Stopping negative messages about tinnitus by ENT and medical community

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by J Cowan Hill, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. J Cowan Hill
      Fine

J Cowan Hill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1982-2001
      Hi

I am a craniosacral therapist, psychotherapist and tinnitus consultant that helps people let go of this condition based in London. My website is here: [URL deleted by moderator]
      I let go of my severe tinnitus after 20 years of symptoms and have worked with over 600 people with this condition over the last 15 years.

One of my aims is to ask medical practitioners, especially ENTs to stop telling people with tinnitus that there is no cure for it and that they have to learn to live with this.

As I am sure you are aware that, if tinnitus people believe this negative message, they may find themselves facing the thought of a lifetime of Chinese Water Torture in some cases. To state the obvious, tinnitus is directly linked to the fight or flight response. If tipped into overwhelm, symptoms generally go through the roof. Negative messages cause tinnitus to worsen and long term negative prognoses like this can be so damaging it can lead people to becoming suicidal.

It is so much more helpful to direct people down the psychological/therapeutic route. Telling people to settle their nervous system with therapy, and take up a grounding practice like yoga and tai chi etc which often leads to symptoms backing off dramatically is a much more positive route. If medics and ENTs are not allowed to say there is no scientifically proven, medical cure for tinnitus, wouldn't it be better to direct tinnitus people to therapists who can help?

How do we stop thousands of people being damaged by negative messaging like this. Talk about a nocebo effect!

I have written to the ENT and Tinnitus Association of Great Britain and they have both snubbed me. I sent them a clear example of a man who went to an ENT, spent 15 minutes with him, and within a few hours became suicidal. If he had come to me, he would probably have left feeling calmer, clearer and with clear sense of a way forward and a care plan that would help his symptoms abate over time.

Have you got any advice on how to stop medics traumatising tinnitus people with negative messages?

Best wishes

Julian Cowan Hill

• Like Like x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      No, Mr. Hill, I do not. It is a battle that cannot be won. Believe me, I have tried.

My suggestion would be to keep delivering a strongly positive message yourself ... and do not worry about trying to fix the unfixable.

One other suggestion, if I may. When posting on Internet support sites like this one that do not permit advertising, do not post a link to your own professional website as you did above. On the Internet, credibility is everything.

All the best -

Dr. Stephen Nagler