Success Story! One Year and Four Months Later Everything Is Back to Normal

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by paganismos, Jun 18, 2019.

1. paganismos
      Angelic

paganismos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Syringing (Acoustic Trauma)
      Hey everyone, it's been too long!

I thought I'd come back to write my success story because for me these kind of things were very important at the beginning of this thing, so I took a break from my thesis (that I have to hand in at the end of the month if I want to get out of university finally) and here I am...

I'm not gonna tell you my whole life story or how things started for me because I did quite a job doing that a year ago, so if you're interested in the things I tried to do, or the therapy I went to, it's all in my old posts.

Anyways... I know it's really hard at the beginning, but it gets so much better with time. You just have to be patient and focus on other stuff. The first four months I was suicidal. I don't know how I survived that to be honest. It took willpower, therapy, and a lot of friends who had my back. It was a really stressful time for me and my family (I live far away from them), it was at the start of the semester and I was taking a very important class that period that I don't know how I passed with the highest grade. I used to cry and breakdown in class, in the street, at public transportation, lmao. It was terrible.

To calm down I tried everything: mindfulness, CBT, even got my tarot cards read, haha.

Fast forward to now... Everything is back to normal. I went back to living my life as a 21 year old college student. I go out. I go to the movies. I sing karaoke. I go dancing with friends. I went back to gigs (everything with earplugs, obviously!). This year has been really good for me and I'm happy. Tinnitus can't stop me and although its been the hardest thing I've gone through, I'm still here and that makes me very very proud.

I still think about it almost every day, but it really really does not bother me at all. I don't know if it's much lower, but I don't normally hear it, just when I lay my head on the pillow. Things do get better, just give it time.

On the other hand, I think religion had a very high impact on me while I was in the dark. It made me feel good and it calmed me down.

So yeah, I don't know, I don't like how I wrote this but I haven't practiced my English in quite long so sorry if it's not that fluid. I just don't really know what to write.

• Winner x 9
      • Hug x 5
      • Like x 4
      • Optimistic x 4
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Funny x 1
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Was it always like this when you got it? Or did it reduce over time to this?

Do you mean you just notice it when you lay your head on a pillow or you can't hear it unless your in a very quiet environment?

Regardless, I am happy you got your life back!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Thanks for coming back to tell your story @paganismos! So many people disappear when they get better, so it's great when some stick around to help others. Hope you'll check in again occasionally :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      paganismos
      Angelic

paganismos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just notice it when I lay my head on my pillow. If it's very quiet I just hear like a white noise around my ears but nothing else.

I think it reduced over time... At first it felt like it was a laser light going through my head. I'm not sure if it reduced over time or that at first I was just super conscious about it and paying it too much attention, hence noticing it more.

Thank you!

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey! Did it lower slowly over the months?

Like was it loud for many months and then slowly got softer and softer?

So in a quiet room now during the day you don't hear the tinnitus even if you have no tv or music on? Do you still use headphones to listen to music?

Awesome that you only hear it when your head hits the pillow, that's the dream.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      paganismos
      Angelic

paganismos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yup. I think it got softer and softer. Mine wasn't that loud, you know? I still could only hear it in silence but now it's different. I don't know how to explain it? Basically it was a tone before that faded and now i'm stuck with a white noise around my ears so it's not that noticeable and it's a bit more acceptable for me haha.

If I'm in a super quiet room I only have a very very soft white noise. I used to mask all the time but now I don't need it anymore because I don't notice it anymore, so I can be in silence and not be aware of the tinnitus.

I don't use headphones anymore :-( It's so sad because I miss them so muuuuch! But it helped me and it changed my relationship with music a lot. So yeaaaah.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @paganismos Thank you for sharing and G-D bless. For all that are suffering it is a matter of time that you will habituate. And when you habituate tell the world how you feel! We need hope!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Racehorse

Racehorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      Congrats Ms Pagan girl. I would say I’m in the same boat as you. As long as it stays like it is we are golden. Let’s just be careful not to make it worse. And yes - Praying is king!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Sam98

Sam98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced OR TMJ. Still unsure
      Hi I’m late to this post. Congrats on overcoming this, I hope to do the same in due time.
      I’ve seen other posts about how you hear/or heard crackling noises every time you swallow. Do you still experience this? Was it ETD or TMJ or something else?
      Thanks so glad to know you’re feeling better and sharing positivity to others. Hope all is well!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Sam98

Sam98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced OR TMJ. Still unsure
      Also can I ask what kind of ear plugs you use for concerts? And you use them for the movies as well? Does it depend on the movie or theater? Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Alvise
      Lurking

Alvise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic Trauma in childhood with onset after 26 years
      How long did the aural fullness last?