Steroids: Prednisone / Dexamethasone / Others (Oral and Injections)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I took em at 7am with food every morning, and I couldn't sleep.
      Last night I slept 9 hrs without taking them. I seen an ENT today, naturally he wasn't helpful at all, but suggested if the prednisone wasnt making me feel better to just stop taking it. (it really wasnt except for one day).
      I'll continue going for hyperbaric oxygen therapy, I hope it will have an effect.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. donico
      Creative

donico Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How long and quantity do they have to be taken for there to be no rebound?

Im taking them myslef and tapering after four days

3. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      If your T respond to corticosteroids don't stop them.
      Corticosteroids must tapered slowly if you stop them suddenly you will freak.
      Ask your doctor how to stop safely corticosteroids.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. donico
      Creative

donico Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Freak from rebound of T or from other side effects?

5. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Corticosteroids must tapered slowly because when you take them externaly
      endogenous production of corticosteroids stop and takes some time to recover the endogenous production of
      corticosteroids. If you stop sudden corticosteroids the is is danger to have symptoms of addison syndrome.
      Also the only drug that exists today and can cure T at first stage are corticostoroids.
      Don't loose this change.
      For sudden unknown cause of T first line treatment are corticosteroids.

6. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear that. I am taking drugs to sleep, so perhaps my experience is not typical. But I will say that, by about 5 p.m. each day, I can feel the tired feeling coming on, but that might have to do with chasing two young kids around each day. Good luck with the oxygen therapy. Love to hear updates from that.

7. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      I done 2x oxygen chamber 12 days + 10 days. no result except that sound entering the room is too loud, can damage hearing

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

Really? Damn I wish I had read this. I didn't start oral prednisone till 6 days after the trauma that set off my T. My ENT did mention she could do a steroid injection if the prednisone didn't seem to be working, but she never did and I never followed up on it. I should have asked for it right away. So many regrets, I'm not the one that caused the loud noise that did the damage, but I have a lot questioning if there was something I could have done better to improve the outcome. I should have advocated for myself more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. rzhang
      Transparent

rzhang Member

i have had tinnitus for 4 months, is it worth it to start prednisone this late?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    10. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I don't know and nobody else probably does either. I doubt a short course of prednisone would do any harm. Only thing I ever heard was that it can be hard on your adrenal glands. Ask your Dr. on any possible harmful effects.

11. Philip

Philip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection or noise exposure or both
      Prednisone can be helpful for an ear tremor (it's different than tinnitus but more difficult to mask).

It has no affect on tinnitus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I'm about 4-6 weeks out from onset on tinnitus. I went the AM-101 route and have my last injection today. However, if prednisone is still an option, I want to take it.

I also have slight hearing loss in the ear with the ringing. I know this from audiogram done from AM-101 trials. Do I still have the option of getting my hearing back at this point? Thanks for any help.

13. AlexSongitus

AlexSongitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It's having a good effect on mine.

Day 1, got total silence for 5 hours by the end of the day.
      Day, 2, rebounded in the morning, came back full blast, but got it down to about a 3 by night.
      Day 3, today I started with a 3, and it's been down to about a 1 all day long.

I'm supplementing it with some B12 and Magnesium, Calcium and Zinc as well as some Ginko. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but even for these 2 days of near silence, it's totally worth it! If for no other reason, to experience silence again after that raging sound in my head for 6 days straight, is not only peaceful, but it gives you huge psychological relief!

I have some mild side effects, dry mouth, increase in appetite and some dizziness, but I sleep like a baby even with raging T, so no insomnia issues.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Philip

Philip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection or noise exposure or both
      great to hear you've had a good experience.

But be careful you can't use it past 5 days otherwise it will cause you health difficulties.

I've tried all those supps too.

Didn't work for me...but if your tinnitus is short term maybe you have some inflammation which may clear up soon.

good luck

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What set off your T? Glad it's getting better. That's a good sign.

16. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @AlexSongitus
      How much Prednisone you take per day and how (in how many dosages?)

17. AlexSongitus

AlexSongitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm on my third day, taking 3 a day right now, 20mg each. Today is my 9th day since onset(most likely from prolonged acoustic trauma, but could be other things contributing in addition to that).

I have been spacing them out at 8 hour intervals, but I am still trying to see if the third pill at night( I just took it) really is effective. Like I explained above, my 2nd day on Prednisone, yesterday, I woke up with my T in full blast after experiencing total silence the night before for about 5 hours. This morning it was stable as it was when I went to bed, so it appeared as if it did. So I'm not 100% sure if it's best to do it at 8 hour intervals, if the one before bed curiously loses its effect over night, or if it was better to do 3 throughout the day at 5-6 hour intervals. Either way since I have been on it I have had 2 fantastic days, day 1 and 3, and one day that was a setback but still an improvement.

I'm curious to see what will happen in the morning, because right now I have 1 day where it lost all its affect overnight, and 1 day where it kept my T constant from when I went to bed to morning. I didn't get 5 full hours of complete silence like day 1 today, but it's kept it at near silence, I would say a 1 throughout the entire day, and at times completely unnoticeable without listening for it. The biggest difference today is that it worked quickly. Within 2 hours of waking up I had it down to near silence. The first day it took about 6 hours to get there but it also got me to complete silence for a longer period of time. Will have to see tomorrow.

