Some Ramblings About My Tinnitus, and I'm Looking for an Indoor Water Fountain

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jacob83, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      First off, anyone have an indoor water fountain they like and could link to where to purchase? There's so many Amazon, but any first hand experience from someone with tinnitus would be best. I'm also not that crafty, so I'd rather buy one, plus it would be a cool piece to have, anyway. I like to read books, but since my tinnitus has been a lot louder this past month, I struggle a bit to ignore my head noise before I can put the sounds on ignore and get lost in the story. I can do it, but it takes some effort.

Now for the ramblimgs....

My tinnitus is SO FREAKING WEIRD and I don't get it. Sometimes it drives me crazy, sometimes I could couldn't care less about any of it. I live in an average sized apartment that's not very big and it's quiet, real quiet and as soon as I get inside from work my T just BLARES at me when I sit down on the sofa and it always initally freaks me out and I just think, "oh my god, WHY!? I can't escape this sound! There's so much sound!" even my cat will look at me like, "..the fuck, man? What's with you? Get over yourself and pay attention to me" (my cat's a narcissit) but when I go outside for a walk even on a quiet night my T is barely there. It's there, but my brain doesn't pick it up right away, I look for it and find it and then it's there, but it's such a small fraction of the volume compared to when I'm in a quiet, smaller room. Any idea on why this is? Even large, conference rooms that are silent my T doesn't sound at all like it does when I'm at home. It's frustrating. You could put me in a large sealed room with a fan and I wouldn't notice my T, but a small room with a fan and I can still hear my T.

Also our minds (or at least a lot of our minds :)) are so incredibly impressive at tuning out these invasive sounds as they are picking them up and locking on them. I noticed this a lot yesterday when I spent a good hour or so at the library for the first time in a couple months. As soon I was walked in, BOOM, just surrounded by loud head noise, it was so loud I couldn't believe it, but I shrugged it off, and when on my search for some books. I was on a mission and I wasn't going to let T take that from me. After about 20 minutes of searching the isles I noticed I wasn't bothered by my T and from that point on it got quieter and quieter and after about 45 minutes I didn't even notice it. Same thing when I got home... My T just BLARES at me and I'm in a state of shock and thinking, "I'm never going to be able to read these books. These sounds are just too much," but then it happens... a few chapters in the T just go back, and back and farther back into my head where I can't even tell it's there anymore. Then my mind looks for it, picks it up and it's loud again. Frustrating.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Fairy
      Cool

Fairy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Jacob, I take your tip and bought a water fountain well anyway it was so noisy.
      I have a nightmare about it. Keep your receipt. What type of sound do you have.?
      Make a plan what you are doing to do save yourself. My tinnitus and ears are hurting bad sevcrely. I don't know why they can not help someone. It is sad. Yes, I tried everything. I down to chiropractor and physiotherapy, also, mouth piece. So what are your plans, Tylenol, I believe advil spark my tinnitus today badly.I take advil because ears were hurting, now are severely hurting. It is 8:00. I stay until 12 so I don't to take twice with the noisy tinnitus.

Important: Read all success stories, Be a success. People make it out.
      I want to make it out. I want to make it out. I am a survivor. Today was first I was low end of the deck. That is pretty low. Hugs and Kisses.

3. Fairy
      Cool

Fairy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So seriously, whatever you do. So what is causing your problem. I am sorry that I did not ask.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      @Fairy,

I'm sorry your ears are hurting. I really am. My tinnitus can REALLY suck lately, but I don't have pain associated it with it as well. But it's like you said, YOU'RE a survivor and I'm a survivor, too. Tomorrow's a new day and I hope your pain goes away.

5. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      That's actually a good idea; I been thinking about maybe getting an indoor water fountain to make some noise for sleeping.

