"Stable Exposure Conditions" — Limits to How Much Hearing Can Be Lost?

Discussion in 'Support' started by K.A., Sep 20, 2021.

1. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/857813-clinical

"In stable exposure conditions, losses at 3000, 4000, and 6000 Hz usually reach a maximum level in 10-15 years."

I read this statement as "the more hearing already lost, the more noise I could tolerate without making it worse".

What do you guys make of this? This statement is in opposition of what many members here state; that your ears are damaged and may from now on be more easily damaged from noise - that you tolerate less noise than before from now on...

My main issue is that after an acoustic trauma (special event not occurring before in my life) I have been very afraid of exposing myself to the noise levels I used to before the event, even though I have been having a "stable exposure" I would say in the last 15 years (with exception of the bad event/day).

Could I start up again my "old life" from before the event, playing music in my car and opening soda cans and closing the trunk and doors of my car without hearing protection, kicking footballs without being afraid the "kick-noise" is damaging?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1