Supplements for Acoustic Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lauren Morse, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma/Migraines
      Well, the unthinkable happened where bending too close to a toilet flushing for 2 seconds set off hearing damage, ear fullness, and of course new T tones in one ear. Also mild vertigo, depressive episode, and dissociative symptoms . Overall a small loss but big consequences for my well-being apparently.

Currently, T is not getting unbearable but the ear fullness and hearing loss are turning my life upside down and putting a lot of stress on my brain to orient my body in space correctly.

From acoustic traumas in the past, I know to take loads of vitamins, NAC, magnesium, gingko, and eat lots of greens. So far, nothing is helping me, and in fact I am worse 2 days after the accident than I was the few hours after it happened (???). I see a neuro-otologist in 2 weeks, and I will not be able to get steroids before then.

Are there any other supplements or alternative therapies you guys have used in events like this? I know it's pretty futile but perhaps there is something I have not thought of yet.

Thank you!

2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      A toilet flushing?Do you have H by any chance Lauren?I find it hard to believe that a toilet flushing could cause permanent hearing loss?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Shit happens - toilet induced tinnitus !

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I just flushed every toilet in my house,some noisier than others and measured them on my DB meter.The loudest toilet peeked at 69db so I doubt your toilet was noisy enough to cause an acoustic trauma Lauren,if you have H it may have hurt your ear but I doubt it done any damage :) Jesus our ears make us do some weird shit no pun intended lol.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly it was something else going on. I do have progressive SNHL and I get small losses regularly from panic attacks, exertion, or loudish noises. This ear did have another 'injury' a few days prior (grated the earplug in my ear by accident when brushing and it sounded like gunfire) that may have made me more susceptible. But I had seemingly recovered from that noise within a day.

Then again, I am extremely susceptible to noise damage. Same thing happened (hearing loss that never came back, ear fullness, pain, vertigo, new T tones) when I: took a kinda loud shower, sang a folk song in the car, bus decompressed nearby, piano played for 5 seconds or me walking in high heels with earplugs in...the list goes on and on with noises that should not normally harm anyone but which harmed me.
      So, I am not surprised when I bend over close to a toilet.

I do get transient hyperacusis, but not during this event, so as far as I am concerned that is not what is going on right now. If I am having more trouble making out conversation out of that ear, it can't be H.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just checked my toilet decibel level. I live in a college dorm and we use industrial toilets, so they are a lot louder than normal home toilets.

The decibel meter clocked in at around 95-100 db. That's loud and damaging over an extended period, but I am still not seeing how that could get me in 2 seconds!

7. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      is it a real decibal reader? or an app? because I got an app for it once and it was way off, it said that just someone talking was 60-70 db

8. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      in a quiet place