Study: When You Die You Know You Are Dead

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lex, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Major study shows mind still works after the body shows no signs

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...iousness-sam-parnia-nyu-langone-a8007101.html

I hope only the consciousness lives on and not tinnitus (and hyperacusis too)!

Edited to add: This turns out to be about the heart stopping before the brain does, so I guess it's just the brain firing up all the neurons before it fizzles out minutes after. I'm still curious about this, though, because I read on Reddit a personal account of a college student who experienced 10 years of life (he met a woman, fell in love, got married, had kids, etc.) when in reality, he was unconscious for only a few minutes or something like that after he was assaulted.

• Like Like x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      People have also described that after these events happened they got yanked from their bodies and got transported to a place where all was serene and calm. Many have claimed that they at this point have seen and experienced God and that they were in a place that they felt truly at peace and their humans suffering was over. I know I will meet my maker when I die, and be allowed to be with him forever and be at peace in his presence. Of course this will take the rest of my life to hopefully show that I am worthy to be there.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @jer It's a beautiful thought. I wish I could believe in the same thing, that we live on but our pain doesn't. I used to think that, too, but it's getting harder for me to believe that. I feel that there's nothing, that life as we know it is pointless.

But no one really knows what happens after, so I hope I'm wrong and you are right.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I don't believe this for one second! Sorry.

I have read various accounts from people who have died temporarily and they all say the same: that it is blank nothingness with no consciousness. Some report feelings of warmth and being very safe and loved before ultimately getting to the "blank nothingness"

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @TheDanishGirl, the study makes it sound like the mind lives forever, long after the body has turned to dust. But when I read more about it, that's not the case. They're attributing it to a burst of energy just before the brain dies. It's a last hurrah of some sort. Maybe that's what happens before the eternal nothingness steps in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      That I believe in. Hopefully that last hurrah will be T-free.

7. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As you have noted, there is a difference between clinical death and brain death. When the heart stops you are clinically dead but not brain dead. The brain takes about 10 minutes to die without oxygen, during which time it struggles like a child who cannot swim in the deep end of the pool. As blood and oxygen supply (really nitrogen supply since that is the majority of what we breathe) the brain begins to die off. The out of body experience is hypothesized by some to be the result of the brain releasing the glutamate antagonist ketamine, which induces an out of body experience.

All I know is when I die, I'll get the last laugh as the tinnitus generator dies along with the rest of me, but that part will likely go first.

• Like Like x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Hearing is the last sense to go, so probably not...

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    10. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      When I was 18 I got in an big accident with my motorcycle and I was in a coma for 2 weeks. In those 2 weeks I went to school , watched tv...did my homework, played with my friends... And no I could not fly like in a dream...everything was just straight up normal. One moment I asked my friend if he wanted something to drink... and the moment I want to grab it I woke up in IC and all the things that I have done never happened. I cannot recall how long this period felt like, but it must have been at least a month. Perhaps it is your brain coping with the situation or something. But it made me wonder ever since.... if I am not in some sort of coma or dream now and wake up eventually.
      Everything was as real as I am sitting behind my computer right now. I even can remember what I learned in class during that period. Very odd ...... but also interesting

11. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      In all my years of lucid dreaming, I've never been able to have a "normal" dream like that. Are you sure there was nothing off? did you have tinnitus that could go away?

12. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Is there anyone out there who had had a near-death experience while they had tinnitus? And what happened?

13. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      As long as you can be brought back, you're not dead.

People with a cardiac arrest who experience blank nothingness aren't dead. They're unconscious.

People with a cardiac arrest who experience OBE and/or NDU aren't dead either. They undergo the thing you undergo when a certain neurochemical switch in the brain is flipped.

This part is a bit interesting, though:

Some of those studied say they had awareness of full conversations and seeing things that were going on around them, even after they were pronounced dead.

[...]

“You lose all your brain stem reflexes – your gag reflex, your pupil reflex, all that is gone.”
      Cool. So, we're having a properly carried out scientific study that confirms people in a very severe state can have visual impressions of their surrounding, and these impressions have been confirmed by medical staff?

