Strange Tinnitus Symptoms

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Erin Grober, Feb 20, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Erin Grober

Erin Grober Member

Hi everyone. My tinnitus symptoms started about a month after an ear infection in my left ear. I hear it in that ear only. Usually, it is pulsatile in nature or a hissing sound, but sometimes it is a high-pitched ring. Cold weather and wind seems to make it worse. Also, I can sometimes hear body sounds in that ear, like my stomach gurgling or joints cracking. I told my doctor about it a couple years ago and she told me it was impacted earwax. I sometimes use an earwax cleaner, which does help a little, but by the next day, I'm back to where I was. I have occasional ear pain too. Anyone else have similar symptoms? I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not. I don't have any symptoms other than my ear symptoms.

2. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Welcome Erin,
      Just curious....Have you been to an audiologist, or maybe an ENT?

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Erin Grober ,

I can relate to your symptoms of pulsatile tinnitus and hissing. I have those too (only in my right ear).

The ability to hear internal body sounds could be caused by a condition called Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome (SCDS), where there is a small hole in the bony part of the inner ear. Here is an article I found about it:
      http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/superior-canal-dehiscence-syndrome/

It might be worthwhile to read up on it, then visit your doctor.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Informative Informative x 2
    4. Erin Grober

Erin Grober Member

No, I haven't. My doctor told me that if using an ear wax remover doesn't work, I should see her again and she will refer me to an ENT. I've been afraid to tell her because I'm worried that it will be something serious like acoustic neuroma. I am planning on bringing it up again at my physical.

5. Erin Grober

Erin Grober Member

I've heard of this disorder, but I don't think that's what I have because I don't hear my eyeballs move and I don't have balance issues. But it may be possible that I just have a milder case.

6. Have you had impacted ear wax for a couple of years or have there been periods without the impacted wax?

7. Erin Grober

Erin Grober Member

I'm not really sure if that's what it is. I'm hoping that's all it is, though.

8. DinaS

DinaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Erin. I would strongly suggest a visit to an ENT. good luck

9. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Erin,
      I don't think you have to be too concerned about acoustic neuroma. That is routinely screened for by ENT but not often found, and they are operable. Keep us posted.