Some Information I Gathered on the Link Between TMJ, Tinnitus, ETD and Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I have started to dig some more on the internet to try and figure out what's going on with my ears. I have had my suspicions about my jaw pressing my ears shut, but now I have found some actual information proving that this can indeed be the case. I have stopped using nasal spray again because I believe it to not be of any help, and actually increasing my sensitivity to noise and clogging my ears further and giving me several fleeting tinnitus attacks. I also think my tinnitus and mild hyperacusis stem from all these problems. I thought it might be useful to people who have similar symptoms to me. I will write down my symptoms so that people can read this when they recognize themselves in my problems.

My symptoms are:

Constant ear crackling, popping, and crinkling sound when I yawn and swallow but even popping when I relax sometimes.

TMJ disorder (painful jaw that doesn't open properly and clicks when I open it too far)

Feeling of clogged ears, as if they need to pop constantly.

Twitching jaw, muscle spasms.

Electronic television sounding tinnitus, a hiss with slight electric streams.

Tinnitus noise can be altered by changing neck position, or relaxing jaw.

Slight spasm in ears when loud sounds are about to come (gives this kind of bloodflow rush sensation in the ears) accompanied by slight jaw/ear pain/sensation.

Sensitivity to noise and especially high pitched sounds over 85 dB.

Random ear fluttering/ thumping. muscle spasm (Iwould say it feels like your ear drum vibrates, almost like its struggling to stay open/ popped)

Tearing eyes / sensitive eyes feeling a sensation behind the eyes.

Nasal sprays seem to have no effect whatsoever.

If anyone is reading this who recognizes themselves in most symptoms and has no idea whats going on. I suggest you read the info I have found about all of this. I think it can be quite useful, because I feel a lot more secure knowing what's wrong with me now!

''That is how I like to describe patients with TMD problems, they have been KLUNKED. The jaw acts as a counter balance for the head over the spine, improper head posture changes this balance and now all of the muscles of the back and spine must work overtime leading to neck, shoulder and back pain. The tensor palatini muscle that closes off the nose when we swallow is also responsible for opening and closing our Eustachian tubes. Problems swallowing create not just breathing and sleep problems but also postural distortions and ears symptoms such as pressure or water in the ear. The tensor tympani is embryologically part of a jaw muscle called the medial pterygoid muscle; they share a nerve supply and the effect on the ear drum can cause tinnitus and the numerous ear noises
      Medial and Lateral Pterygoids – are both well hidden by the lower jaw bone. The medial pterygoid muscle causes pain in the temporomandibular joint and the ear, which increases when you bite down on something. It can also refer pain to the back of the mouth, hard palate, and tongue, and can make it hurt to swallow. Tightness in this muscle can make it difficult to open the mouth wide. Moreover, a sense of stuffiness in the ear can come from a tight medial pterygoid when it prevents the Eustachian tube (in the middle ear) from opening.

It's often difficult to understand how such symptoms as ringing or buzzing in the ears, earaches, altered hearing, or even vertigo (dizziness) can be connected to a muscle-spasm problem originating with the teeth. The connection is a small muscle called the tensor veli palatini. A SMALL MUSCLE The Tensor veli palatini has a number of functions, including involvement in the closing of the eustachian tubes. This tube connects the throat to the middle ear and keeps the air pressure in the middle ear the same as that of the outside atmosphere. Normally this happens without our knowing it, but in certain cases, such as flying in an airplane, this change is noticeable. The Tensor veli palatini is supplied with nerve signals from a branch of the same nerve that supplies the external pterygoid muscle. When the Lateral pterygoids are in spasm, the Tensor veli palatini also can go into spasm because the nerve stimuli go to both muscles. When this tiny muscle goes into spasm, it closes off the eustachian tube and produces symptoms that mimic middle-ear problems. A patient may see a physician about changes in hearing, earaches, buzzing, ringing, or dizziness. The patient may have no signs of infection or a cold, and when the problem is not resolved in a short time, allergies are often suspected.
      Temporomandibular disorders are associated with symptoms such as tinnitus, vertigo, sensation of hearing loss, ear fullness and otalgia. The connection and dysfunction of the tensor tympani and tensor veli palatini muscles seem to be associated with the aforementioned symptoms. We seek to demonstrate and explain this connection through the morphometry of these structures

There are four muscles associated with the function of the Eustachian tube: Levator veli palatini (innervated by the vagus nerve) Salpingopharyngeus (innervated by the vagus nerve) Tensor tympani (innervated by the mandibular nerve of CN V) Tensor veli palatini (innervated by the mandibular nerve of CN V)

26940545_1507370952643555_1918966991_n.jpg

Medial_and_Lateral_Pterygoid.jpg

In addition, dysfunction of the pharyngeal musculature including the tensor veli palatini muscle which controls the medial opening of the ET within the nasopharynx and the tensor tympani muscle related to tympanic membrane function is another possible cause of ETD and tinnitus.

