Sudden Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bobster59, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Bobster59

Bobster59 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic neuroma
      hello fellow Tinnitus Talk patrons!

Been around loud noise most of my life , 62 , and have had mild T for over 20 years. I'm a musician and after gigs my T would be high but always settle down by next day. I gave up the gigging life 12 years ago to help protect my hearing. I've been teaching acoustic guitar ever since.

Last March after a lesson my hearing in my left ear dropped out (deaf) very quickly in less than a minute or two.. It lasted for 15 hours and slowly came back with awful T and H and very distorted. My right side also had the high T but no distortion.

Now I have 2 to 3 bad days (T&H 2 tones) followed by 1 or 2 decent days (just T mostly 1 tone). Decent days being somewhat less by 30 or 40 %.

I've tried to pinpoint what could have triggered it.

2 weeks prior to SHL I had a tooth filling replaced , upper molar same side as left ear. That took 45 minutes of drilling. My tooth was bite down sensitive for 3 months but that has subsided. 2 days after the sudden hearing loss I caught a cold.

I also started taking heart meds for AFIB 15 months ago.. Take your pick ! Audiologist says I have moderate hearing loss left side and mild on right side. My high tones are shot. That's the T I hear though. The tone that never leaves matches a high G note. The nasty high hiss I believe is in the 8-9K region.

Distraction is my key , staying busy. Staying away from the negative thoughts . I have no choice but to accept so I will. To me that means not being obsessed with my T even though its my constant companion. My AFIB will kill me , not T.

At least 2 days a week is more livable which is a bright side. yay ! I read a guy that said he puts a imaginary wall up next to his ears and pretends the sound is actually on the other side. Another said he finally made friends with his T.

Hope you can figure out what works for you. I'm glad to be here. Lots of reading which is a good distraction. I've learned a few things already..

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey @Bobster59 , Welcome! If you have not, please search out posts by @Michael Leigh (I have been referencing Michael's posts so much at this point I may have to ask for a commission :) ); He has numerous, very helpful and informative, posts that will help you understand the options and possible treatments. Also, @Bobbie7, and @billie48 have numerous inspirational posts that will give you hope on the days where it seems to be in short supply.

And, there are many success stories sprinkled through this forum. There is also a positivity thread in support that will give you positive thoughts to help keep the negative ones at bay.

I wish you the best, and hope you have many more good days than not.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Kolisar
      I appreciate you refrencing my posts and as soon as I get my first pay cheque you'll get your commission:)

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hey @Bobster59 - Welcome!
      You know Sudden Sensori Neural Hearing Loss is a thing, and it doesn't necessarily need a trigger. It happens to a small percentage of people every year. You could have been unlucky. I was originally (mis) diagnosed as SSNHL and was explained that nobody knows why it happens. The traditional attempt at restoring the hearing is to use steroids (either oral or intratympanic).
      Good luck.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Best wishes, from another muso,
      Jazzer