6. Fairy
      Cool

Fairy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dear Jacob: I would try to locate tinnitus center. There is lots of them in U.S. I love Wisconsin.
      I have travel a lot before this problem. I have been getting line and looking places to help me.
      I can travel any more. Why not, I am not giving up. There is tape on youtube about a girl going to arkansas and got type of treatment. One hour later she was well. It could be ultrasound.
      What am I working on Bee venom. You hear right. It does work. I also I find that it works in the lotion too. I would think is bee poo. I am guessing. lol. I research this one out too. I mean i am trying any thing. Actually, I find a source in the next town. lol. This is funny. Am I going to buy. lol. I am going crazy. lol

Bee venom heals lyme disease, also m.s. sometimes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Fairy
      Cool

Fairy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dear Jacob: I saw your ears were caused noise, high sound. You are lucky your tinnitus will go away on its own. (I did my homework). Look under loud noise on here.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      I hope so :) Thank you for the enouragement :) Yeah, I first got tinnitus when I was teenager. Lo-fi punk rock did me in. Damn, I love(d) that music, though. Serious stress knocked it up a few notches a month ago after so many years. Sigh.

How did you get yours?

9. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      That's pretty neat, Nona! Can you hear the flowing water in it?

11. Chris16
      Festive

Chris16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey jacob, you seem to be dealing pretty well with your tinnitus. Any tips for a new patient like myself to cope with it in everyday life. Nights are the worst, it can spike like crazy and it feels like I'm gonna lose my mind or break in tears literally(I know not so manly, but hell I couldn't careless about my manliness in those moments), sometimes I think the lack of sleep will screw up my health to a point to which I might I die and I don't wanna die, not now, not just yet. I am taking some meds my doctors have prescribed to help me sleep at night but they aren't of much help. I'm not even anxious or anything, I just can't sleep. Sorry to invade your post like that. I was looking for a water fountain recommended for tinnitus sufferers online and I found your post. I thought I should take advice from vets like you guys, please help me and sorry to bother you people with my problems.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      @Chris16 no worries about crying; tinnitus can bring the manliest of men to their knees. I've cried over my tinnitus before, but I've habituated and now thinking back about myself crying over this noise makes me feel a little embarrassed. It's just head noise. I WISH I could tell you words that would make you stop caring about your tinnitus, but I can't. Just keep on keeping on (sounds so silly I know, but just continue to live your life like you would but with protection around loud environments). Something happens.... the brain starts to get bored with being obsessed about a noise... then the fear goes away... then life comes back.

I had a huge spike 4 months back or so, and while my tinnitus never dropped back to it's original baseline, I got over it and it doesn't matter anymore that it didn't.

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. Chris16
      Festive

Chris16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jacob83 I've been trying to stay away from loud noises since I got Tinnitus, sometimes it's really hard to not be exposed to loud sounds. Just like today, I did a MRI, this thing is loud as fuck, the operator gave me some "cotton" to put in my ears and then placed two large spongy things next to my ears but from time to time the noises were really loud, so I had to press the release button and explain how loud the noises were, then he gave me a huge uncomfortable hearing protector, it was pressing against my ears for 20 minutes, I did my best to stay in that claustrophobic noisy machine and I tried to ignore the pain caused by hearing protectors. Eventually, the pain became unbearable, I had to press the release button again, I told him, I could still hear the noises and that I was doing my best not to press the release button way more often. He removed the hearing protection on one side, the left side, where my tinnitus is the worse, then he placed the spongy thingy back, the sound was still loud as fuck, but I did my best to lay in there for 10 more minutes and it was done. After that, I had different frequencies of Tinnitus but it went away pretty quickly but my high pitch Tinnitus was still here.

Then he told me to get out of the room, but I did not know what I was supposed to do after this. So, I went back in, to know if I could go home or if there was anything else I was supposed to do before going home. While searching for them, I saw a picture of the MRI scan on one of their monitors, I saw some kind of white spot right in the middle of my brain, it was side shot, the left one I think. I got scared, I went on google on my phone, searched for healthy MRI scan images, and I saw the same white spot, I thought it was normal, but then I googled "tumor symptoms" and some of the symptoms matches. But then again when you read stuff on the Internet, pretty much everytime the symptoms matches. So now, I'm stressing up about dying and I don't want to tell my family about it because I don't want to stress them. I'm so fucking scared right now.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      How long until you get the results back? I'd assume if you had a tumor, they'd tell you right away? no? Doesn't sound very professional either way not letting know anything or even if you should go home and all.