Either way, during the day, Prednisone definitely works for me. So I urge anyone with a new case, to quickly go to an ENT and get on it if you can to see if it works for you! And it really worked to kick start it with some audio therapy that lowers my T. Finding any little exercise, Youtube video, white noise that just kicks it down a notch to start the day, seems to help Prednisone keep it there and continue to lower it from that point on.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with night and sleeping, and why in the morning it seems like I start over, or if day 2 was just some weird fluke because if I go off of day 2, sleeping seems to cause setback my 2nd day. I'm going to keep posting updates here for the entire duration if you are curious: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ar-silence-third-pill-since-last-night.13267/.

I will post my experience for the entire 9 day duration of the prescription and explain what else I'm doing. Monday I have an appointment with my ENT and will be discussing AM-101 and see if he thinks I should continue the Prednisone to the end.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. Thea
      Scared

Thea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/1/16
      How do you know it is the prednisolone making the tinnitus go away rather than it is just going by itself? I feel so rubbish on the drug but daren't stop (I know it's only 7 days but I am just out of hospital after a totally unrelated operation so I feel awful anyway) in case that is what is stopping it. I have been diagnosed with SSHL though I can hear fine - I just failed the tuning fork tests fairly spectacularly.

19. Angel G
      Dreaming

Angel G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Unknown to my ENTs. I believe it's a kind of life form in my head (which does not belong there).

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. Mdth

Mdth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MVA
      Just joined this forum. I initially developed tinnitus from an unknown cause back in '08, but with a vitamin combo and time, it became barely noticeable. Then a month ago due to an MVA with airbag deployment, its back :( . Saw my previous ENT who offered nothing, so saught a second opinion. 3 weeks in, but new doc put me on gradually decreasing steroids, feeling it could help because my symptoms were still in flux. Wondering if anyone out there has some related experience?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I wonder if there's a parasite that's causing tinnitus in some of us.

22. Blue Princess

Blue Princess Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stapedectomy
      Hi, My T started 3 weeks after a stapedectomy surgery on my right ear and I am having it for 3 weeks now. Never had it before the surgery. My surgeon prescribed Prednisone. Started today. Has anyone had similar experience?

23. bekker

bekker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise / festival
      I have got a very very mild tinnitus in August 2015 i Didn't noticed it really. Then in december and february it got worse. It now has influence on my live. I got it from loud noise. Two weeks ago i went to a bar with earplugs but i think it got worse but i'm not so sure. If i take corticosteroids could it do Anything good to my T or is it too late? And wat are the Side effects of corticosteroids. My doctor Said it is too late and he think it doesn't work so he Didn't gave it to me but i could ask it again. In my mind it feels Like a missed chance if i don't take it.

24. Stefan K

Stefan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly Music/Power Tools
      Just thought I'd let u guys know I started a course of Prednisolone last Friday (27th May) after having constant tinnitus for about 1-3 weeks. Before that I was prescribed Betahistine known as Serc16 for about a week prior, which did seem to change the tone of my T when it initially started.

Currently I'm just about finished my Betahistine, prescribed 16mg x 3 a day (Now currently down to 1 a day, tapering off).

As for the Prednisolone I was prescribed 25mg 1 x a day for 4 days, then 12.5mg for 4, then 6.25mg for 4 days. However, I am up to my fourth day of 25mg (30th May) and noticed improvements in my T levels. I contemplating going against doctors orders and extending my 25mg dose for a longer period after reading some peoples posts in this thread.

Does anyone what the long period of time they were consuming Prednisolone for? and how many days were required to taper off?

Thanks in advance

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    25. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      It has been 4 months since the onset of my T. Should I take them by this far? Mine is from benzos and I heard some people do experimental studies on them with this drug and got reduction lasting for weeks.

26. Andi Wijaya

Andi Wijaya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ENT prescribed me prednisolone after 7th day of onset:
      100mg for 2 days
      50mg for 2 days
      Until 2.5mg on the 14th days

This is my 2nd day. The loudness decreased for a few hours and came back. Is it working or not?

27. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Did it help Andi? How is your loudness now?

28. Andi Wijaya

Andi Wijaya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @gotyoubynuts
      Maybe I got used to it but Yes I feel much better, but I think you need to protect your ears just in case yours are too sensitive. I prefer to hear the tinnitus with my earplugs than having a bad tinnitus in the night because of loud sounds. I don't know what makes it louder but I am very sure, very loud sounds (slammed door) will make T go crazy.
      The ENT test (pretty doctor, vasalva, hearing test from old machine) saved my sanity yesterday (I didn't know how the volume was down after ENT appointment) after someone slammed a door in front of me the day before. I think you know more than me about T.
      I do still have it but manageable (unheard in the city) and I can sleep well too.

29. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      And I,
      How are you getting on and sleeping on so high dose of steroids ?...lots of love glynis

30. Andi Wijaya

Andi Wijaya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My legs were aching for the first 2-3 days and I was experiencing insomnia too but it has passed. My regimen is going to end soon. Hopefully, the T stays low after this.

• Helpful Helpful x 1