Steroids: Prednisone / Dexamethasone / Others (Oral and Injections)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Stefan K

Stefan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly Music/Power Tools
      Thought I'd share my follow up on my Pred course. I finished a 16-day course with the highest dose over 4 days @ 50mg then tapering off until I stopped on the 11th June.

I must say this stuff is amazing and I would urge anyone suffering to give it a shot. It really did help me to a point where I wasn't able to sleep because of this sound yet now I barely notice it being well over a month since I stopped taking it. The most notable thing I noticed was my appetite doubled, I was eating constantly and trying to eat quite healthy mostly boiled eggs, meats and veggies/fruits. Also, when I started to taper off my joints were aching (especially my knees) however this eventually passed.

Anyway I don't know if my tinnitus was destined to go away on its own but I really owe it to this drug. I believed it helped greatly and suppressed it to a very low hiss which I barely notice and doesn't really affect me or my sleep anymore.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Is there any point in trying steroids years after onset?

3. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Is it worth doing steroids orally or injection for noise trauma on an ear already damaged and with T, but done to stop T from getting/staying worse? I've been exposed to 109db, same level from a woodsaw that made my T worse last year and I'm concerned this has caused me damage. T is louder and ear is a bit full, not sure I can just sit and wait this time, as this was loudest exposure I've had in almost a year.

4. Elenna95

Elenna95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello! I'm new at this and i not speak very well English :p
      I have tinnitus since 14/07/2017 (one week and 5 days) and i don't know the reason. It's in both ears, i can only hear it in quiet spaces.
      I have many questions...i'd like to try oral prednisone before it will be to late, and i don't know the dose i have to take, my parents are pharmacists so they can give me the prednisone.
      Can tinnitus go worse when you take it? Someone who has tried the drug has been cured or improved?
      I'd like to hear your opinions guys!
      Thanks!:huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    5. Stefan K

Stefan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly Music/Power Tools
      Yes I would recommend taking it, I saw a significant improvement after I stopped taking it over 2 weeks period with the first initial dose at 50mg for 4 days then tapering off. Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Mikie_Mike

Mikie_Mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Ear Infection/Prescription Drugs?
      My ENT started me at 60 mg for 4 days, and then I tapered off, spending a a total of 12 days on this drug. You may have some side effects (they're dose dependent), but hopefully not ... just wanted to make sure you were prepared. I'm a big guy, so maybe the 50 mg that @Stefan K recommends might be more appropriate for you. Prednisone is a powerful drug.

Just in case you have a reaction, here is some info on side effects. You might note some of the posts ... but all those side effects should pass ... mine did! :)

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/06/10/prednisone-withdrawal-symptoms-how-long-do-they-last/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Elenna95

Elenna95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you!

8. Elenna95

Elenna95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Your t improves after prednisone? Thanks for the info:thankyousign:

9. Mikie_Mike

Mikie_Mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I had an ear infection, so it was a different situation. So for me, my ears were "stopped" up for 3 weeks, and my T was low to moderate. When I took the prednisone, and my ears opened up to sounds they hadn't heard in a while, and the T got very loud ... but it went back down to lower levels now. Because of the infection I also had a little hearing loss. You have a different situation, so shouldn't have the same experience ... I'm hoping yours goes away. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Elenna95

Elenna95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You took 50/60 mg suddenly or you took 25mg-25mg/30mg-30mg every X hours?

11. Mikie_Mike

Mikie_Mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I took 60 mg/day, in one dose ... Did that for 4 Days, then move to 40 mg/day, etc. You should do this under the supvision of a doctor, just to make sure you get the right dose for your size, and/or in case you have negative side effects.

12. Kristian M
      Sad

Kristian M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      hi,

i know i'm very late in the process (7 weeks) but is there any chance steroids can help me still and how does it work??

best regards kristian

13. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      It's way too late for you. The window closes at 24 hours... 72 hours MAX.

14. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I'm about 5 days out from my onset of my spike from antibiotics. I'm worried about the Prednisone because I still may have UTI (got another test done and am awaiting results) and definitely can't be on Prednisone with an infection in my body. Anyone who's taken Prenisone have problems with infection?

15. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How do you know that? It seems like there've been people posting with decent results much longer than 72 hours after the onset of their T.

16. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prednisone, Prednisolone, Methylprednisone

I hear these 3 steroids mentioned often and am wondering if any one worked better than the other or if they all worked the same for people who had a reduction in their T? What's the difference between them? Also, which one has the least amount of side effects?

17. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I wonder this myself. I tried searching and was able to find something.

Prednisone needs to be converted into prednisolone by the body, so prednisolone is a little more effective...

Methylprednisolone is usually given intravenously.

Did you find the same?

18. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      They are the same thing, but some small differences matter.

Cortisone is usually given by injection right where you want it, when the problem area is visible (like you can't shoot cortisone blindly into the lung). It's also a short acting glucocorticoid and on the weak side, can be found in ointments.

Prednisolone and Prednisone are the same thing with a different trade name probably. Both intermediate acting glucocorticoids and quite potent.

Betamethasone and dexamethasone are long acting drugs, very nasty for the immune system, extremely potent.

And then there's Celeston, an intramuscular injection containing betamethasone sodium phosphate and betamethasone acetate which actually lasts for an entire week in your body and can have you sleepless and running around like you're on cocaine.

If you want my humble and non-scientific opinion (but one that was forged on the great university called "Home Improvement for 6 months") I'd say that 16mg Betamethasone 3 times a day after a possible acoustic trauma is a sweet spot (for 2-3 days, no need to taper).

19. Athena
      Bookworm

Athena Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unspecified
      Hi all, just wanted to post that next week i am starting a 5 day round of stereoid intravenous injections in Germany. onset is 4 weeks, hereditary presbyacusis as well on the higher frequencies.
      any suggestions or comments welcome.
      i will post an update on the success of the treatment

@undecided you seem quite knowledgable, do you have a pharmaceutical/ medical background>

20. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      No pharmaceutical or medical background.
      I'm self-taught, therefore partly a source of misinformation :)

Hope your injection party goes well, good luck.

21. Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Load sound - Acoustic trauma
      I have tinnitus induced by acoustic trauma.
      Aproximately at 30 hours post trauma, I started 40 mg of prednisone, then, this second day 60mg because I was confused with the dose. Does any one know what is the standar dose for this case? 60mg or 80 mg?? I don't know if I should go up to 80mg right now.
      No time to see the doctor! And I must take the possible window period. I would appreciate any help!

22. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Gonz What dosage did your doctor prescribe?

23. Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @racerfish I haven't seen the doctor. If I wait for an appointment, it'll be too late for steroids (48 hours window period). So I started by my own. I have prednisone because I have used it many times in the past for skin related problems. (But 40 mg for a week and then taper).

24. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Gonz I'm definitely not a doctor, but I've taken prednisone before and seems that 80mg is A LOT. It's powerful stuff.

25. Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will take 80mg for 1 to 3 days, depending on how much I can tolerate that dose, but at least for 1 day. Then back to 60 mg and then taper. 80 mg is the starting dose they suggest in a google book that I found. I prefer to take a high dose now that my window period is finishing.

Am I doing the right thing? I'm not sure. But I'm scared with this ringing in my ears, I'm going crazy. And if I wait to see a doctor, it may be too late. I prefer to know that I did everything I could.

26. racerfish
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Gonz - good luck and be careful. let everyone here know what happens and how the medicine works out for you.

27. Andi Wijaya

Andi Wijaya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      mine.. 100,100,50,50,25,25,12.5,12.5,5,5,2.5,2.5

28. Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I will make an update soon. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your taper Andy.

29. Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      I am currently on Prednisolone, 80mg per day for 4 days, 40mg for 4, 20mg for 4, 10 for 4 and 5 for 4.

Currently at the end of my first four days. Stomach hurts.. acid reflux too. But the new ringing that started last Friday seems to be gone. Between the steroids and the vasodilator (minoxodil- which makes my heart race, my head woozy and my feet bloat) I am quite uncomfortable but at this time I would say it was worth it. Hopefully I can continue to say that in the days to come.

• Informative Informative x 1
    30. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Update on prednisone? I am a week in since my symptoms began...debating on if its worth taking? Side effects dont seem appealing and my case is mild and noise induced...help please