Can a Tinnitus Spike from a Firehoure Siren Be Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by pleasejuststop, Apr 7, 2020.

1. pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I was walking about 30 feet from a firehouse. The siren went off all of a sudden. I can hear this siren from 15 blocks away so it's very loud. I'd never heard it go off at this time of day before so I wasn't expecting it. I was just 30 feet away from it.

I was walking with a friend so I was too embarrassed to run, like I should've. Which was so stupid. I'm so, so angry at myself for that. I just pressed my fingers against my ears and speed-walked. But the exposure lasted around what felt like 4 minutes, although it could've just felt that long to me.

Is it possible a spike from something this loud can be permanent?

When something like this happens, I just want to die. I feel like I can't enjoy anything or even go outside and just walk. It feels like every time I try, something happens to make things worse. And I'm so angry and regretful that I didn't run like I should've because I was too embarrassed.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Muffs

Muffs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yeah that sucks. It happens so unexpectedly and we feel embarrassed if we are with someone. Next time just do what you know is best for you and don't worry about the next guy. Feel better.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      The spike hasn't gone down. I'm feeling so sad and angry at myself. I've been falling asleep at 6 am. I feel like giving up. What's the point of living if this is going to happen every time I go out?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Anything is possible, but most spikes are temporary. Temporary spikes can last for over three months,
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/head-movement-spikes-tinnitus.25179/#post-290614
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-do-your-tinnitus-spikes-usually-last.23110/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-was-your-longest-spike.22099/
      but normally begin fading after 4-6 weeks.

Try to match the volume and the pitch of your tinnitus to some sound so that you can compare your tinnitus to that sound a month from now. If its relentlessly at the same level after 6 weeks, it would be a bad sign. For now it is reasonable to assume that your spike is temporary.

In case you haven't seen it, check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...itus-recently-this-info-will-be-useful.25741/

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Thank you Bill. What would you have done in this situation to minimize damage? I didn't know at the time that the siren would've gone off because it never went off outside of noon before. I now know I have to be nervous about it going off at any time and take the long way around it if I can. It was an air raid siren I think, so could've been around 140 decibels. I'm just angry at myself that I didn't run. I just covered my ears and tried to walk away but I was exposed to it for a good 3 minutes, 2 minutes at its peak. I don't know how much earplugs would've helped in this situation. I didn't have them in because this park area was always quiet the 1000+ times I've been there so taking the time to put them in would've probably caused more damage. If I had had them in, I would've put earmuffs on and ran. I would've done that if I was alone but I got embarrassed because I was with a friend. I just covered my ears and walked at a normal pace at first, and then started to walk faster after around 2 minutes. I regret that so bad because I would've taken embarrassing myself over a spike any day. I have to deal with the increase in volume, not anyone else. And the guilt from doing this to myself is overwhelming. I want to pretend I don't have this condition, and I can do everything everyone else can, but I can't, and incidents like these sadly always prove it to me.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would attempt to get away from the noise as fast as I could. I bring X5A muffs with me wherever I go, but it is my understanding that plugging one's ears tightly with one's fingers provides similar level of protection. It sounds like the only thing you could have done was to drop everything and run. If anyone thinks that one looks silly, so be it.
      Makes sense.
      I caused my own tinnitus, and I had also been feeling a lot of guilt about it. It gets better. A joke eventually stops being funny, and likewise these memories will eventually stop getting that strong emotional reaction... It takes about 6-9 months for this to happen. There is no point to beat yourself up about it, but I know very well that it is easier said than done.
      I have always argued on this forum that the sentiment above is dangerous. We need to remind ourselves all the time that we can't handle many of the things that the people without tinnitus can handle.

Hopefully three months from now you will be feeling much better and in that case this incident will end up being similar to being vaccinated against future threats.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      I think Siren and Alarm are the worse type of sound for your ears. You should be okay as you were at a reasonable distance. I got hit with a house alarm at very close proximity which I could have easily avoided then my ears gradually went downhill. Yes I do regret but what’s the point.

8. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Hey! So sorry that this happened to you. Sirens and other noises like it are some of the worst to have to look out for, for sure. But I really do think that in time this will go down for you. I was exposed to a fire alarm last November 4th that debilitated me completely for 2 weeks and left me struggling heavily for about 3-4 months. It’s been steadily going down and life has been bearable again, and I would say I’m 95% back to where I was pre-spike, to where I’m living completely normally- just carrying ear plugs in public now.

Give it a few months and take great care of yourself and your ears well. It should improve at least a tiny bit. Wishing you well.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, those sirens are too damn loud. However, don't beat yourself up as stuff happens. The spike may be permanent, but it can take months to see what happens. Your goal should be to limit further noise exposure, like all of it. I had trouble sleeping as well initially, and then with some melatonin at night, plus earplugs to sleep, things got a lot more manageable.

Feel better soon, and this problem will definitely test your patience as it totally did mine.

• Agree Agree x 1