Taking Prednisone Two Weeks After the Onset of Tinnitus — Should I Risk It or Not?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lulu187, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Lulu187

Lulu187 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey guys,

I got ringing in my right ear on the 9th of September. I woke up and it was there, a couple of days prior I took paracetamol with codeine in it. I personally believe this is what caused the ringing as I was having severe breast pain for a week before this all unravelled.

I never take meds, I never drink or smoke and am in a very healthy weight range. But I do have psoriasis and have had it for a good 9 years now.

I saw an audiologist about 5 days ago and she said I have no hearing loss. Then payed big bucks for an ENT who said there's nothing he can do but prescribe prednisone. He gave me 25 mg for 5 days. I have not taken it yet.

I have read that it can make the ringing worse. Can some of you please tell me your experiences with it. I've never taken it and am scared of the side effects.

How much prednisone you take?
      For how long?
      Your bodyweight?
      How long after ringing started did you take prednisone?
      Did you combine it with any other therapies?
      Did it make it worse or better or no effect?

Thank you.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      I was not offered prednisone when I first went to the doctor. Only years after I have learned that steroids can be given. They may or may not help and have side effects. From this point of view, I would like that I have had a chance to take them on time so that I know that I have tried everything possible to prevent tinnitus and hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      The dose sounds a bit low. I was given 60mg for ten days. After day three I quite cause it was giving me horrible acid reflux and I couldn’t sleep. But, I would say if yo u can go through with it then do it. Also, you may want to take a PPI to help with the stomach...

• Like Like x 1
    4. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There's no proof it works anyway, read the original study. It's completely flawed. They only used a combination of pred and magnesium not prednisone alone and it's been shown since that it's magnesium which stop the tinnitus memory from forming.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I tried it when I first came down with t 2 years ago. I took one dose and had to stop since it caused a spike and also caused immediate mood problems.,

6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      How’s your hyperacusis and tinnitus now? I know you have suffered for ages... any better... I hope?

7. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      Thanks for asking @Daniel Lion My tinnitus was somewhat the same, and my hyperacusis maybe a little better. Still wearing plugs everywhere but home but my overall attitude was better. This also may be because I have developed severe anxiety caused by hyperacusis issues and then it manifested in other areas haha leaving hyperacusis area as it is :) That is the reason why I wouldn't want my tinnitus and hyperacusis worsen from the other day's trauma (MIG plane breaking sound barrier outside and I had no protection, my drums contracted in and out from the blast) since I have other stuff to handle...

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I hope some of the modern technologies coming can help you. I know you have suffered for so long. I do hope relief comes your way... you could make a living as a model as long as the photo shoots were quiet, you have a beautiful face... take care.

Please don’t be offended... I am pretty direct... so apologies if I made you uncomfortable.

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. Andrea Rings

Andrea Rings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 3, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Hello, @Lulu187 ,
      My tinnitus started in my right ear on Aug 3. My doctor gave me methylprednisolone in mid-September and I waited to take it because my husband was out of town. Then on Sept 29, tinnitus started in my left ear, so I decided to take the 6-day course of steroids. On Day 1 (Monday, Sept 30), I had to take 6 pills, on Day 2, the dose was 5 pills, and so on. I only got halfway through Day 3 (Wednesday) when I called my doctor to report light-headedness, a racing heart, sleepless nights, loss of appetite, and louder tinnitus. I was told to stop taking the course of steroids. I suffered from jitters, dizziness, appetite loss, and sleeplessness until Sunday (today). Though my tinnitus spike went down shortly after I stopped the course, I got another spike today in my left ear. It's louder than ever and I'm also feeling extra pressure in that ear. I did not combine the methylprednisolone with any other therapies. I weigh 123 pounds. Let me know if I can answer any additional questions. My best wishes to you - and all of us!

Attached Files:

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lulu187

Lulu187 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

I decided to take it for 2 days but then stopped after i read alot of feedback on a facebook page with quite a few people saying that prednisone/prednisolone actually caused their tinnitus and increased the loudness of their tinnitus.

I'm so glad for you that the ringing loudness went back down after you stopped the pred, sending you positive thoughts and energy that you recover soon! Is there any other treatments you are looking at doing?

I read about Dr Minbo Shim on here, that he performs prp treatments for behind the eardrum with excellent results, he reports but he charges an insane amount of money for this.

I'm leaning toward hbot for now, and taurine. I've not started it yet, but that's the direction I'll go in, until I can find and ENT that will offer this prp treatment in Australia for a decent price.

I just dont understand why he charges so much to use your own plasma. But anyway.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lulu187

Lulu187 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Did it effectively and permanently lower the tinnitus for you? Because 10 days at that dose sounds like the recommended time and dose?

12. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      Like I said I only took it for three days, because it was giving me a horrible acid reflux. So I did not get any benefit from it. My tinnitus is still here. The ENT told me that the golden window , so to speak, is taking prednisone at a high dose, within two months of the onset of T.

• Like Like x 1
    13. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I did 40mg for over a week. starting at the end of my first week of tinnitus. Did nothing imho other than give me even more anxiety and less sleep (which was sleep I really needed). The original study is a complete joke as I said ^ because magnesium was included with the pred.

• Winner Winner x 1