Sound sensitivity

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ilija, Oct 26, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      I wouldn't be writing here if it hadn't "changed" three days ago.
      I got Tinnitus from a gig I went to 2 months ago more or less, kind of bullshit since it was only my second gig but hey life can be bullshit some times huh?.
      My Tinnitus on its own is fairly mild and still slowly going down which is great, my sound sensitivity however is a pain in the ass.

I can hear sounds other people can't seem to pick up on, my PC making a ringing noise, my TV producing a ringing noise, I got this after 2 days of Tinnitus, not sure if it's sound sensitivity from the acoustic trauma or if it's stress induced because I listened to every little sound as hard as I could and I was really paranoid back then when I heard a ring I thought it was my Tinnitus, maybe this contributed to it somehow.

I wouldn't be writing if it hadn't gotten worse? yesterday I noticed that my fridge produces a really loud ringing sound, also I can hear it more than I could before I don't know why.
      I'm not sure if it's because a friend of mine yelled loudly for a sec about 2 times while he was over, or if it's just being the little shit it is.
      I tend to "find" ringing sounds in electric appliances when I hear them for enough time, maybe it just took a while for my ears to pick up on it, either way I'm worried if it's worsening or if it's just changing around.

From what I have read a lot of people seem to get sound sensitivity after acoustic trauma and for most of them it leaves after a while, I'm hopping I'm one of those, my Tinnitus decreasing doesn't mean much when my ears still ring the entire damn day from my tv or pc or fridge or whatever.
      I also find it weird how I only pick up on these sounds after a while and not immediately, of-course I also have sound sensitivity for old car brakes, also it seems that whenever I hear a frequency of 4000 Hz it seems louder than it should, read somewhere that the human ear is sensitive to that frequency not sure if true.
      I know I have hearing loss because when I listened to a video that went from 20hz-20khz I noticed dips at 9000hz and 11000hz probably hearing loss.
      Its funny how my Tinnitus isn't really noise induced as it's from some retarded piece of shit screaming into the microphone, he wasn't even the frigin' vocalist he was the base player, he screamed so loud it hurt my ears for a second, that's probably what fucked them over ISN'T THAT GREAT WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THAT THE VOCALIST DOESN'T SHOW UP.

What do you guys think is this going to blow over or is it permanent?
      I also go to school and the class room is really loud, I'm worried this is somehow contributing to the sound sensitivity not getting any better even getting worse.
      Thanks.

2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You're going to be fine, you're either focusing too much on the noises commonly produced by electronic appliances like TVs, computers, fridges, etc or you might be experiencing a form of hearing distortion where certain frequencies seem to be louder than they would usually be.

I think I already addressed this in another thread of yours, but I had similar problems last year when I caused my tinnitus to become worse and developed hyperacusis My right ear suffered from high frequency distortion for a few months and sounds very similar to what you are describing.

Many sounds, similar to those you describe, were distorted in my right ear. I could hear weird overtones produced by certain frequencies.

For example, I'd visit my mother at work (she's a cook) and I'd be in her kitchen, which I had done many times before, but at that time everything in my right ear sounded (for lack of a better word) super 'metalic'. Even in the shower, I could hear tones on top of the normal sounds produced by the shower that were strange, same thing applied to a bunch of other sounds like plastic bags, clicking my mouse, typing on my keyboard, watching TV, etc.

I even had a full spectrum audiogram performed and found out I had notches above 12khz (around 14-18khz) where I actually tested above 0db for hearing loss in my right ear. I don't even really understand how that would work, and the audiologist and ENT never really did a good job explaining it to me either other than mentioning something about possible recruitment. However, I think those notches were indications of the frequencies I was experiencing hearing distorting, thus I was able to hear them easier on the test.

Anyway, my hearing distortion would vary. Some days I wouldn't notice it at all, but there were other days where it was quite severe and I found that even typing on my computer and clicking the mouse was nearly intolerable. Good news is that it just eventually went away, it took a few months (probably 3?) but now my hearing is as normal as it ever was in my right ear. So try not to stress yourself out too much about it.

3. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      It seems that the sound distortion happens to a lot of people with Tinnitus, probably the nerves being damaged so they're sensitive to noise or something like that.
      Either way yes and yes.
      Although I do have sound sensitivity I focus on it way to much, when I'm not focusing on it, it goes down and I'm not even bothered by it, it switched around sometimes very quiet sometimes very annoying.
      Guess I should just ignore it as I'm doing with Tinnitus and wait it out I'm sure it isn't permanent.
      I guess it's probably because my Tinnitus isn't because of loud music rather it was because some idiot took a microphone that happened to be attached to some amps and screamed his lungs out making my ears hurt (probably what did me in).
      I'll try my best not to focus on them and in time I'm sure it'll go away slowly.
      Thanks for the helpful words, also it wasn't ear recruitment, ear recruitment is when you hear something LOUD, you probably just had sensitivity to those frequencies.
      Again thanks for the helpful words, I'm feeling a bit easier now, guess I just got it in my brain that everything about Tinnitus and Hyperacusis is permanent and never gets better, probably because I'm still scared about it all.

4. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      Same situation here. I started off with very faint T, ended up going to a bar/club with overly loud music and now I've had H/Sound sensitivity for the last 2 weeks. I literally have to ask people to lower their voice if they are talking loud. Its killin me :/