Surgery Anyone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by fyodor48, Mar 12, 2017.

1. fyodor48
      Transparent

fyodor48 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, suspected stress!
      Having been a tinnitus sufferer since 1994 app, and endured the associated dizziness in varying degrees of severity I like many other sufferers tried most everything on the market through the NHS to no avail.

My dizziness along with vomiting multiple times per day grew in its severity making me almost housebound, eventually, my ear doctor suggested taking me in for day surgery. The treatment he said would result in losing my hearing in my left ear but should help the dizziness and in some cases help if not eliminate the tinnitus.

He suggested I do some online research and come back to him, having tinnitus only in my left ear I thought I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. After the procedure, my dizziness left me almost immediately, but sadly my tinnitus continued raging on as before if not more severe. So with no hearing now in my left ear, except for those damn'd noises, it was a small price to pay for getting rid of sickness and dizziness.

It was only after the procedure he told me my alleviation would not be permanent!! for which I thanked him, but am grateful 5 years on with only a slight return of dizziness and no vomiting, I got both terrific counsel and treatment.

My question to tinnitus sufferers out there who have had to resort to the same treatment, did it cure or help your tinnitus?

Many thanks for reading to the end my first and rather lengthy post.
      Fyodor

2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      What is the name of the surgery?

3. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Wow, not many doctors are that open-minded !

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Could be gentamicin injection.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fyodor48
      Transparent

fyodor48 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, suspected stress!
      apologies for being tardy in reply, I have been away visiting relatives, ..I did search for the paperwork on this procedure, but alas without success.
      re the openness of the Dr, I think he wanted me to look at different outcomes, given the only guarantee was for me to lose my hearing in my ear for definite, due to the procedure. As I mentioned it was a no brainer giving what I was experiencing on a daily basis.

Greg, I can't say for definite to be honest, although it does sound familiar. I didn't intentionally try to mislead anyone with my topic title; The Dr said I would come in for day surgery!
      What I can recall, is arriving 7 am, got usual pre-med checks, taken to theatre the put fluids of some sort into my ear, then it was back to ward for a few hours where I had to lye on my side without moving my head,
      after some hours past I was returned to theatre went what seemed similar procedure then back to ward repeating the above. I was then discharged as an outpatient at 7 pm in the evening
      If that is procedure for gentamicin injection Greg, then you have nailed it, Thanks