Summary of Drugs and Investigational Treatments

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Carlos Galiano, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Carlos Galiano

Carlos Galiano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      For me. Bad news. Chronic patients are marginalized. Regarding AM, it states that only take effect in tinnitus 1 year. Someone is using VNS Forum being tested?

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/43843/title/The-Sounds-of-Silence/

"To treat the condition, the group set about designing a drug that would block NMDA receptors. These days, Auris is testing the small-molecule drug S-ketamine in two Phase 3 trials of trauma-induced tinnitus patients. The treatment, delivered directly into the inner ear via three injections over three days, must catch the disorder while the problem is still within the ear, before the brain has begun overcompensating for the loss of hearing. Once that happens, no amount of adjustment to the receptors on the auditory nerves will do any good."

"Preliminary results suggest that S-ketamine is effective beyond three months, but declines in effectiveness within a year of the initial trauma, so later stages of the trial are being refocused on the four- to six-month time frame. The trials will be completed at the end of this year, and Auris hopes to submit to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for approval in the summer of 2016."

2. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      In theory, there can be several opinions. This does not mean however they are correct in their reasoning. What is chronic anyway? How can they easily define it when they cannot yet solve the T problem?

A cure is not found yet, and they claim that there are thresholds: 6 months, 1 year, etc. This is ridiculous: Even if there is a threshold, why not a couple of days? All other cases are chronic IMO. It is simply outrageous to give a therapy to a 11 month T patient and not to a 12 month patient because, suddenly a magic button is pressed and there is no return. And what nice, round numbers that is! 6-12-18! It is so funny, really...

I wouldn't believe such articles until drugs start giving results. And these drugs have not been found yet, or at least found to positively work, or we would already have them at our hands.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      How exactly did they come up with 1 year?that seems to be a chronic duration of time.

4. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, that "Chornic" is more that unknown and unclear term in t case.
      I se "chornic" as realistic just in 2 options:

1) First several days after acoustic trauma, where u can do corticosteroid therapy, HBO etc to save injured hair cells. - after that all is chronic

2) When brain used to sound, if u listening to your T for years, plasticy of the brain remembers it, and than maybe the drug can not have results as sound is carved in the brain.-after that all is chronic

All other theories about "chronic" are bit unrealistic, and lets say illogic...

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I don't necessarily believe in the chronic/forever timeline as the Gospel. It is just based on the fact that if you have T longer than a year, then it is most likely gonna stick around. However, there have been reports of people who's T went away after several "chronic" years.

My T can go down to a 2 or 3 at times like today. I have had it on rare occasions go down to a 1 for a day or two. Other times, like the past few days, it can be a roarin' 8 or 9 (where it normally is).

The fact that mine can go down so low sometimes is an indication to me that there must be a mechanism or volume switch in my brain that can do that all the time. Just got to find it.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    6. RODRIGO

RODRIGO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      The concept of chronic is arbitrary about time, and simply explains that healing can take some time. But chronic not imply that it isnot curable. And in tinnitus, the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Good point. I think people can easily assume that if T become chronic (by definition) then it is incurable because up to this point that is pretty much what chronic has meant.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      Ι am always curious about these cases. Do we have positive facts or just rumors? Any links available? It is just hard to believe it can suddenly go away on its own.

My T does exactly the same. And this happens to most T sufferers. Good and bad days. One theory I've heard is that this depends on the everyday functioning of other ear parts, such as eustachian tubes. They seem to have good and bad days, our ear parts generally have good and bad days, when we have a cold for example, or otitis, even a mild inflamation that goes away after a couple of days. Also, do you remember the temporary ringing buzzing of our ears after exposure to loud noise for a few ours? Yes, the buzzing of the head that goes away after a good night sleep... Imagine all thses cases added to the constant buzzing we do have now. It could explain the T rising from 2-3 to 8-9 at the scale of ten... And then it comes down back to normal. It may take more to us T sufferers, 2-3 days. Hence the period of good and bad days. It only takes 1 day for healthy people.

We used to have good and bad days before, it is just now that we notice much more profoundly.
      This is just a theory...

One other point I can make regarding chronic cases is the fact that some people get better after time. Although they still have T at about the same amount, they report their H gone, or sound distortion getting better. The last has happened to me. I can listen to my favorite mp3s much better now, the distortion parts (mostly high frequencies) seem to correct themselves after several months time, mostly the lower frequencies. The upper remain damaged, hence the H, hence the distortion, hence the remaining T which does seem a bit "thinner" and more high pitched.

This is not a theory, it is fact. I just cannot explain why it happens. Is it the time passage? The several treatments I 've tried, (Keppra, Ginkgo, vitamin E) I don't now. Whatever happens it seems to happen at a really slow rate, at my bad days I do feel nothing have changed but at good days I notice improvements.

What is the meaning of all these regarding chronic sufferers?
      Perhaps time is our ally, not our enemy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Eltel

Eltel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/14
      At 4-30 am two days ago my right ear almost silent and yet a few hrs before it had been noisy ,this suggests to me that it's not broken just needs fixing somehow .

10. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I believe this is correct. The new research regarding Kv channels function recovery (or failure to do so in our cases) seems to suggest this.

11. RODRIGO

RODRIGO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I think the degree of perception of tinnitus is proportional to the degree of consciousness. If you are focused on a topic or are disfrutanco , you can not have awareness of tinnitus, and it disappears . If you sleep , when you wake up usually you do not have a high tinnitus, so you're going to have more awareness. More and more I am convinced that while medicine finds a solution or relief will be most useful to learn not focalziar consciousness in tinnitus by psychological therapies , or by mindfullness . It will not solve the tinnitus but would suffer less ...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Nucleo u suggest that Kv channels can also be "repaired" just in acute <7-10 days after a.trauma?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlos Galiano

Carlos Galiano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      We can deceive or assume the reality demonstrated by the tests. Beyond 6 months ago virtually no drug effect.
      There is serious evidence to support that thesis.

"Because it is not known When That transition from ear to brain OCCURS, one of the current trials, of 300 European patients, testing is tinnitus sufferers Specifically Who Have developed the condition no more than three months prior to treatment. The other, to study of 330 North American patients, is investigating a therapy Within one year post-trauma. Preliminary results Suggest That S-ketamine is effective beyond three months, but declines in effectiveness Within a year of the initial trauma, so later stages of the trial are Being refocused on the four- to six-month time frame. The trials will be completed at the end of this year, and Auris hopes to submit to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for approval in the summer of 2016. "

14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Tinnitus likes anniversaries, hence 6-12-1yr-2yrs-3yrs-and so.....it loves attention and to be worshipped.