Steroids: Prednisone / Dexamethasone / Others (Oral and Injections)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    2. suomynona

suomynona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NEOMYCIN
      Hi everyone - first post. I developed tinnitus and hyperacusis, 11 days ago. This was after taking Neomycin for 5 days (and immediately stopping it once I noticed the ringing). That will be the last time I ever take a drug prescribed to me without first doing research, but the damage is done...now what do I do?

Finally saw an ENT last Thursday...he said he can give me oral Prednisone, but held off prescribing because at that point, I was too scared to take anymore medication! Now that I have found this forum, I want to ask if this is my best option to try and tame this beast? Especially since I'll still be 12 days post-onset by tomorrow?

I'm just very, very scared to make my T & H worse. Please help.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      First of all, check out
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf
      for a list of drugs to stay away from.

I don't know much about the treatment of drug-induced tinnitus. I believe I read somewhere that a lot of the time T eventually goes away after the ototoxic drug is discontinued. One thing you could try are those steroid ear injections.

You can try researching this on scholar.google.com
      https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...n+patients&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&as_ylo=2013

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...eomycin+patients&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&as_ylo=2013

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bing73

Bing73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi friends,
      I developed Tinnitus on my R ear since Feb 2017. It's a hissing sound. I don't know where it came from. Audiology test showed mild hearing loss. 20 db loss on R ear, 10 db on L ear. But only right ear has tinnitus. I have seen 5 ENTs. This week I saw a new doctor. He didn't even look my ear. He said single ear tinnitus always come from viral attack. He wants to do an intratympanic injection with dexamethasone. I am worried side effects or my tinnitus/hearing may get worse after intratympanic injection. What is your opinion? Thank you for your helps! Bing from Arizona

5. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      It seems too little, too late. You have T for more than 3 months and it is unlikely that dexamethasone will do anything. Unilateral T is very common, and it can be result of many problems. If your audiogram is asymmetric that can be a very possible explanation. Also remember that common audiograms go only to 8KHz, and one can have more damage above that frequency that can result on ugly T. Hissing usually indicates a broadband damage. Do you know the rough frequency of your hissing?

• Creative Creative x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What if a high-pitch turn gradually (over a period of many months) turns into hissing?
      And what about hissing reverting to a high-pitch tone after a second acoustic trauma? What would these two scenarios indicate?

7. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      Tonal T is the most common T sound regardless the type of damage. Is your audiogram any different after the second trauma? Are the tone now and the hissing before at about the same frequency?

8. Bing73

Bing73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I don't know the frequency of your hissing? should I cancel the injection?

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I haven't done an audiogram. My T began on the evening of the day when I did a hearing test, so I will probably stay away from another one.

The hissing + tone used to change frequency all of the time. Now the most of the time the frequency is higher than it used to be before...

10. JoyBenz007
      No Mood

JoyBenz007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer whats the difference between audiogram and hearing test?

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I use these two words interchangeably.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      I've had a spike since last Saturday and some muffled on my right ear. Would it be wise to try out prednisone? I already have T since I was 13, just been gradually getting worse. My spike was due to a loud music in the car and bar music.

My T just recently got louder since 7 days ago. Would this be wise to try it out and see if it settles my T back to the normal levels?

13. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      A hearing test, tests your hearing and the chart that the hearing test produces is the audiogram.

14. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm on Predinisone now, I finnaly spoke to a family doctor about what happened to me 7 days ago. He put me on low 20mg for 5 days and a refill if he thinks I need it later. He said I still had time maybe it can go back to baseline or even lower.

Has anyone taken NAC or magnisium along side with prednisone?

I really hope this works.

15. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Has anyone experienced a loud Hum when in a quiet room after taking prednisone?

I'm thinking the prednisone made my Tinnitus worse. I stopped taking it last night was my final dose. I've been on it for 6 days, just came back from a long road trip when I'm in a quiet room I don't hear my regular T but now a loud hum???

Could the road noise cause my loud Hum? I kept on checking the db meter and it was around 79 and below. I usually get this after a long flight but after yesterday's trip I'm freaking out now...

