Steroids: Prednisone / Dexamethasone / Others (Oral and Injections)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Prednisone is quite safe to take if you limit to a max of around 10 days-2 weeks and make sure you taper down :) You will notice you're quite hungry while taking.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Is it true that prednisone can help hyperacousis?

3. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      No idea. I took it a lot this year because of several acoustic traumas, and I just took it again for a surgery (not related to ears).

Doesn't seem to have any effect on H but I'm afraid my T is louder since sunday (that was the last day I had to take it).

4. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Day 5 for me and no change in my reactive t or H:(

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Did you take it just to see if it can work or was there another reason ?

Don't focus too much on potential improvements these days, it does not necessarily happen like that. Sometimes it gets better in a very subtle way, over a several weeks frametime.

6. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      For reactive t and burning pain, was hoping it's due to some inflammation, sadly not:(

7. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm debating getting Prednisone as I have really damaged ears quite clearly at a young age (loud T, no hearing loss outside possibility of it being bad somewhere above 8k but haven't tested), and a simple wood mat slamming against ground has made my T worse (db meter recorded it at 114 at ear level). Wouldn't seem a 1 second sudden noise would cause damage, but when yours ears are already badly damage (Mild T from 18-26 and bad T from short noise exposure, 26 1/2 years of age to now at 27) perhaps your ears can't take much more. I'm already 4 days away from 2 weeks and it's been even worst the last few days.

So, I seem to be deteriorating further and I won't be able to handle this and NAC/Mag type complexes I'm shoving into my mouth seem to do nothing so I think maybe I need to try this.

Prednisone is pretty safe during a short course is the general consensus, is oral the go-to method? Am I too late with being a week and half past the injury? Should I even do it for something like my case, which seems like a minor exposure in terms of time, yet 114/115 seems very loud even a short time for damage ears, and I clearly am not getting better, actually worse lately in noise level.

8. sweden1991

sweden1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nightclub? stress? sinus issues?
      Hi,

What is the suggested dosage for prednisolone/prednisone?
      Got tinnitus 3 mo ago, and yesterday it spiked a lot ([erhaps due to pub noise).
      Can it still help? if not, it won't hurt right?
      :(

9. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-50mg max 2 weeks and don't forget to taper down slowly. Get a pill cutter if required.

10. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      If you got it 3 months ago .... Then it probably won't do anything.

11. Mahr
      Doh

Mahr Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably hair cell damage
      Prednison. A medication very often used for different kind of things. If it will help to cure the T? It depends on the actual cause of your T. did you havr an infection? Yeah, prednison might help because it drains fluids and helpts to stop or cut down an infection. Is the cochlea damaged by sound? The I do think prednison won't do anything but give you side effects. (and you might feel euphoristic because of it)

12. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just did a 5 day course and while on it, I think it might have been slightly lower. It helped slightly reduce the fluid in my ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Started prednisone at 35 days of T, need support...

Not sure how I got the T

Today will be 50mg, took first 25mg this morning, nothing for 3 hours, now high volume T, loud as loudest I've had but not louder...

Is that normal?

Next dose at dinner time.

No other side effects, just loud t and bad h

14. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Prednisone at 35 days won't do anything for your problems, why even try I ask? Should have tried it earlier.... the louder tinnitus can be a COMPLETE coincidence. C-o-i-n-c-i-d-e-n-c-e..

15. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I also wasn't sure about the onset so long...but heard mixed reviews and opinions....

This article says 4 weeks:

http://www.masseyeandear.org/for-pa...ation/diseases-and-conditions/sudden-deafness

My ENT says 1 month.

On another post a Doctor in Germany says 1 month.

I saw other articles from official sources, but lost the links...;(

So it seems there are 3 sets of guidelines:

24-48 hours
      2 weeks max
      4 weeks max

So at 30-35 days thought it might be worth a shot as long as I have no side effects

Up to now no side effect, louder T might be imagination. I'm super healthy, run 10 km a day and swim in the morning for about 40 minutes, blood pressure 120/80, good nutrition, BMI 25 and so on. Knock on wood though...but I would say that if you are in shape, no side effects, unless I'm just lucky ;)

16. Cam Cam

Cam Cam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I will update you lot in the coming week to see how I get along. It is not tapered it's just 60mg Prednisone straight for 10 days from the doctor

17. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Window for oral steroids:

OK, I finally found the link to official National Institute page.

For those of you out there, 2-4 weeks.

Now is that 28 days or 31 days?.... Who knows, but worth a shot.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...nts-equally-effective-against-sudden-deafness

". Oral steroids, such as prednisone, are usually prescribed over the course of 2 weeks to restore hearing. There is only a 2- to 4-week window of time for treatment before hearing loss becomes permanent."

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. rpalmquist

rpalmquist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      What's your experience on getting an injection of prednisone or dexamethasone into the middle ear?

