Specifically Timed Melatonin Dosage at Night Experiment That May Lower Tinnitus for Some People

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jan 4, 2018.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      This experiment may benefit people who wake up one day with low tinnitus and the next day with loud tinnitus. Previous experiments I have proposed involved taking it at specific times like 9 p.m. or 2 a.m., however, I believe now those have a fatal flaw. It is my belief that we all have our own body clocks. Some go to bed early and some go to bed late.

Not to mention, "rewinding" the body clock back to an earlier time requires much more than just taking melatonin.

Therefore, my experiment is as follows:

Take .45mg to 1.5mg instant release melatonin RIGHT before you usually fall asleep when it is dark and you are in bed. (Not an hour before or anything like that). This means, if you usually fall asleep at 1:30 a.m., take it then. If you fall asleep usually at 10 p.m., take it then. It MUST match your daily routine as taking melatonin 3 hours before could cause imbalances as your body clock is saying one thing while melatonin is doing another. (My theory, could be wrong) Try to be relaxed as you can and tired enough to fall asleep before you take it.

The reason for this is to affect your neurotransmitters and hormones right before entering stage 1 sleep, in the hopes that those effects, will give you an outcome of lower T when you wake up. Ideally, it would be great if it would be like some kind of "reset" button.

I found a chart that shows that as we age, our melatonin values decline:

peaks.jpg

Source: https://www.benbest.com/nutrceut/melatonin.html

If this is true, then perhaps a little supplement might help people whose tinnitus volume has gone up over the years.

If this works, then ideally the melatonin dosage would be lowered to the least amount possible.

For futher info on melatonin and tinnitus, you can read this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21859051

If you try this experiment, make sure it is okay with a doctor or pharmacist to take melatonin if you are taking other medications as there could be interactions. If you have erratic sleep patterns or different sleep patterns on the weekend this may not work.

If you try this experiment please report back. :)

Btw, if this doesn't work the first time but doesn't make your T worse, maybe you can try it for a few days in a row to see if it makes a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      @JasonP I've only taken it twice -- 1 mg each time instant release. Interestingly, both of the times I took it, I had a low T day the next day. I chalked it up to coincidence and don't want to feel dependent on melatonin since it's generally recommended for people changing time zones rather than as a sedative, but it did seem to help. I'm still wondering if it was just my imagination.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I understand. Perhaps you could take a lower dose such as .3 or .5mg once in a while if you have consecutive bad days? You could call a pharmacist and ask him more about it and if it is dangerous to take long term.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      One thing I forgot to add was that being hydrated before sleeping would make this experiment better. Lack of hydration will have a negative effect on the nervous system.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Jason.

Hope you're well.

Firstly, I just wanted to say that I appreciate all your reading and experimention with regards to tinnitus treatment. I often come across your posts and they are usually very useful/novel.

I can attest to the fact that if I good nights sleep then the tinnitus is lower and more tolerable the next day. Whether that it is because it is actually lower or whether it is becaues it just seems lower as I have more mental resources availible to me after sleeping well to push it to the back of my mind.

Also, the chart you posted above about melatonin levels with age is super fascinating, never knew it varied that much.

Thanks,

Sonny.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks a lot! I hope my posts can be of some benefit to people. I know sometimes I am tired and I will put together something not well written but hopefully most of the time I am making sense. :)