Spike in Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by hannahdoubleyou, Sep 17, 2017.

1. hannahdoubleyou

hannahdoubleyou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (I think)
      Hi All,

I work at a supermarket and since my tinnitus is only a month old I've been wearing some wax ear plugs to protect my ears but so I can still hear customers. Yesterday I was in the back and there was a loud clang from some metal equipment right near me. Of course I was wearing my wax ear plugs but I immediately started to panic that maybe it was too loud and would make my tinnitus worse. My anxiety continued rising and rising. When I got in bed last night and turned my laptop off to go to sleep I noticed my right ear is louder and is still louder now after going to sleep.

I'm terrified and thinking of going to the Drs tomorrow for some prednisone. Am I imagining this? Could one reasonably loud clang really make it worse permanently even though I was wearing mild protection? Will prednisone help and how do I convince my GP to give me some? I'm only 21 and I'm absolutely petrified.

Thanks,

Hannah

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @hannahdoubleyou

I don't think you will find a GP in the UK that will prescribe you Prednisone for tinnitus, and I don't recommend it. Please follow the advice in the links to my articles that I've sent you. You may need something to help settle your anxiety and your GP will probably be able to help you with this. Use noise reducing earplugs that have filters in if you find external sounds irritate your auditory system, but try not to become too dependent on them. Help is in my articles: Hyperacusis, As I see it. You have the link.

Prednisone is not the way forward. Learning to relax and to be calm with the help of the right medication if required, is. Ask to be referred to ENT for tests, but as I've already mentioned to you, an early appointment isn't best unless you have additional symptoms such as: pain in the ears, balance problems, deafness or dizziness. Leaving tinnitus alone is the best thing in the early stages.

Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      In my country, Prednisone is a standard therapy for very early onset, acute tinnitus. This is based on the view that tinnitus, in its early stages and I'm talking first days, is a symptom of inflammation of some sort and that steroidal medication may possibly prevent permanent auditory damage. I'm surprised that this is not the case in the U.K. That doctors would not try and intervene when disaster may be averted seems very irresponsible to me.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have read some people have benefitted from taking Prednisone in the early onset of loud noise exposure. Others have said that it had no effect. I have also noticed in this forum, some people getting into a panic at the mere hint of a spike, in their tinnitus and rushing off to the doctor for prescription medications, and they are handed out like smarties. I read a post a while back, where a member was mixing two different medications without her doctors knowledge, to see if it would help her tinnitus. This is dangerous and I'm glad that our GPs are not so quick to write prescriptions for tinnitus in the early stages (or at any time) because it's not what is needed. Careful evaluation, consideration is the correct way to treat tinnitus. Not by making people think, popping pills is the answer and sending them on their way.

This is why. After tests have been carried out on a person's auditory system and if no underlying medical problem is found that is causing the tinnitus. Patients in the UK are often referred to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for treatment and the management of tinnitus. Sometimes a person might be advised to wait for a while, as many people do naturally habituate. However, if a person has real difficulty coping with tinnitus then a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist will normally offer some form of treatment. This can be: counselling, CBT, TRT, medication and the wearing of white noise generators or hearing aid/s. Mindfulness and relaxation classes. These treatments are offered where available.

This is the correct way to treat tinnitus in the early stages and beyond.
      Michael

• Like Like x 2