Sudden Increase in Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ryan1234, Mar 26, 2017.

1. ryan1234
      No Mood

ryan1234 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Hello all. I had a very mild form of tinnitus for multiple years. Honestly, I could barely call it tinnitus considering it was barely audible to me except in a 100% silent room.

However, I have recently experienced a sudden increase in the T and can hear it audibly at all times. I'm just curious as to your thoughts on why this could be. One possible reason could be the fact that I was on numerous flights last week with a cold. another possible reason could be that I had been using earplugs to sleep for the past 3-4 weeks due to a noisy neighbor. When having the earplugs in the T was very loud obviously given the fact that it was being plugged up.

I'm just concerned that having the earplugs in is what is causing the sudden spike in T volume without the earplugs in. I doubt that I could have permanently changed the T volume given the fact that I only used earplugs for a few hours for a time period of 3-4 weeks.

Lastly, I am under a lot of stress right now and that could be what is causing the sudden increase in T.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Ryan.
      IT could be the flights and cold blocking your sinus or eustation tubes causing the tinnitus spike and the stress wont help as will ramp up the tinnitus...lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Glynis thank you. I wish you the best. So you don't think the earplug use could cause any long term changes in T? Especially considering I only used them for a few hours for about 4 weeks?

4. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Not in my opinion...lots of love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @glynis thank you for your opinions

6. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ryan1234
      Sorry to hear about your increase.
      Have you had any recent noise exposures? Taking any new medications?
      Have you had a doctor check out your ears? Do you have pain? My sister ruptured her eardrum on a flight, but that was very painful and I think you'd know if you had done that....

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @Samantha R that is the strange thing, I don't think I've had any significant noise exposures. No loud concerts recently or anything like that. I have been to a doctor and she said that my ears looked a little inflamed so she gave me Claritin d to decongest me which hasn't lowered the t at least not yet. I will probably go to an ent soon. I have very minor pain every once in a while but barely any pain at all. Aside from Claritin d no new meds. I feel it would be much greater pain if it were a ruptured eardrum most likely . Thank you for your thoughts!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @Samantha R i am just hoping if I relax and try to reduce stress and anxiety about it that it will return back to its previous levels which were hardly audible to me. We will have to wait and see

9. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ryan1234 I hope it goes back to your normal level as well. Please kee me posted.
      Hopefully the increase is due to your ears being slightly inflamed, and I think it's a good idea if you can relax and stay calm. Easier said than done though, I know.
      Maybe you could get a hearing test as well, an ENT will probably send you for one anyway. At least you can see if anything is going on with your hearing....

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @Samantha R thank you for the kind words! I wish you the best in any troubles you may face

• Like Like x 1
    11. Doug_1029

Doug_1029 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know - possibly antibiotic given as a child
      Hi Ryan,
      Interesting thought about the ear plugs. About 2 years ago, I developed sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSNHL) on top of my lifelong tinnitus; unlike the latter, it was low-frequency tinnitus (roaring or waterfall sound rather than high-pitched whistle). Not long before, I had managed to lose one of those little ear-bud rubber fittings in my right ear for a couple of weeks - it detached from the ear bud. The ear canal became very sore, enough to worry me.

Before I could get in to be seen by an ENT, I felt a foreign body, and VERY CAREFULLY (don't try this) reached in A SMALL DISTANCE, no more than an eighth of an inch or so, with a pair of tweezers borrowed from my wife. I got hold of the body and pulled it out, and presto! It was the ear-bud rubber tip. Soreness gone in an hour or so.

But then, not long after, the SSNHL.

The ENT didn't believe the inflammation is what caused the SSNHL. He's active in research and is unaware of similar reports. But I have to wonder.

Doug

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @Doug_1029 wow well that must have been quite an experience! For me I was using ear plugs to sleep that were squishy and moldable so I don't think it's possible that something became detached and lost into my ear. They are pretty solid and would only break apart if pulled with some force. I wish you the best

13. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Hello @ryan1234 , It could be from the airplane flights. I got fluid in my ear in 2008 from descending on a flight. I haven't flown since :( I think I may have caused damage in my left ear. But you list loud music as a cause so it may be a combination of things in your case. I have some neck issues that may be contributing to my noise. Tough condition to deal with, that's for sure. I hope you can find some relief. Stress can definitely make it worse IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @just1morething thanks for the support! I hope it reduces to a level where it is barely noticeable. time will tell. I wish you the best with your own troubles

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Nice to meet you all! I have had a few nice interactions on this website and would like to first say this is a great website that gives people a healthy outlet for communication in dealing with this extremely troublesome issue. Anyway, I would like to quickly share some details about my personal situation.

I honestly don't think I had tinnitus until about three weeks ago. I may have heard the slightest ringing sound in a silent room and I slept with a fan on, but that was mostly because I liked the sound of it. However, I don't think I actually experienced lasting tinnitus considering I would barely ever notice it and it doesn't seem accurate claiming I had tinnitus for years. If I did have T, it was the mildest form of tinnitus possible.

However, that all changed after returning home from my trip to Europe. I had a very noticeable ringing in the ears and went to an ENT. His audiologist performed all the tests on me and said everything was normal and that I had zero hearing loss. He prescribed prednisone and a nasal spray, which I do feel has helped lower the T to something that isn't noticeable throughout daily activities.

I now have some pressure in my sinuses, some ear pressure, sore throat, and still have the ringing but as I said it is reduced as compared to a few weeks ago. I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on this/a similar experience. I am hoping that the ringing subsides further soon, but obviously this is unknown.

Thank you to anyone who read this and is willing to give their opinion. I will most likely talk with my ENT shortly as to ways to reduce the sinus pressure, which I do feel is strongly related to the ringing in the ears I am currently experiencing. Lastly, I recognize that many of you have had far more serious problems with your tinnitus than I am currently experiencing and I am not claiming that my issues are equal to those. I wish anybody who is having a tough time all the best.

16. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Ryan,I would try steam inhalation to clear your sinus and tubes.
      Sounds like you have a virus in your system and when it has cleared and your ears settle your tinnitus should also.
      If you make a lot of mucous you could try a basic allergy medication to see if that helps....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @glynis thank you for your advice. ill give it a try. all the best

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @glynis

is it common for the tinnitus to linger around for a few weeks after the cold ending? I wonder how long it usually takes for tinnitus to leave/decrease significantly after a cold ending

19. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @ryan1234 ,
      It can take a few weeks after a cold virus for tinnitus to settle down.
      If not gone after 4-6 weeks have another check up !

Love glynis

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @glynis okay thank you for your thoughts. I wish you the best

21. Peat_Fairmud

Peat_Fairmud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      explosion near left ear, resulting in torn ear drum
      All sorts of things could cause a spike, though I doubt if ear-plug usage is one of the them.
      I had tolerable levels of tinnitus - both ears - for 45 years (after an explosion close to my ear damaged my ear-drum as a child), but just 3 months ago, on quitting an anti-depressant I'd been taking for 7 years, my T. spiked badly: by 40%!

Now it's like I'm under daily, constant siege, fighting for every moment of peace; I do combat using:
      walking, yoga and meditation (lots of meditation; I'm lucky enough not to have to work nor do I have other responsibilities, otherwise, I would have necked myself by now)

It sucks.
      Just when life was beginning to ripen into something somewhat enjoyable, out of left field, SCREECH! WHOOSH! and it sounds like someone has opened a portal to hell, INSIDE my brain.

Life mostly sucks.

• Hug Hug x 1