Support Dr. Susan Shore's Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Allan1967, Nov 28, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Allan1967 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm not referring to any person in particular @Ed209. It's just a very broad loose generalisation.

2. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      @Starthrower, @Allan1967, @Ed209

For some stupid reason, I like it when you guys spar and I'm glad you are doing it in one place.

There's been talk of doing another fundraiser on Tinnitus Talk early next year.

This way the issues are coming out now and we can have an issues management list to address the concerns before we start the next campaign.

So please, keep sparring away. I wish we could sell tickets and make a couple extra bucks.

TC

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Allan1967 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm not sparring TC... Just being open and challenging and happy to receive the same and put my hands up if I'm wrong.

4. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whatever you're doing it's getting the issues out. It's a little short on solutions, however.

For example, if people don't like donating on the internet what do we do about it? It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's about making it easy for someone to donate by allaying their fears. If the answer is to argue with them you may do nothing more than shut them down and you've lost a donation. Maybe the solution is to state up front that the website is secure - maybe BTA or Tinnitus Talk can take the money in for us and simplify the process to address the concerns? I don't have the ultimate answer, we need to look into it.

Also, the last fundraiser we did, GoFundMe had a minimum donation of 5GBP so the idea of donating 1GBP was not practical. @Ed209 came up with a way around it, but it was complicated and frankly I didn't even see the suggestion so it must have flown by me. So how do we address that minimum donation requirement?

And what about the fact that once a fundraiser is posted tinnitus sufferers come to the site and jabber away about their tinnitus and never donate? What can we do to try to diffuse that?

What about deciding what the fundraiser will be for? Last time we found that it was a little easier after people knew specifically what the money was going towards and not just the broad term of research.

And how about some means of kick starting the campaign again after the first wave settles? Last time someone matched the last few donations so we could get to 5,000GBP. Maybe we can plan ahead for that. There were some pretty awesome graphics associated with that push, if we can plan ahead maybe that can be repeated.

And please do not take offense to this, but I've observed people respond extremely well to your pitch and say they will donate and ask you to whom they should donate. Unfortunately, you weren't ready with a suggestion, a link, a means to follow-up. I'd be willing to bet that no one followed thru and donated.

We've now got some good experience and minds here let's put them to good use.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Starthrower, @Ed209, @Allan1967, @Samantha R

Let's move the discussion about donating and fundraising to the Benefactor's Corner.

I've basically started an issues management list in the last post, I'm going to repeat it in the Benefactor's Corner. Please add to it. Then we can go down the list and decide on tasks and make some decisions and set some deadlines.

We need accountability and its to each other.

@Ed209, forget the bit about not being involved, we won't take no for an answer.

@Allan1967, you need to become a benefactor. If you can't swing it just now, please PM me.

Ok, I'll get off my broom now.

TC

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Starthrower

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi fellow sparrers :).

Thanks @Allan1967 and @Ed209 for listening (or rather reading) and understanding. It is important that we can spar back and forth while discussing this important issue of fundraising.

I don't have time until later on today.

But I think I wrote in another thread about using Tinnitus Talk for fundraising efforts for whatever research or cause we discuss. That way the donation site does not take a percentage even if it is small. That way we do not have to include private information to an outside source. That way we can collect one large sum from all who donate easily and safely on Tinnitus Talk. That way a percentage will be known to go towards Tinnitus Talk which only helps the site and all the members.

It seems there can be so many causes popping up that it is overwhelming and donations just do not happen. Some just cannot give for very important reasons and these people are the ones those of us who can donate protect from feelings of guilt. Those can help out with ideas or what they feel is important.

Inclusion is so important for all of us suffering from tinnitus.

And Ed started this all up!!! Allan has that same push factor. We just need to blend in compassion.

Will check in later. Thanks @TuxedoCat!!

• Like Like x 1
    7. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Indeed @Starthrower. Let's keep the discussion around fundraising at a low level to give everyone the space they need to get through the holidays. I posted just a few thoughts about donating other than fundraisers in the Benefactor's Corner. Drop a thought or 2 there if you can. TC

8. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

OnceUponaTime Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies or Acoustic Trauma, Stress
      Where?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Allan1967 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      In the thread. I said they aren't begging for donations but if you ask them, they welcome them.

Their exact words in an email to me:

Thank you for asking! Dr. Shore can absolutely use donations to help move her research!!! All donations we receive for Dr. Shore’s work goes directly to her research!! We are trying our best to come up with a cure for the nearly 50 million people (in the United States) who experience Tinnitus.

Thought you might want to see the work we are doing.

https://news.umich.edu/specially-ti...toms-in-test-aimed-at-condition-s-root-cause/

https://research.medicine.umich.edu...ort-office/clinical-trials-spotlight-tinnitus

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/research/u-m-team-develops-device-quiet-ringing-ears

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Thank you!!!

Best,
      Dina Kutinsky

• Like Like x 2
    10. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rajin,

I donated to Dr. Shores research at the University of Michigan. They are asking for your address and email so they can send you a thank you letter that shows the amount of your gift so you can use it for a tax deduction if needed.

TC

• Like Like x 1
    11. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glynis needs a hug. Go the General Chat and give her a hug. Help set the record for number of Hugs

• Like Like x 1