Stress-Related Tinnitus — First-Time Post

Discussion in 'Support' started by RichardG, Sep 22, 2015.

1. RichardG
      Alienated

RichardG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi - I've had tinnitus for about 4 months now. It was brought on by severe emotional stress. I'm on meds for depression too also for 4 months). Several people all tell me that once I am over the depression and anxiety - the tinnitus will subside or even possibly go - I wonder if this is the case...anyone know anything? Also, I am worried about how I am going to deal with this once I come off the meds. On a positive front - I do not always wake up to it - it seems worse when I am tired...

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Richard,
      A warm welcome to the forum.
      Try not to worry about the tinnitus as you know stress will spike tinnitus.
      Dont be to hard on yourself and do all you can stay calm and let your medication build up in your system and give it months or years on the medication till your confidence is back and your happy self again and that will happen I promise.
      Tinnitus can be distressing and getting your emotions under control and sleeping well are the most important thing and try not focus on the sound itself .
      Try keep background sounds around you and some lovely relaxation music...lots of love glynis ( if your not having talking therapy it would really help you )

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardG
      Alienated

RichardG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Many thanks Glynis for the speedy response. I will hang in there for sure. I really do not want to stay on the ADs - but I have at least another 6 months to go. Yikes. I am just soo bloody consumed by this condition. I used to love taking afternoon naps and reading in the quiet, I am in my mid-40s but now feel like I am in my mid-70s! I used to be very fit before all this started! :9 thanks again for the resp.

4. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      Richard, my sister got T due to stress. Her husband was seriously ill. She said it went away after three months when the stress was gone.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardG
      Alienated

RichardG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Many thanks for your response Barbara. The stress has gone but I still have the depression! stuck in a vicious cycle. I will soldier - I have given up doing everything I used to enjoy doing.

6. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      How can the stress go when the t is causing the terrible stress. I had stress before constant day in and day out but now with the T I cant handle the stress.....in other words the T has taken away my ability to cope with stress....so how can it go away. Your sisters just went when her stress stopped? thanks mine is worse when i wake up and know i have to face another miserable day trying to cope again

7. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I think what people mean is if the stress was perhaps related to work or a relationship as an example and those problems were solved it could be that the T will go. I feel my present T is stress related and it is hard, as the stress of the issues is gone, but now T is my biggest stresser. But I hope when my limbic system calms down with meds it will go back to what it was.

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Richard ,
      Hope your feeling a little better and hope your meds are helping your low mood to lift a little and starting look forwards to the future....lots of love glynis

9. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015

My sister's stress was caused by her husband being terminally ill. It was a very difficult situation for her as she had to work and care for him, also. After he passed away her t was gone. Her stress was not caused by her t. Everyone's t is not the same and everyone deals with it differently.