Stress and Tinnitus ...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dr. Nagler, May 31, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      In another thread @Dr. Hubbard wrote that stress does not cause tinnitus. I agree with him, but a significant number of people first become aware of their tinnitus during a time of significant stress in their lives (studying for the bar exam, going through a divorce, during the illness of a loved one, etc.) In that regard some authorities see it strictly as coincidence, while others have come to view stress as a "tinnitus-emerger" - as if stress uncovers tinnitus that was there all the time.

Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
    2. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I was told by my first ENT that stress plus my age related high frequency hearing loss is what is causing my tinnitus. He actually said that I am the problem. Let me tell you, I felt terrible leaving his office. I soldiered on for a month, had a nervous breakdown, found TT and some wonderful help from the members and my primary care physician who kind of took charge of me and helped me get stabilized.
      I recall in my research that someone --it may have been you on your site--said that stress, ''pulls the covers off tinnitus''. That always sounds very reasonable to me because thinking back I can recall temporary bouts of tinnitus for 10 minutes or so that resolved. Then in November it stayed.
      Many ENTs think that stress is a cause of tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1