Speech in Noise Comprehension

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vinnitus, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I notice a lot of hearing tests nowadays also focus on the speech-in-noise comprehension ability. I read some articles which say speech-in-noise comprehension is decreased with Tinnitus sufferers and speech-in-noise tests are a better way to detect this type of hearing loss than the classic audiogram.

So I proceeded to do some quick online tests regarding speech-in-noise and came out unscathed, where the results are telling me I have good hearing. Of course those tests aren't really considered "professional", it's hard to determine which volume i should use for instance in order to get reliable test results. Did anyone try these kinds of tests, maybe in a more professional environment, and if so; what are your results?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vinnitus
      Tired

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Btw...

In one of the emails with the results of my hearing test, the following is mentioned...

Really? Can hearing aids slow the progression of hearing loss? That's a new one to me. Seeing as they are selling hearing aids, I'm quite skeptical of their statement.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have experimented with a number of these online tests; like you, I was confused about how to correctly set the volume on my headphones, and am skeptical that the results were at all useful. That said, my hearing is still good enough to show up as "excellent" in a typical hearing test, and subjective sound-based tests seem overall sketchy unless you have really serious hearing loss.

I'd never heard that aids would slow the progression of the loss; I can think of a couple interesting reasons that could be, but I've also read that hearing aids can make you lose your hearing faster, especially if you have to wear them at a relatively loud volume.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I had 2 professionally done speech-in-noise testsat audiologists offices to test for hidden hearing loss.

100% word recognition at 45dB in both ears... :/

5. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Check these out Vinnitus:

- Decreased Speech-In-Noise Understanding in Young Adults With Tinnitus http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4923253/

- Tinnitus is associated with reduced sound level tolerance in adolescents with normal audiograms and otoacoustic emissions
      http://www.nature.com/articles/srep27109

Both posted online this year in the month of June by different groups of researchers.

6. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Audiologists say that you need the hearing aids so that your brain doesn't lose the ability to process sounds.

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had one professionally done too, 100% word recognition also. But I know for sure this has changed for me since my acoustic trauma. I used to be able to pick up a conversation from across the room, now I have minor issues hearing people in noisy environments (which I generally avoid because of my H). I also have a hard time hearing speech past the noisy music in some TV shows until I put clear voice setting on my TV.

I have one idea why this test doesn't seem to detect for us. It is done low volume, both low volume noise and lower volume speech. From my understanding is there are nerve fibers that are not even active until sound pressure reaches a certain threshold (can someone confirm this?). So maybe you do have a hard time hearing speech in a 75-80 db room, but can hear a whisper fine in 40-50 db. I also wonder if tinnitus caused by acoustic trauma or noise over time can be caused by damage to these high threshold auditory nerves.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My father often conplained of not being able to hear people speak in environments with backround noise.

He didn't have T however he did spend most of his life driving diggers and doing security front stage at concerts with zero hearing protection.He was due to get a hearing test but unfortunately he never got to.

I however have horrible T and horrendous H but apparently my hearing is fine and my speech comprehension in noise environments is also fine according to my last audiologist.Personally I feel like I struggle a bit but that could also be from not being able to concentrate on what people are saying because of the pain.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vinnitus
      Tired

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Interesting. The studies seem to indicate that speech-in-noise testing might provide more reliable results for noise induced hearing loss than pure audiometry. I found another of such studies here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4923253/

However, when looking at the replies above me, it doesn't seem so certain. Of course this might be because there are no proper guidelines as to how this test should be performed optimally (volume levels, environment, used equipment, etc.). I experienced having little to no trouble comprehending speech from noise, unless I put the volume to its most lowest setting (but im not sure if im supposed to do that).

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do you think is your next move Vinnitus?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vinnitus
      Tired

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Well, I was just researching this subject as I read a lot about the potential of speech-in-noise testing for NIHL but I was skeptical because of my own outcomes with this type of test. Hence I was wondering what other people's experiences were regarding this test.

I've been reading the study I provided in my previous post a bit closer, and see the following mentioned regarding environment, used volumes and equipment.

It seems the test is performed on a constant volume of 65dB SPL. I should try to replicate that noise level here, although I have no audiometer handy. The study mentions that with these variables, there was a significant difference between tinnitus sufferers and a control group with no tinnitus.

I now wonder how the "professional" tests by the posters above were performed. According to them they had perfect speech recognition, which appears to contradict this study if the right variables were used during the test.

I just hope they are not walking into another dead end with this testing method...

• Like Like x 1
    12. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What are you expecting at the end of a test performed on yourself?

13. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I found this article today. See attached file.
      Effect of Tinnitus and Duration of Deafness on Sound Localization and Speech Recognition in Noise in Patients With Single-Sided Deafness

Attached Files:

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      They need to test speech in complex background noises like music ranging in low to high parts.

How well can you hear speech with competing frequencies? How well can you hear a high pitch chime in a song?

The whole idea is to test the entire cochlear spiral for damage, not just the human voice range.

15. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I found this article, see attached file.
      The Role of Cognitive Control in Tinnitus and Its Relation to Speech-in-Noise Performance

Attached Files:

16. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
    17. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      And also to allow their wallets to maintain maximum bulk.

@Vinnitus love your pic. That guy is roasting bowls regularly. Ancient alien theorists say every nutball theory is plausible :D

18. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Tinnitus Affects Speech in NoiseComprehension in Individuals With Hearing Loss

Abstract
      Background:
      Tinnitus is a prevalent auditory disorder that frequently co-occurs with hearing loss. It is suggested that tinnitus might have negative impact on speech perception. However, studies thus far have not been able to disentangle tinnitus, hearing loss, and speech in noise intelligibility. We therefore investigated whether there is an association between tinnitusand speech understanding in noise, independent of hearing loss.

Methods:
      Of 4,211 participants from the population-based Rotterdam Study (mean age 67.8 [SD 8.9], 57.3% female) data was available on tinnitus, pure-tone audiometry, and digits in noise test. We compared the speech reception threshold in noise (SRTn) in participants with and without tinnitus for the whole population as well as for subgroups stratified for average hearing threshold in 10-dB strata. Additionally, we regressed tinnitus on SRTn with a multivariable regression model, adjusting for sex, age, highest achieved education, and cognitive function.

Results:
      Participants with tinnitus (20.8%) had a higher SRTn (−3.6 dB [SD 3.7] versus −4.6 dB [SD 3.1]). This difference remained only in the subgroups of participants with hearing loss, between 0.6 and 0.8 dB difference in the SRTn for the different subgroups. In the fully adjusted model tinnitus was associated with 0.2 dB (95% CI 0.00, 0.39) SRTn increase.

Conclusion:
      We have shown that tinnitus is associated with speech intelligibility in noise, but it is a small effect, only found in people with co-occurring hearing loss.

Source: https://journals.lww.com/otology-ne...s_Speech_in_Noise_Comprehension_in.96106.aspx