Background:
      - I've been taking prednisone orally for since January 19th (9 days now) and I'm finishing tapering my dosage. The prednisone works in reducing my T, but as the dosage goes down the T goes back up (we initially ramped down the oral dosage and T went up; then briefly ramped back up the dosage T went down; now I'm ramping down again and the T is going back up).
      - I've been having trouble sleeping because of the prednisone pills, so I do need to get away from them.

Question:
      - Should I get a series of shots of prednisone directly into my middle ear? This way the dosage doesn't go to my entire body. Here's one link I found: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...nts-equally-effective-against-sudden-deafness. Do let me know your thoughts. Thanks !!!

19. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      You are too late for steroids working for you. But I guess getting the injection won't cause any harm and worth a shot?

20. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Hey Fella's (& ladies),

After almost a month of daily hours reading about T, I just realized I missed something.
      Shots of steriods directly in the ear. I heard about fusion and oral teroids (I received the latter).
      But no one ever said anything about a shot in the ear.

Now I am enrolled for the AM101 trials, and I am getting my first shot in less than two weeks.
      But I am doubting the efficacy and risk-factor (especially the microsuction.)

Mild form of T since more than a month, now.

Do any of you believe the chances of recovery (if any) are higher with steroids or AM101? I clearly can't combine both for sake of the research. And I do have the risk of getting the placebo.
      Or is it too late anyhow for any recovery with steroids (mind you I had some the first weeks in tablet-form.)

Any insights on these steroids-injections?

21. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Hey @JurgenG,

Many members here claim that intravenous corticosteroids injections might be effective in the beginning of the onset. Not sure about intratympanic, though. There are always benefits and/or risks. However you've enrolled already for the Keyzilen Trial.

Say, is there a way to share to me info how to enroll also? Can't find a thing online. I'm also new to T just like you (about a month). I'd be willing to take that chance. I'm quite frustrated.

Thank you in advance.

22. JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phase 3 is just starting, I've enrolled but will only receive my injections (if I don't change my mind) in two weeks.

This is the site, I am not sure this is available in Greece, or if you can visit another country for it.
      http://tinnitus-study.info/

23. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Thank you @JurgenG,
      I mailed also Auris Medical. They informed me that is not possible for me to enroll as there is no trial site here in Greece, and they will only accept citizens of each country of site retrospectively.
      Lucky me

24. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      On Tuesday I started a prednisone taper for some sudden hearing loss (30 mg a day, and tapering down from there every 3 days). The first dose went ok, aside from the normal stinging sensation I always get on tapers. I have had small, fever like experiences from pred. as well, but that is it, and I have had it on a taper basis 3 times before with no major problems.
      My hearing initially improved Wednesday morning, and I felt absolutely wonderful. My muscle tension also disappeared for some mysterious reason, which was greeaaat!

But ever since yesterday afternoon, I have felt like a complete trainwreck. My body temperature is fluctuating out of control, massive hot flashes, circulation is completely messed up. I feel really hyperactive and even self destructive, and have little control over my mood. I have felt faint and have had strange things happening to my vision. Oh yea, my apetite is dead too, and I slept in for at least 3 hours today.

Should I stop my prednisone ASAP?! I have only been on 2 days, but some tell me to stay on the 8 days left of my course because quitting cold turkey is dangerous. I have stopped the pred. cold turkey a couple times before, with no problems, but it seems necessary here.

25. JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Had some loud encounters today (110 db in 'in-ear-phones) so too loud too be good for people with T.
      Shall I start to take some prednisone? Really wanna beat any inflammation. (last time I took was a month ago.)

Any risks?
      I am not planning to do this every time.

26. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @JurgenG
      I know how distressing tinnitus can be in the early stages but feel you are doing too much too soon. I believe it's much better to slow things down and take your time especially when your tinnitus was caused by noise exposure. Tinnitus often improves with time. I know a few people that have tried steroid injections into the ear but not in the early days with tinnitus. The procedure cost them a lot of money and no improvements. That is not to say that it won't help you because we are all different. I just think you shouldn't go down this route at the moment.
      A referral to ENT and follow up with a Hearing Therapist is what I recommend.
      All the best
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    27. JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your comment Michael.
      In this case I was wondering to start an other oral steroid therapy again though. Since I just have been exposed to loud sound today. (+- 110 db for twice a second in one ear.) -While I am super careful..-
      If there is no risk for my ears I think I will. (To be sure)

28. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand how you feel Jurgen just be careful. If you haven't read my articles, please click on the links below as you might find them helpful.
      I wish you well.
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    29. JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, was a great read!

I am still wondering if it's okay to start taking predisone if it was just one month ago. (If there are no risk concerning my ears.) I don't mind any other (temporal) negative effects.
      Sorry for the "spam" just literally sitting here with the box of pills. Doubting.

30. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Injections of steroids only work until 48 hours after trauma, so the sooner the better.