Sounds Sound Distorted After Tinnitus Got Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jimmie, Nov 16, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Jimmie
      Alone

Jimmie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I am on my 3rd week with a increase in tinnitus after a 3-4 week flu ended.
      It's bringing me down horrible and right now I am in a deep depression.

Not even did the sound increase but sounds distort (mainly in my left ear where the T increased)

Right now I am not sure if it's due to the depression, t increase, my feelings or what it causing it.

I remember when I got T back in 2011 the exact same thing happened, some sounds like keys cling, breaks etc just was so distorted.
      It went away with the H I had early on.

Right now I feel H again (both ears), and the same sounds sound distorted which makes music etc horrible again because some sounds just distort so much.
      Also the H does not make it better.

It is again though in 1 ear, like it was back in 2011, the left one.

Anyone else felt this when they got T, or after a nasty spike or similar?
      I have hopes the distortion goes away with the H after my depression starts to get better (hopefully)
      And that the increase in sound goes back some, well hopefully if my depression gets better then it gets better as well.

I am seeking help from everywhere I can ENT, doctor for phyciatrist etc.
      But I am struggling every day with the sound, makes me not wanting to live anymore, it feels JUST like it did back in 2011, still the same fear that sounds will be distorted forever, how can I live a life with this in my head this loud etc.

I guess I am in a constant panic/anxiety state which I believe the H comes from, because It was not there when I noticed the T got worse, It gotten worse in the same time I started to get worse.
      Also some pain "in" or behind the ears, especially the left which I believe is me tensioning up a lot when the sound is annoying in my neck,shoulders.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I'm hearing you. Even keys on a keyboard sound intense, dry and abrasive. More days than most lately.

3. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Jimmie,
      After a nasty bought of flu it can take weeks after for your ears to settle down as that's the last part to clear .

It can leave you feeling really rundown and the depression can be illness depression and not a heavy depression you have had a long time.
      I carn't promise your tinnitus will go away but it should settle down a little .

Lots of sleep and rest and take what you can to build yourself up again and some nice treats too.

I treat myself to a new CD music download and soon has me smiling again.
      Do what you can keep pressure off and stress down and be kind to yourself.

Try steam inhalation and try stay calm and relaxed....Take care...lots of love glynis

4. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Distorted sounds can indicate serious hearing impairment. It can be even more pronounced when the damage is asymetric (then you may experience diplacusis). From your post I can't tell if you visited an Audiologist. I would do that first.

5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I had high frequency sound distortion in my right ear for about 6 months back in 2013 when I accidentally made my tinnitus worse and brought on some nasty hyperacusis. It did go away though and I didn't notice any loss of hearing in that ear.

Best way I could describe the distortion would be that things sounded a lot more "metallic" - things like typing on the keyboard, clicking my mouse, handling plastic bags, doing the dishes and having a shower seemed to particularly distorted during this period.

I think time was the biggest factor in recovery, I didn't really do anything special, nor was an ENT or audiologist really able to give me any advice that was useful during this period.

So stay tough, hopefully it settles soon! Good luck!

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Yeah this is one of the hardest things for me. A lot of noises just sound like my T. Music sounds horrible here too. I guess we just get used to it. Yours went away once, it probably will again.

I'm in the middle of something new as well, more sounds, worse hearing etc. it's getting scary and I just feel so out of control. I tend to just want to sleep and sleep, it's my only escape.

• Hug Hug x 1