Swedish Research Study! Sign Up Fellow Swedes!

Discussion in 'Research News' started by SwedishSImon, Jan 15, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. SwedishSImon
      Joyful

SwedishSImon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2007
      Hi!

Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm is conducting a study and needs people with tinnitus to apply for it. So far 662 people have signed up. I did so just now.

Here's the page: http://stop.ki.se/

Have a good weekend amigos!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Can you translate for us? What are they studying? How are they studying? What are the trial participants subjected to?

3. SwedishSImon
      Joyful

SwedishSImon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2007
      Yes of course, here's a pretty decent google translate of the Swedish description:

STOP - Swedish Tinnitus Outreach Project is a study conducted at Karolinska Institutet about tinnitus. STOP is the largest tinnitus study carried out in Sweden. The goal is to collect new information about tinnitus that can help us to understand the causes of tinnitus, its mechanisms and to improve the diagnostics of more effective treatments. We would like to inform decision-makers about the need to improve tinnitus care in Sweden and provide recommendations and guidelines for tinnitus treatment.

STOP investigate the prevalence of tinnitus in Sweden, its causes and possible genetic origin. To participate in STOP means that you will respond to questions in a questionnaire. Depending on the different responses in the questionnaire, a number of individuals with and without tinnitus will be selected for a visit to a STOP center to provide a saliva sample, various ear measurements and evaluation of possible tinnitus with a new and simple diagnostic method.

Whether you have tinnitus or not, will your participation to help prevent tinnitus and better care for tinnitus patients.​

This seems to be a well organized study, conducted by one of the most prestigious medical institutes in Sweden (I would say THE most prestigious). In classic Swedish manner it will take time and as with all science, the outcome will be discussed back and forth. But it's a great initiative; for us tinnitus sufferers to get some answers and for the society to raise awareness about tinnitus.

Stay classy, wear your earplugs.
      Simon

• Winner Winner x 2
    4. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I am kind of pissed at Karolinska for not stopping Antinitus for using their name . :p

5. ady

ady Member

Antinitus is also using veterans in their marketing fiction, they spammed my e-mail address earlier

6. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Hope they burn in hell :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      @RaZaH,

Hell would be to comfortable, for those scumbags! There has to be something worse than Hell? Oh yeah, what am I thinking......give them all tinnitus! }:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2013
      Am I the only one or does this study sound akin to something that should have been done 10-20 years ago?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. SwedishSImon
      Joyful

SwedishSImon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2007
      Yeah I get that but Karolinska is a really good institute and I have hope this could lead to something!

• Like Like x 1
    10. SwedishSImon
      Joyful

SwedishSImon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2007

I know, feels like this is the kind of research that could find something really useful. Or they won't find jack shit, time will tell

11. kristinsj

kristinsj Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No known reason
      i signed up yesterday, but all information in the email you receive is in swedish... might be nice to know before signing up. good for us scandinavians anyway....

12. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Well, the whole site is in Swedish, so at least I wouldn't expect English information coming in emails :)

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. starlite
      Amazed

starlite Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Work
      Well this is just a study, Nothing else.
      Like filling a form if you have tinnitus or not, I wass hoping for a drug or something.