Tinnitus Spike After Having Some Salted Popcorn

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cor, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Whoa, I just experienced what a real spike is. Damn. My tinnitus went to 11 after I had some salted popcorn last night. I had pretty much adjusted to tinnitus, but this is seriously bothering me again.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      An unbelievable spike made me suicidal a few days ago, although I was supposed to know how to handle and cross a spike after my almost 8 years old T, but that spike was a 250/10, a drilling machine in my ear. I took Clonazepam (Klonopin/Rivotril) to help it. It worked.
      It is not clear what has caused your spike:
      -the salt in the popcorn
      -the stress that you put onto your temporary mandibular joint (TMJ)
      -the sound in your head while eating popcorn

As a solution to make it subside I don't think it's the end of the world to resort to a benzo like Clonazepam. If you don't have it, or you don't want to take a benzo, go outside and take a long walk, and if you start doing plenty of physical exercise that's even better.

Good luck!

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      First thing I did in the morning was take a 0.25mg xanax :) Havent done that in a long while. But you know, thats what it's there for. Then went on a 6K fast run. It's a lot better now, at least subjectively.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      What's interesting is, something ive never experienced before. The loudest T is in my right ear. I woke up on my left side, and couldnt hear crickets outside. Normally it's pretty loud with crickets. I turned over, and the crickets were there. The T masked the crickets!! Ive never ever had that before. Normally the crickets are great for masking my T.

5. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I think salt is one of the few foods that bothers my T as well. After having a bunch of salted tortilla chips a few nights ago, my T seemed to be louder for the rest of the night. It's happened a few times after eating salty meals too, just took me a while to put 2 and 2 together.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I had given up on caring about food. But I think I'll avoid salty popcorn for a while.

7. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I Think i just had experience this,
      i had some salty popcorn last night
      and i couldt sleep, T remains sorta loud

8. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Salt and sugar spike my T like crazy. -- Coffee does too but at least I get some kind of buzz from it.

So hard to eat food with no salt but looks like we need to give it a try.. :-(

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
    10. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      The food connection IS perplexing. That said, once you develop a neurological condition, certain foods and their chemical compositions may now becoming troubling whereas before they weren't. The body is a complex system and nothing is straightforward in it. Everything depends on circadian rhythms, diet, medical conditions, all the blood chemistries, cardiac status, respiratory status, general health, sleep status, etc., etc. So this may also explain why a food that causes problems at one time may not at another. It is all so vastly complex. If you find that one thing consistently causes troubles, well, at least that can then be avoided.

11. strato2009

strato2009 Member

Doesn't salt increase blood pressure? I notice spike also after excercising, blood pressure related probably

• Agree Agree x 1