Sudden Fullness in Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dij111, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Dij111
      Paranoid

Dij111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure(Fire Alarm, Headphone Usage)
      Hey guys,

I've been watching streams with speakers on fairly low volume, when I noticed my hyperacusis ear have this tingling sound to it, afterwards it has become full and muffled sounding. I feel some pain on that ear now.

Anyone experience this before? Kind of freaking out here.

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Im experiencing that now from a loud unexpected sound.

my h and t have been playing up ever since.

the muffled hearing and pain could be ttt (protective spasm of ear muscles in response to noise).

can you get an audiogram for some reassurance?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Don’t freak out. It should pass. Just avoid loud sounds till it goes away. Just try to relax.

Yes, it happens all the time to me. I feel I’m allergic to music. Even at a very low volume through speakers my ears get irritated (one in particular) and start to swell up and if I don’t stop they get muffled, whooshing/rushing sound, increased T (reactivity), and even result in temporary conductive low end hearing loss, that can last a couple of days. That’s when it’s really bad, like unbalanced hearing and head buzzing, some pains in and around ears and head. I think for me it is to do with TTTS / acoustic shock disorder and, I suppose, hyperacusis as there were some acoustic traumas in the past 6 months.

Just this morning I woke up pretty good after a “normal” spike day yesterday, no noise incidences. Got to work and decided to play some very quiet music, which I have not been doing lately. After a couple of hours I noticed it happening so stopped. My ears were very swollen inside and T zinging. They’re slowly getting better but now I’m having a spike.

It can actually be caused by other sounds too but particularly music. Ears just don’t like it.
      TV is ok. I don’t feel I like I have any sound sensitivities really as is typically the case with hyperacusis ie things sounding too loud, although in the past I have. My ears just puff up.

Only other thing out of the ordinary was that I did drink a cup of coffee today.

Just ride it out. Don’t do valsalva manoeuvre, just try fake yawning and see if that helps. See an audiologist. Others here might recommend TRT to desensitise your auditory system, but no idea if it works as it’s not available here.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I swear it’s like an allergy response for the ears where sound is the allergen.

With hay fever you experience swelling and inflammation because your body has become sensitised to allergens like pollen, grass seeds etc. To me, this is the same principle occurring. Your brain perceives sound as a threat, possibly because at one time sound may have actually caused some damage, maybe not. Or maybe your brain perceives the sound of T as a threat and, if sound makes it react, then it perceives other sound as a threat too - so goes into protection mode. Who knows.

But 50, 60, 70db sounds cannot possibly be causing damage for such short durations, therefore it must be a sensitisation response. Silly ears and brain. Tres annoying because no matter how positive your attitude is or how much try to ignore it, it just happens.

5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is something definitely swelling up in or around the middle ear causing a reduction in space and therefore increase in pressure. I suspect it may be around the ETs causing them to shut, because otherwise the ears would equalise easily. Also my ETs seem to often snap/pop open quite aggressively despite no change in altitude, hinting that there must be swelling around them.

I don’t quite see how the T can be spiked during this occurrence, unless the swelling is irritating the inner ear or auditory nerves.

Sorry if this is too much info, but it’s been bugging me for a while now.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dij111
      Paranoid

Dij111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure(Fire Alarm, Headphone Usage)
      It did go away with time, no more feeling of fullness in both ears, my eardrums also stopped twitching from sounds.
      Improvements are coming slowly but surely.

• Like Like x 4