Tensor tympani muscle and the stapedial muscle contract to tighten the middle ear bones (the ossicles) as a reaction to loud, potentially damaging sound. This provides protection to the inner ear from these loud sounds. In many people with hyperacusis, an increased activity develops in the tensor tympani muscle in the middle ear as part of the startle response to some sounds. This lowered reflex threshold for tensor tympani contraction is activated by the perception/anticipation of loud sound, and is called tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS).''

I have not really found out how to treat these problems, but knowing whats wrong is a good first start!

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Wow i have the same symptomes.

But wonder how it can be resolved or lessen the Tinnitus.

Some days my T is low and there are days whem my T spikes. The sound is very high at the moment.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have you tried to just relax your jaw? Like properly relax it? And massaging the jaw area? Applying some heat to it will probably help as well. Yesterday I did all of these things and I swear to god the tinnitus was gone for a few seconds!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Great research.

The hard part is treating it and resolving the issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you! I really do hope it's helping some people! Since finding this out, I have bought an orthopedic pillow, and my ears have been behaving differently by a lot! Especially the tinnitus seems to be dependent on these things

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    6. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep. You need to find a good pillow--I also suggest trying to back sleep for quite a while--exercises, relaxing, a decent therapist, massage therapist and so on. Pay attention to how you use the heat on your jaw and what you "mix with it". I've had great luck with using hot towels and epson salts. Even essential oils. I don't grind my teeth, but if you do you might want to get a sleep guard. It's been an excruciating journey, but somethings have had small changes for me. Such as the mild H going away. The noise "warp" has gotten much better to a point that it's almost gone. I do feel the "sensation of hearing loss" since my T gets so loud that it will cover noises up.

@Suzerman Has your doctor suggested anything for the issue? Or have you just been coming up with things on your own?

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. pebbles

pebbles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      march14
      hi i have had tinnitus since 2014 but 18 months ago started getting burning pain in one ear and hyperacusis. Getting really fed up i went to get scan of my jaw and was told i do have tmj called disc displacement without reduction. Have been told i need day and night splints at a cost of 4500 pounds what would you do? My tinnitus is very reactive to noise aswell.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Im sorry to hear that, but it is good that you've noticed some improvements! I am already wearing a night guard, and seeing a physio therapist who massages my neck and jaw and tries to put everything into place, so thats good, The neck heating pillow Ive bought is unfortunately a bit heavy, which has caused me some neck pain. The pillow I sleep on is good I think, but perhaps a bit too hard for my jaw. I unfortunately can't sleep on my back, I have tried, but I just do not fall asleep unfortunately. But I do think so far Ive improved. I either habituated a little or the noise is actually less. I like to think the second :p

Do you experience any dizziness or nausea? Otherwise I would get myself checked for an ear infecton, or perhaps some fluid behind the ear drum. Does the pain feel like its connected to the jaw? Otherwise it might not be ear pain you're experiencing, but pain in the joint. I would personally go with the doctors advice and get the splints. It seems like a lot of money though, I do have to say, but you really want to treat this problem rather sooner than later.

9. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I get you. I'm a huge side sleeper. It took me MONTHS to start falling and staying asleep well while training myself to sleep on my back. Or else I run the risk of popping my jaw out of place again. For some reason I press my face super hard into my pillow when I sleep on my side. It's one of the things that led to this new TMJ joy. No idea why I suddenly started doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      I wonder if the Alexander Technique will indirectly improve TMJ-induced tinnitus by improving general posture and neck issues

11. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      TMJ disorder (painful jaw that doesn't open properly and clicks when I open it too far) - I can open my jaw fully w/o issue, no clicks or pain or anything like that.

Feeling of clogged ears, as if they need to pop constantly. -
      I get this, but pretty rare. Seems to have more to do w/ the cold weather than anything.

Twitching jaw, muscle spasms. -
      I don't get this.

Electronic television sounding tinnitus, a hiss with slight electric streams. -
      Mine is a constant high pitched Eeeee sound.