How long does the prednisone last in the body once you stop taking it. I heard it can take up to a week.

16. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Prednisone does not make tinnitus worse, or is ototoxic. It can increase your anxiety and adrenaline levels though which is likely why your Tinnitus has been acerbated.

17. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    18. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I am not sure where this brochure is getting that information. I looked up FDA side effect reports for predisone and "pounding in the ears" is listed, so I am guessing that is where their info comes from. Quite likely because predisone can increase adrenaline and anxiety levels. This would be a temporary side effect.

19. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm wondering why the doctor didn't taper me off slowly... I was on for 20mg for 6 days and yesterday I stopped. He told me to only go for 5 to 6 max. I kinda stopped cold turkey but that's what the doctor told me it would be ok.

I do feel like my anxiety levels are high and more stressed since I been on the prednisone.

20. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think sometimes they do not taper for shorterm doses. I took predisone for more than two weeks, and I both tapered on and off.

And I agree, my anxiety went through the roof! I couldn't sleep. It was awful. My doctors warned me that would likely happen, but it was still stressful.

• Like Like x 1
    21. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also read that it could take up to a week or up to a month, depending on the person for the actual drug to completely flush out the system. is this true?

22. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes! I was told by multiple ENTs and my general doctor that oral steroids can take at least a month to completely flush out -- which means they can also continue to work during that time. I had some bloodwork two weeks after and the numbers were off, waited until six weeks after the steroid and everything was normal again.

• Like Like x 1
    23. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      T
      Thanks for that. I'm planning to go see my GP and get all my blood work done as well. So I'll let him know that.

• Like Like x 1
    24. ChristopherD
      Wtf

ChristopherD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 28, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma - (idiot yelled straight into my ear)
      @Applejuice The otorhinolaryngologist told me the window was 3 months from the moment you get it. I'm going to the pharmacy right now. She said it's a numbers game, 1 out of 3 or 4 get results. I was hesitant to take it for a week, but I guess times runs out and I'm afraid of missing the deadline if that was my best shot I had, even if it meant no guarantee.

I'll start taking it today or first thing in the morning and I will post daily updates.

I'm still new to the forum, been only two days on it, but I will try to create a new thread and document day by day, if it can prove worthy to anyone, I'll share my findings.

25. ChristopherD
      Wtf

ChristopherD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 28, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @JurgenG I just got back from the pharmacy, box in hand, and I feel the same doubts, but I already paid for them.

26. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      From what I've learned, the most dangerous effects are if you take them longer than 10 days.
      But for short periods they are pretty safe, do check with your GP, and read the included information.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @ChristopherD its worth a shot to be honest.

I recently took a 6 days 20mg and 7th day 10mg course of prednisone and to be honest it didn't do much for me at all. My reason for me taking it was that I went out one night almost a month ago and came back home with a stronger T. Stupid me I forgot to wear hearing protection but didn't think it was loud at time. Before all this time I was perfectly habituated for almost three years and didn't even notice my T in a quiet room. I was eating what I wanted and drinking what I wanted without any significant changes to my tone of my T to be honest. That how good I had it.

Just to let you know though, your anxiety and adrenaline may go through the roof and you might feel a lot of head pressure(yours maybe different). Your T may increase a bit from what I've been reading. Mine unfortunately has not gone down :( I stopped taking predinsone yesterday, and it might take up to a week for the steroid to leave the body. I now have low hum in addition to what I have. I'm praying I go back to what I was before....

• Informative Informative x 1
    28. ChristopherD
      Wtf

ChristopherD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 28, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @EatMoTacos I don't believe in God, but I will also pray at night in my own way for your low hum to return to normal. I feel you man. Sorry to hear this.

29. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Has anyone taken prednisone back to back with the break in between let's say 5 day break and started again on another pack?

30. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      for what it's worth my ENT said the prednisone is not really helpful for noise induced hearing loss but might help with sudden hearing loss, in any case he gave me an emergency two week prescription if something were to happen.

• Like Like x 1