Sudden Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Shem, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Shem

Shem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single Sided Sudden Hearing Loss
      Hi everybody,

My story mirrors a post a few lines down pretty much exactly - woke up a week ago with ringing and what I found out later that day to be profound hearing loss in my left ear. No discernible cause. I am getting the standard treatment course - prednisone and dexamethasone injections. I saw a little bit of improvement after two days, but nothing since then, and am still pretty deep into the "profound hearing loss" category. Basically getting sounds that sound like a broken speaker for low bass tones, and very little else.

To be honest, if it was just the hearing loss, I think I'd more or less be ok with it, but the tinnitus has gotten progressively worse over the past week, to the point now where the volume level almost seems like somebody is playing a high pitch sound directly into my ear at a high volume level. It's to the point where it seems like it's impacting my ability to hear even out of my good ear, because the volume level is masking everything else. It's always on.

I was glad to find this site, and read some of the stories - but (and please no offense) it was also pretty depressing because I was hoping for some concrete action I could take that would make it go away, but based on everybodies stories it doesn't seem likely. On the other hand, it's nice to know that there are other people out there who are in the same boat, and have learned to deal with it.

One thing I was reading about that seemed promising was the use of cochlear implants to reduce tinnutis. Any member here gone that route? I would be very interested in hearing about their experience.

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am sorry that this happened to you :(

Hopefully your doctors can figure something out and help you out. Tinnitus is an ugly ordeal and its even more horrible, when it happens for no reason. On top of that have hearing loss is also horrible. I have an extreme in both cases and I get bothered more by the hearing loss, than my high pitched tinnitus, which causes hell in both ears 247...

Take care

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shem

Shem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single Sided Sudden Hearing Loss
      Thanks for the kind words Fishbone. Much appreciated. Sorry to hear about your situation, I hope you can find relief as well.

• Like Like x 1
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I been at this crossroads for over 2 decades. I have managed to live with it, it's not super fun, but it's life and I don't stress myself out over it. I am actually trying to date again, with these poor ears, that's the hard part. I still go for the gold, no matter what bro.

That's how I live :)

• Agree Agree x 1