Suggestions.... What Do You Do for Headaches?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gin, May 3, 2016.

1. Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      So I just got off the phone with my ENT. He's setting me up for a steroid shot into my eardrum. For the last 3 weeks my T has been almost unbearable. I took 10 days of steroids, antibacterials, and diuretics. But none of these did anything. My biggest problem is, the T is soooo loud it gives me massive headaches. But I know taking aspirin and Ibuprofen makes it worse. So my question is what do you for headaches, and to get some relief? He is prescribing me Valium for sleep. Does that help? Looking for suggestions....

2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I don't know what to say about headaches :( Headache powder contains acetaminophen and caffeine so I don't know if that will make it worse or not. Can you get tested for hearing loss? If so, I think hearing aids with built in maskers might be of some relief to start off with. If you still need help you can talk to a doctor about other options.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I did get my hearing tested. My left ear has low frequency hearing loss. My right ear also has hearing loss. MRI came back clean. Steroids had been helping but the last round did nothing. He is suggesting steroid shot in the eardrum now. I'm kinda on the fence regarding this. I have heard a lot of bad things about it.

4. NineNails

NineNails Member

@Gin ,

I can relate. I'd suggest unconsciousness. Anything that knocks you out cold for some hours. Getting REM sleep can calm down T. But getting there is most days mission impossible. So yes, sleeping meds for short-term may be an option.

Another option, yourself. Namely Gin, alcohol. Sometimes that can affect T. Anything that affects the nervous system can have some efficacy.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Ive noticed after 2 glasses of wine it disappears completely for an hr or so. My doctor did prescribe valium to sleep

• Like Like x 1
    6. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      HI Gin,

What caused the increase? noise? is it just happened? Also do you have only have low frequency loss in your left ear?

7. NineNails

NineNails Member

It disappears completely. Wow! That's awesome.
      Mine only gets calmer. Though it's a gamble for sometimes it does nothing or worse it gets louder.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Im not sure. It started back in July but has only increased in the last 3 weeks. Just a loud hum noise. But a loud tone developed in my left ear just recently on top of that. If Im outside or in a restaurant its almost unnoticable but in my house and office its very loud. I did notice if I get on the treadmill it disappears for an hr then comes back. Sometimes if I move my neck in a certain position it stops. Me and my ENT are in the process of figuring out whats going on. I dont think Im going to do the steriod shot. I read too many horror stories.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      It is low frequency inmy left ear. Im not sure about my right. I do know that there is hearing loss there too.

10. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      I'm no wine drinker, but if this is true I would be pounding the vino day and freaking night!
      A temporary 'cure' as such is mostly unheard of..

• Like Like x 1
    11. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      ... and probably means you are good candidate for treatments etc to find a permanent cure. Maybe cold laser, or one of the hearing aid options..

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      3 beers did the trick tonight. Only 20 minutes of relief but hey its something

• Like Like x 1
    13. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      I couldn't do the steroid shot either, thanks to the net. My aunt had it done for vertigo, and nothing bad happened. She only got better.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Im just too scared. Let me ask with tinnitus do you wake up every morning w a huge headache. The last three weeks, every morning I wake up in the morning w my ears blarring neck hurting and a bad headache. Headache lasts most of the day. Im just scared maybe its not T. Even though my mri came back clean. My T used to go away for mths and then come back but generally only last 14 days max. Ive only had this for a year. Steroids usually make it go away, but sadly this time it did not.

15. NineNails

NineNails Member

@Gin ,

You said the treadmill helps so maybe that's a treatment: more physical exercises. And the wine in the evening. ;)
      Maybe your T has to do with blood circulation. Wine thinnes the blood. Cardio workout increases the blood circulation.

16. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Yes, I wake up I'm the morning with headaches, neck, shoulder jaw head aches/ pain/ tension and waves of nausea.

17. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Gin . Don't take aspirin for pain relief. It's a known fact to much aspirin will give you tinnitus and will make it a whole lot worse. As for ibuprofen it's a anti inflammatory drug and they are also bad if you have tinnitus.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      So what do you use?

19. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I get really bad headaches and I take Solpadol or Solpadeine(Paracetomol+Codeine+Caffeine)and it works great for the headache and doesn't affect my T one bit!

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Is it something u have to have a doctor prescribe?
      I just took lipoflavonoid today for thefirst time. Only 4 of them my T went down about 60 percent. Thats a good sign, right?

21. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Gin
      Sure sounds like we have a lot of similar symptoms. I also have the loud humming that is not bad outside but in my house it's horrible! Headaches every day (which I was taking Aleve for but stopped once I learned that it makes the T worse), neck pain and very loud T especially in the morning (usually wakes me up from sleep around 5 am then can't get back to sleep). I got this once before about a year ago and after all tests came back normal, I started physical therapy. About 2 months in, I noticed a decrease in symptoms and then they all went away (except for the T, which I can live with) I can't say for sure the therapy "cured" it but I think it definitely helped because my therapist said my neck was a mess and worked on getting it aligned. I'm about a month in this time and scheduled to start PT again in the next few weeks. I'm just living with the headaches right now though, so I don't have any good suggestions for you unfortunately. I try to not stress my neck too much. Thanks for the lipoflavonod tip, I'll try it! Hope you get some relief soon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Well Im going on 2 hrs of really really quiet T. Finally broke down took one aspirin but i noticed after I took the lipo flavanoid, the noise Headache and dizziness decreased as well. Im excited. It says takes 2 weeks to work after it builds up in your system and Im on day 1. Praying it keeps up. The big test will be in the morning. Thats when it is usually horrific

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Well, I got really good sleep last night. But my ears were ringing again this morning. I just took my lipoflavnoid, hoping it works again today.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Rosie_Rose
      Balanced

Rosie_Rose Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1989? Maybe longer
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      @Gin - one of my neurologists suggested caffeine and sugar to help with headaches/migraines. (black coffee and something sweet). If you have headaches everyday perhaps you have a migraine disorder. Everyone is different but the caffeine and sugar help with my milder migraines. Fioricet takes the edge off the bad ones.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Doesnt the caffine and sugar effect your T though?

26. Rosie_Rose
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1989? Maybe longer
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      No. But everyone has different triggers. I did give up coffee for about 6 months at a dare from my neuro - I was miserable! (n)

27. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      I used to get a lot of headaches too, fortunately not so many now. Dehydration often causes headaches so first off I would drink a big glass of water, incidentally alcohol often causes dehydration. I also use a U.K product called 4Head. It's menthol type stick you rub on your forehead, not sure quite how it works, something to do with relaxing muscles in head and reducing tension.......yeah I know ....but it often worked for me. Don't know if it's available in U.S. drug stores, Walgreens may be worth a try, they
      seem to have more U.K. products since they took over our Boots, our largest Chemist chain. Amazon.com does ship it to the U.S. If I've still got a headache I take generic Paracetamol (Acetaminophen in the U.S) it has never made my T worse.

• Informative Informative x 1
    28. Rosie_Rose
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1989? Maybe longer
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      @Andunwoody - Oh yes - I forgot about the dehydration! Thanks for reminding me. It also helps with my dizziness. Raising the blood volume so my blood pressure wasn't so low.

29. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Gin
      Keep me updated! I'm going to get the lipoflavonod today! @Andunwoody reminded me that someone told me to use Vicks vapor rub on my forehead for headache relief. I never did, but I'm going to try it as well. My T is really loud today so hoping for some relief. Question: does anyone have pain when they roll their eyes up? It makes my headaches worse and I can't stop doing it (like pushing on a bruise)

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I've done Icy/Hot on the back of my neck and on my forehead (for the headache) it is a little relief. My brother mentioned that giving up the caffine may have something to do with it. Possible. I really didn't drink too many. Maybe 2 or 3 diet pepsi's a day, throw in a coffee. No coffee at all now. Maybe 1 diet coke a day. My T is lower today. But my head is still killing me. Dizziness isn't as bad as yesterday.