Supporting Cells Relationship with Hearing Loss Level

Discussion in 'Support' started by Graig, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Graig

Graig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Seems there is an indirect relationship between how many supporting cells are remaining and level of hearing loss. Is it a linear relationship or exponential? For instance what percentage of supporting cells are remaining at different hearing loss levels (30, 40, 50, 60, 70, etc. until down to extreme profound hearing loss where as I understand it there are virtually no supporting cells remaining.

Is there any data showing this relationship?

I know that it would be based on a given frequency of hearing. My curiosity is regarding all these potential treatments on the horizon that require supporting cells for treatment to be effective. My situation is high frequency hearing loss (>4 kHz) where my hearing loss is between 50-70 dB so I am kind of on the fence from my research. I do think it's encouraging as I've seen recently that frequency therapeutics has opened up the door to multiple treatments.

I would think if my hearing loss is moderate to moderately severe that i have supporting cells that could be treated maybe multiple times to get my hearing back at least somewhat? Might be wishful thinking but seems reasonable.

Any opinions or data regarding supporting cell quantity or % versus hearing loss level? Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I want to know the exact statistics as well. Good question.
      also 4k is a mid frequency.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Graig

Graig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Thanks for the correction

4. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      This (image) NEEDS to be the absolute basic standard of every single ENT and audiologist. Thank you for stating everything so perfectly.
      Why in heaven's name is it that the only people who "get" what good hearing actually is are some laypeople on an internet forum? Hello medical professions!! What is wrong with this world?
      Sorry OP I know this is off-topic for this thread. I'll bow out now.

• Agree Agree x 1