Sceptics would say their dying brains registered some things that were said and saw some things through almost-closed eyes, and then their minds put together an edited memory afterwards. But that just means one unprovable theory (the mind exists independently of the body) is replaced by another (the brain has a make-up-a-false-but-credible-memory function, because everyone knows false-but-credible memories are of such great use, especially in relation to circumstances where your organism is threatened by termination.

Be as it may. We'll be stucked in this T-over-matter existence for quite some time, and it will be no easier to endure even if we're off to bloody Narnia next.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      There has been a longtime legend regarding the French nobleman, chemist and biologist, Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier. Lavoisier was sentenced to beheading during the French Revolution and, in the interest of science, conducted a final experiment to determine if the mind can be conscious after death. He asked a colleague, or one of his students, to stand by the guillotine, and observe if he blinked after his head was chopped off. According to legend, he blinked for about 30 seconds.

Sweet dreams!

• Like Like x 1
    15. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      That was residual muscle spasms. Like why a lizards tail twitches after it detaches.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Oh god, you know i don't believe in after life but since I've developed T i sure hope there is one because my life here is permanently screwed and I'd like a second chance :'(

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I wish reincarnation was a thing. Sounds better than an afterlife to me.

• Like Like x 1
    18. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      That is what I mean ...normally in my dreams....you go somewhere where you have never been before. Or things are just mixed up. This was just like day to day stuff.
      When I was 18 I did not had tinnitus yet I only got i 4 years now and I am 44

19. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      At the original post. I think they are just referring to someone who was unconscious but eventually end up coming back. So this does not add up to actually dying, which is another thing altogether. Also, when people sleep (or dream) they do not feel or hear their tinnitus. At least I have never had that happen. That is why I think we will be just fine after we die.

20. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Was there a consensus among the dead about this or did some of them disagree?

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I don't remember where exactly but the general consensus I believe in the medical community is this is the case. This is why people talk to dying family members minutes after they seem completely dead.

22. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It is indeed the current belief, but we don't have much of a proof.

23. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I believe we monitored the brain as it died. I'm on low battery so I'm going to sign off for now.

24. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's right. That's why I say it's not much of a proof. Maybe a better word would be hypothesis.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Yeah, cardiac arrest patients who technically died but were later revived. So more like near death experience only and not irrevocable death.

Although I'm thinking that if our brain do get a burst of energy in the last few minutes before irrevocable death, then maybe we get to experience "eternal heaven" in a way. In real time, it takes only minutes before the brain dies for good, but in our perception, it can feel like forever. Sometimes, when I nap for half an hour or so, I have dreams that feel like days or weeks long.

And yes, I don't have T and H in my dreams. :)

• Like Like x 1
    26. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nobody has come back from death. People very close to death might have had natural chemicals released in their brain which can bring about similar results to very strong mild-altering drugs such as DMT and other hallucinogenics, which may cause them have some incredible visions, memories and insights, but they were still alive.

27. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Try explaining this to my parents. Everytime I do they say "It's visions of the afterlife".

28. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most of us are taught from a very young age to believe in the afterlife, so the people who come periously close to death already expect to see what they've been told it is like. Even the non-religious probably have a similar experience, with some of them changing their minds and believing in the afterlife, and others remaining skeptical.

• Like Like x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Personally, I don't want an afterlife especially reincarnation because doesn't that sound so exhausting, living forever and worse, going back to this hellhole we call earth?

I'm good with nothing after. If my brain wants to give me a psychedelic experience before I fade away, then I'm down for it.

• Like Like x 1
    30. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      In my opinion, in reincarnation you don't remember past lives (For the most part at least). So you don't feel "exhausted" from constantly living, like how you aren't exhausted from the 13 billion years the universe has been around.

With an afterlife you feel that eternity

And I would want more than one life, so what fun is wasting away?

• Like Like x 1