Is Lexapro (Escitalopram) Induced Tinnitus Reversible?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bruno Rodrigues, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Bruno Rodrigues

Bruno Rodrigues Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi my name is Bruno, I'm 24 years old.

I'll try to tell you a bit about my story, but first of all, I would like to apologise for my English not being that great.

So exactly 2 months ago I started taking Lexapro because I had a rough week due to anxiety.

It all went fine till I reached the 21th day when I noticed a buzzing noise in my ears. It only lasted for a few seconds so I didn't even care at that time. The following day the same thing happened only for a few seconds as well.

And then I reached the 23rd day, I woke up and I had this really loud noise in both of my ears followed by hyperacusis. Obviously I got really scared. For the next 4 days I reduced the Lexapro by half, taking only 5 mg, and by the 28th day I stopped it completely.

Hyperacusis went away a week after stopping the Lexapro, but tinnitus is still persisting a month and a week later.

I've been searching and tinnitus is quite a common side effect from SSRI medication such as Lexapro and a few people had struggled with this situation but I'm not able to find anyone that has recovered from it and I'm really scared that this is permanent. I know it is just a noise but it bothers me a lot.

Does anyone here know anything about tinnitus caused by ototoxic drugs? Is it reversible? Or am I doomed to live with this condition?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Tryn2BHopeful
      No Mood

Tryn2BHopeful Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Escitalopram/Stress/Ultra High Frequency Hearing Loss
      • Friendly Friendly x 1