Spike — Super Scared

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elfin, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi guys,

I have recently been exposed to some low flying aircraft. I was visiting a friend and we have been enjoying the warm weather.

We went for a picnic (4 hours with the dog) and I was exposed to some really low flying small aircraft. The noise was loud for around 20 seconds each time and I was exposed to maybe 10 of these. The park does not usually have such aircraft flying lowly over it, so it took me by complete surprise.

Tinnitus has spiked now and I am super scared of having made it worse. I put my fingers over my ears for a couple of them. And plugged my ears for a couple with er-25s. The noise still seemed super loud.

Will I be ok. Has anyone else experienced this? I am mentally spiralling right now and would really welcome some help and advice.

Thanks guys

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes you will be ok. Airplanes fly at least a few hundred to a thousand feet above you (per flight rules, depends on country/airspace) and while it may seem loud, it was probably not as loud as you thought they were. I doubt you incurred any damage to your auditory system as the result of those short-lived events (you say 20 seconds each).

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Is this the case for privately owned small aircraft?

4. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Like Greg said, I doubt any damage has been caused by it, possibly you’re letting your anxiety take over a bit which is understandable. Funnily enough, while I was out today with my dog, a plane flew over twice and it was extremely loud and actually felt the vibrations through my whole body. It can be scary when that happens but I’m sure you will be ok.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi @Jcb thanks for replying. I too felt the rattling loud and a vibration. Do you have an increased spike as a result?

Seems to be impossible to live a normal life or within 'normal' society with this condition!

6. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      No I was fine, can’t lie as I wasn’t expecting it, this did rattle me a bit, especially the vibrations. I haven’t had a spike as of yet and hopefully I won’t. I think the aircraft would have be pretty close to do any actuall damage. It may be as you’re overthinking it, this will increase slightly or give the impression that your T has spiked. Just try and take your mind off it and see if it settles down.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes.

8. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      you can try some dexamethasone for spike.

9. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree.

10. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      How’s it going Elfin? It’s the same pattern repeating itself bud. Try not to get sucked in by the power of your emotions; you won’t have suffered any damage from that. It’s the thought of causing yourself damage that’s your biggest concern as it’s pushing your anxiety into overdrive.

You really do need to break this pattern because it’s going to consume your life. You will get over this event until the next one happens, and it will repeat over and over. I know exactly how you feel, and it’s horrible, but that feeling in your case is driven by your fear of sound.

Hang in there you’re gonna be just fine (y)

• Like Like x 1