Tinnitus noise can be altered by changing neck position, or relaxing jaw. -
      I can make my T louder if I turn my head all the way to the left(not the right though; T ear is the right ear). And also is I push my head all the way back; or push my lower jaw out. Opening my mouth wide doesn't seem to have much of an effect if any.

Slight spasm in ears when loud sounds are about to come (gives this kind of bloodflow rush sensation in the ears) accompanied by slight jaw/ear pain/sensation. -
      I don't get this.

Sensitivity to noise and especially high pitched sounds over 85 dB. -
      I don't get this I don't think, but I don't listen at such levels anyways.

Random ear fluttering/ thumping. muscle spasm (Iwould say it feels like your ear drum vibrates, almost like its struggling to stay open/ popped) -
      I don't get this.

Tearing eyes / sensitive eyes feeling a sensation behind the eyes.
      - I don't get this.

Nasal sprays seem to have no effect whatsoever.
      - I don't have an issue with this.

So seeing as how I don't experience a majority of these symptoms do you think I still may have an issue with some kind of TMJ?

12. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been working on my posture for months. I've noticed slow but steady progress. Not only in my T, but in the noises in my jaw and movements. I'm even looking into making a posture strap (AKA "Yoga strap) to remind myself.

Though I did get a set back with the stomach flu. :bawling: Though I'm getting back on track again.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      Hi Suzerman, Congratulations on a very well written and comprehensive post.
      Posture is very important, I work at a computer for a good part of my day, so I believe it is involved. I’m better aware of the leaning forward that seems to come naturally at a computer.
      I also use the book “Trigger Point Therapy”.
      It addresses how to release the tension in many of these TMD muscles. I’ve been doing these releases for a while now. At first, they were extremely painful and I wanted to quit. But I did not and now I only need to massage them a few times a week to keep up the maintenance. The TMJ/TMD pain is GONE!! But unfortunately in my case, the T noise lingers on and my hearing is still impaired. I do hope others can find pain relief in releasing these tight trigger points that can be found in these muscles; they are very simple exercises to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shera, Im also a side sleeper. I start on my back, but wind up on my side every morning. I bought a TMJ pillow from Amazon. It holds the jaw off the pillow. It takes a bit to get used to, but it works.

15. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I put inclines on the sides of my pillow and so far so good. I didn't want to buy the pillow so I rigged something up.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I'll look into that. I do a general message for the muscles, but Trigger Points would be smart.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shera, Ttigger Point ztherspy release is completely different. If you have any, you will know it. It will hurt to release. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    18. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good to know. Thanks.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmmm from what Im reading I think there definitely might be some issues relating to your jaw or neck. Not quite sure if its TMJ though, because you have no shifting, clicking, crackling or jaw pain going on, and you can also open your jaw without any problems. I always had some kind of diversion with my jaw, where it would jolt open to one side. Definitely look into your neck/posture though, there might be something up with that!

Thank you! Im really interested in this! And to be honest, I think I have a very bad posture that I need to fix somehow. I personally think my tinnitus is a posture/neck/TMJ related problem, especially after the hearing test coming back flawless, turns out I actually have above average hearing so there really shouldnt be a case of hidden hearing loss either. I have also noticed that if i shift my neck, relax my shoulders and straighten my back, the volume lowers by perhaps at least 40%. After doing some more analyzing and thinking. I think it is actually related to not only my TMJ, but also my bad knees. I have developed bad knees after being too eager in the gym and probably using some equipment the wrong way. I have very painful knees and I am pretty sure they have caused me to walk and stand in a different way, seeing how recently my lower back started to hurt as well, as if Im arching it too much, it actually hurts when I try to straighten it. Im going to try out some physiotherapy for all of that, and Ill let you guys know if I have any success. To be honest I have kind of accepted my tinnitus and actually feel blessed with the way as it is right now as long as it doesnt get any worse, but I just feel inclined to still try and figure out whats wrong with me and I seriously hope I can figure it out so that it might help other people.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IT sucks because my new pillow, I feel, seriously helps lowering my tinnitus, but at the same time it is causing me neck pain and shoulder pain beyond belief (probably from it pressing on my jaw), which is why I stopped using it for now. But it sucks because I seriously felt it was helping my tinnitus big time! But yeah I rather have slightly louder hissing than neck and shoulder nerve pain all day

21. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hopefully you'll find something that works. I just got my shoulder to quit hurting with some posture correction and altering my sleeping position.