Street Musician Blasted in My Ear / Should I Take Methylprednisolone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Egg, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Hi,

So around 36 hours ago I was passing my a narrow street and as I passed him this street musician, who was playing at a rater safe volume decided to come near me and basically scream in my ear (with a microphone) I'm not sure how loud it was but I'm assuming it was above like 130 dB (maybe even more). Anyway I covered my ears immediately and ran off so I was exposed to the max levels for only about 1-2 seconds.

Afterward I didn't notice any added fullness or stuffiness, however the way my tinnitus spikes is that it goes from a lower pitch to a higher pitch for a while (this lasts pretty long) and at my best it is only kind of like a wind noise.

I noticed that I was experiencing all my different pitches that night and there was definitely an increase.

However I wasn't sure if I need to take a course of Methyprednisolone (only thing I can access at the moment) because I'm not sure what I am experiencing is acoustic trauma. I hope the spike is because of anxiety and not permanent damage -- which is possible as my tinnitus is quite sensitive to stress/anxiety.

What are some thoughts on what I should be doing and whether there is some hearing damage/ chance of permanent increase of my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Demand access to experimental medicines such as "neutrophin 3 via round window injection into the cochlea"
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4842978/

If that doesn't work get a steroid and take lots of magnesium. Just make sure you let the doctors know you are self aware better options could exist for hearing damage and we are living in dark times.

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Did you already had ear fullness or pain from noise before this?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not experiencing fullness after the incident. I had experienced some after my initial acoustic trauma and was treated with steroids. However there is definitely no fullness this time and my audiogram (a couple days before this incident) was basically perfect.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Recent research indicates that hearing test "tonal audiograms" used at most audiology clinics and ENTs are extremely inaccurate, they only test for hearing loss within the human voice range, learn more here about hidden hearing loss and how the inner ear is way more complex.

http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/

upload_2018-12-7_17-10-50-png.png

entma18-plack_fig-2-new-png.png

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595516302507

• Like Like x 1
    6. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      These ribbon synapses die, and speech in background noise/music loses it's quality. it doesn't show up in a test that determines how well you can hear in silence, any damage to the inner ear can cause tinnitus/noise induced pain. Not just human speech in quiet. Now that we know the tonal audiogram is literally just designed for "hearing in the workplace" and not the full picture of the inner ear being damaged, where do we go?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok I'm just trying to figure out if the momentary exposure to the musicians voice through the microphone would have caused damaged and might need to be treated with steroids.

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes of course it would as well.

Just like your original acoustic trauma, hurry and atleast try to get a steroid and take magnesium.

9. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

Is OTO 413 the only human trial of this drug?? Seems like they found a decent cure. Give it to us!

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you haven't felt ear fullness and your T hasn't changed, perhaps it is safe to assume that you got lucky this time.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A little bit of a spike but no fullness so I'm just going to stay relaxed I think

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Seems like there are way to many side effects to just take it "just in case"

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree. If the spike were to be huge, it would make more sense to try to do something about it.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi,

I was recently exposed to a loud street musician who decided to blast to his microphone super close to my ear as I was trying to quickly pass him. It has now been 3 days and I traveled right after which is usually no problem. I am not really experiencing a big spike (however there is a mild spike there) and didn't experience any fullness until today.

Do you think it may be related or would the fullness come immediately?

16. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did your spike subside???

• Good Question Good Question x 1