I had an mri done about 10 years back and when it was over, I waited around for a half hour and the doctor told me the results.

best of luck

15. Chris16
      Festive

Chris16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm from Mauritius, the only professional establishments here are the hotels. They said I could come collect the report today, but I won't be able to meet the doctor until Thursday. What will I do with the results anyway, if I can't get my doctor to read it and tell me what's in it until next week. I just hope it's nothing life threatening.

By the way, thanks so much for talking to me, I really needed to talk to someone about this.

16. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      @Chris16 I've had a follow up mri recently from the original taken a year ago for a follow up on white matter spots in an uncommon location. Bottom line they dont know what they are but they are not multiplying so told me not to worry. The doctor added everyone of middle age has wite spots scattered randomly in the head. Dont worry please!

As for the mri noise you've got to experiment with reusable ear plugs til you find a comfortable ones. If you can afford it get custom molded ones from a hearing aid place.

PS Most men have cried I'm sure many times over intrusive tinnitus. You're not alone
      PPS I took me 1.5 years before I could function reasonably normal. I miss the old me. Sleep is still difficult. I have less headaches now thank goodness. That was why I had the original mri for

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      No problem @Chris16

I hope Dave's post above puts your mind at ease for a bit

18. Chris16
      Festive

Chris16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Dave AUS define middle age, please? is 45-65? or younger? Because I'm 24. :unsure:
      Anyway, I'm trying to keep my mind busy, and not think about it until I meet my Doctor on Thursday, then I'll know what's really in the report.

I'm going to follow your advice for reusable earplugs, I'll see if I can get some made. If it's not possible, then I'll look it on Amazon.

Thanks for comforting me, man. Really needed to talk about it.

19. Chris16
      Festive

Chris16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jacob83 I don't know, man. The "middle age" bit confused me a little bit, now I'm wondering whether if it's normal for older people only to have this or it's for both young adults and middle age people. Good news, is that I don't have headaches anymore, I think the headaches were related to the stress caused by anxiety.

20. Chris16
      Festive

Chris16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My appointment is Tomorrow, I'm scared as hell, Tinnitus was less noticeable in the past few days, but now it's getting loud again.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      It's loud again because you're scared of your appointment. I hope it goes well, man. Report back here tomorrow and let us know!

22. Chris16
      Festive

Chris16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jacob83 Just got back from my appointment, apparently they found nothing wrong with me.

Here's the results:

OBSERVATION

Cerebral Hemispheres: Normal and no pathological enhancement after contrast adminitration
      Brainstem and Cerabellum: Normal
      Ventricles & CSF spaces: Normal
      Extra-axial Spaces: Normal
      Orbits & PNS: Normal
      IAC strutures: Normal
      CV junction: Normal
      Head & Neck MRA: Normal

IMPRESSION
      No abnormality noted on this study.

The doctor asked me again if my hearing was fine. I told him yes, and he hasn't recommended any audiogram or anything. He said that if I felt my hearing was fine, then an audiogram wouldn't be of any use. He also told me that my Tinnitus might the result of one of the many nasal infections I had 1-2 months before I got Tinnitus or the result of some the neck muscles spasms I had months before the Tinnitus became audible. He also added, it might go away, that I just had to not listen to loud sounds, to play sports and to move away from the possible causes of my past nasal infections which I think is in my room. :unsure:

And also, my Tinnitus is less loud now, it's bareable. I'm able to sleep with simply the fan on at night. I'm able to fall back to sleep whenever I wake up at night. It's liveable. I hope it goes away, if it doesn't, it's fine, it's not so loud now, I think I can learn to live with it.

23. Chris16
      Festive

Chris16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jacob83 @Dave AUS I wanna thank you guys for your support. I really appreciate the comfort you two provided to me in that scary moment of my life. I had no one to talk to about this and I was stressing like crazy. If I didn't have you guys.. I don't know what I would have done. Thank you so much guys. I wish the best. Oh and Happy New in advance.:thankyousign:

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      no problem! I'm glad I could help :)

Cheers on the clean bill of health! Happy new year to as well!

25. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus: