough patch its so easy to let it shrink our confidence and withdraw in to a shell and low mood .
      This is the time we push hard with all our strength to make the day turn into a better one and make the day go quicker and put a smile on our face.
      We should be proud then we got through it and will again.
      Bouncing back from tough times will get better as we realise we are in total control over what makes us happy not our tinnitus.

We can all have low days and good days but if your mood does not lift then medication and talking therapy will help you....lots of love glynis( there are a few ebooks about tinnitus and some free too )

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      about tinnitus books, I have so far read one and it was basic crap, written by a David Baguley. I don't recommend it, it's too basic and superficial, and there's a lot of stuff missing.

The best writings about specifically coping with tinnitus so far, that I have found anywhere, are the free leaflets available on the British Tinnitus Association site. Check them out

5. Beessie
      Relaxed

Beessie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21-01-2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? + badluck? Clubbing? IDK!
      Thank you @glynis sometimes I am just afraid that it will be immensly loud.. I hope not it is around 20db (always have been) in my left brain and 10db in my right (used to be 32db).

Overall I am still content about my life but most days I do think about the Tinnitus 40-50-60 times (uncountable) a few weeks ago I was on 2-3 times day. Now my Tinnitus is very loud because a very short night of sleep, it is probably better tomorrow:). I hope I will habituate 100% I thought I already was there but the last few weeks are major drawbacks:(

I will look for the ebooks, thanks.

Bas.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thank you also for the good advice, glynis. I also try to tell myself 'don't worry, it's just some f****g noise. What would be the difference if you were living with some sort of noise machinery in your house?'.

I can't say I'll ever walk again with a smile on my face. My life is pretty much over, at least as regard a more social life, simply because it was already difficult before, but with this, it's really over. Fortunately I have been a musician for many years (although I rarely ever went to concerts), and my inner world is still there, for the most part.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try stay positive and push hard stay happy and dont let tinnitus stop you from doing what you love .
      I will be going a party over the weekend and know my hearing aids will make the sound twice as loud so will be wearing noise reduction plugs as know its going be loud and another party the week after .
      Will have fun even with blasting ears that never stop .....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Steve721

Steve721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Tinnitus: A Self-Management Guide for the Ringing in Your Ears by Jane L. Henry and Peter H. Wilson. This book is about applying cognitive behavior therapy technques to tinnitus, and I found some of their recommended coping strategies to be very helpful.

I also bought a copy of Dr. Jastreboff's book on Tinnitus Retraining Therapy--it's on Amazon, but it is pricey. While the book was written for TRT clinicians, I found that it did contain information that was helpful to me.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      also I am finding very useful the ones from American Tinnitus Association, of which I also became a member today. Most information on both ATA and BTA is very helpful, short and effective. For example BTA has one about managing T and sleeping. If you can't sleep after 30 minutes, get up and try later. I have found these leaflets very useful, and continue to do so. It's very easy to get into a toss and turn loop for 1 hour and feeling really grim.

I really need all the help we can get, as we all do here. Only things to avoid are 'cures', quacks and snake oil, and there's a ton of these everywhere, which really angers me. I hope they get ill long term, I am sure they can then devise a 'cure' for their problems too.